How long to make payment?

Jbort1984

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious how long everyone gives a buyer to make payment after giving payment info. I normally give 24 hours but twice now I've been refunded payment because some one else paid before me even though I made payment in 10-12 hours after getting PayPal info.

if we are communicating and settle on a price, I expect payment within the hour unless other arrangements are made.....and in that case, we will talk about when to expect payment....why would you offer to buy something and then not pay right away?

I always figured people dont live on the forums I check mine before work and after so its normally 12-15 hours between if I want something I pm for PayPal info then when I get home I check it and make payment usually quick or within a few hours

Just lead with that when you contact the seller maybe? Seller can then choose to work with that or not.

Generally first come first served means whoever pays first though.

I use the watch and send notifications via email feature when buying and selling so coms are easy to maintain.

I always figured people dont live on the forums I check mine before work and after so its normally 12-15 hours between if I want something I pm for PayPal info then when I get home I check it and make payment usually quick or within a few hours
You can be assured that when an item in FS/T goes up for a great price, it is gone within the hour. There are people definitely living on this forum.

I've bought and had a seller say that I wasn't the first but an earlier contact had not followed up. I think it's generally good to communicate timeframes and expectations. Some sellers seem to only check in once a day.

It's not sold until it's paid so I wouldn't do anything different. I'll give a courtesy half hour or so but if another buyer pays first then it's theirs.

I haven't sold too much yet but I expect payment within 24 hours and will set my listing to "pending" out of courtesy and will not sell to anybody else during that time. I used to allow a bit more but got sick of people suddenly changing to "i need a day or two to think about it" and then the obvious "changed my mind" (or complete silence)... I have a short list of people who have backed out after kept me waiting, they'll be expected to pay right away after deal is settled in PM or forget it moving forward...

I bought a few items but only sold one (it was a WTB from the buyer), but I normally pay within like 10 minutes of getting the PayPal info, of course if it's at night and I'm sleeping maybe like 8 hours, but typically I tell them I will pay as soon as I receive their info or in the AM if it's later in the day.

I typically give 24hrs if there's multiple buyers in line. I've definitely given more time if there isn't though.

Wow. Most of you guys would "annoy" me as a buyer - unless you're responding to PMs withing a few minutes (under 5) or explicitly state you need a response by XX:XX before you move on to the next buyer - I have a job that isn't really conducive to me sitting on the forum all day waiting to hear back from someone. I will check back as soon as I get a chance, BUT (and especially if it's during lunch) it might be 3-6 hours until I'm free again. I've always kind of assumed if we agree on a price and I say "I'll take it, what's your payment info?" It's mine unless you've made it clear there's a time limit or I'm just an asshole about it (1-2 days.) I do my best to check regularly after I've said I'll take it, but life happens, and if I've said I'll take it I mean it - so when I've "sold" something I hold it for at least 24 hours afterwards (assuming I've got multiple offers) and plenty of communication attempts (I'll cut slack if you haven't been able to log in since my initial response) before moving on.

As a buyer who has been on the forums and seen some great deals, I know I'm not the only one who can and will pull the trigger. This isn't ebay where clicking buy is a signed contract to buy. As a seller you can be nice and hold a thing if you want to, but that's not a forum rule. So expecting it, is on you OP.

Paypal has an app you can put on your phone. If you can't take a few minutes to send payment and there are other buyers pending, that just means you really didn't want it bad enough.

I at least try to respond to interested parties telling them that they are number X in line if they want something and when I anticipate moving on to the next person. If I'm actively PMing people about pricing, I check more often than 10-12 hours, honestly. If I miss out on something, there's always next time.

When someone asks for payment info, I expect to get paid within an hour or so unless they said otherwise. Just seems to me if you want the info your ready to pay.
Sucks when someone says they want it, then lag and then you lose a sale to someone else. As others have stated, good communication is always best.

Yep, I expect payment within the half hour really. If we are energetic enough, and going back and forth negotiating. Then we agree on a price, and I send PP info, I would normally expect you to be equally waiting on your side to pay. That's the same with me, when I agree on a price, and I get your info, I pay immediately.

I have had too many times where someone waits to pay, then an hour two hours three hours go by (still getting PM's from others).... Then I reach out tot he buyer and they something along the lines of "Oh, sorry I stuck a deal with someone else" or "Changed mind, sorry". I feel like sometimes even someone may negotiate with you to get a price, only to then use your price with another seller to bargain them down.

Laggers are frustrating, I had a guy yesterday confirm a trade, I set it to pending, two people came by wanting to buy and I turned them away, that night he says "oh my bad something came up".
I know stuff happens but it's annoying. This was at a different site FYI.

I'm really surprised everyone expects such prompt payment. Y'all really expect people to monitor their pms 24\7 and bring their life to a grinding halt the moment you've sent payment info? People do crazy shit like to go work and school that might just be priorities over being on their phone all day.

I wouldn't give it the slightest though until 24 hours goes by. Only exception would be if I saw the person had logged in and thus saw a pm but still didn't pay.

I'm really surprised everyone expects such prompt payment. Y'all really expect people to monitor their pms 24\7 and bring their life to a grinding halt the moment you've sent payment info? People do crazy shit like to go work and school that might just be priorities over being on their phone all day.

I wouldn't give it the slightest though until 24 hours goes by. Only exception would be if I saw the person had logged in and thus saw a pm but still didn't pay.
I think the point is more along the lines that if you are having a conversation, and they say "yes I want it send me the paypal", and you do and then they sit on it for a day.
If they can have the back and forth they can take the 30 seconds to send the payment. All you have to do is say "I can pay this evening after work" and all the hassle is cleared up.

I think the point is more along the lines that if you are having a conversation, and they say "yes I want it send me the paypal", and you do and then they sit on it for a day.
If they can have the back and forth they can take the 30 seconds to send the payment. All you have to do is say "I can pay this evening after work" and all the hassle is cleared up.
If you're actively engaged in a back and forth dialog and they flake as soon as the paypal details come, I could see that being different. Especially if they showed as logged in and active on the forums.

Doesn't sound to me like that's the situation OP found himself in. Sounds more like he agreed to a sale, and paid at the earliest opportunity he had after receiving payment information. If I'm correct, I'm siding with OP. Payment within 12 hours of getting paypal credentials seems more than fair. What really gets me is this... if you (royal you, not specific to any one person) were selling something, agreed on a sale, sent your payment info, etc. and then got a PM 12 hours later that the buyer changed their mind, you'd probably be pissed that the buyer backed out after terms were agreed upon. But in the reverse situation, where the buyer pays 12 hours after terms were agreed upon, only to have his money refunded and told "Sorry, someone else paid first" -- OP is still somehow in the wrong for not paying faster? Why is the buyer the only one expected to make good on their part of the agreement?

Unless it was explicitly agreed upon as part of the sale that payment was expected within a certain time frame, or there is an obvious sign that the seller is dodging payment, sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. If OP is being fully transparent in what lead to his situation, sounds to me like he's well in the right to be upset about the seller refunding him.

As a buyer (most of the time)
- I pay as soon as possible which means once I get the payment info.
- If I'm actively pursuing an item, I make sure to check the forum/notifications regularly for communications. To me this is just a common courtesy I would like people to give me as well.
- If I know I'm not 100% wanting it, I don't even contact the person
- If I don't have the time to deal with communications, I don't even contact the person. I respect others time to not want to leave them hanging
- If I want it but am short on time- Let the person know in your initial coms to them. They will be more likely to work with you knowing this up front. Coming back a day later that "they sold it out from under you"... well, it happens.

As a seller (not as much)
- I would like to have the same respect from the buyer as I posted above.
- As the seller, I would check at minimum, once per day, depending if what I was selling was in demand
- If communications started, I would check several times per day until A. payment is received and B. item is shipped.
- In most cases, I would even follow-up after knowing it was received.

Back