How long to dwnload Hl2 today?

erkan

Gawd
Im on a cable, that can run 400kb/s if its a really good server, how long to download Hl2 Silver through steam? Im debating to get that or the retail( I want to play at midnight ). Thanks dudes.

erkan said:
Im on a cable, that can run 400kb/s if its a really good server, how long to download Hl2 Silver through steam? Im debating to get that or the retail( I want to play at midnight ). Thanks dudes.

You mean 1:00. Arizona is Mountain time right or is it Pacific. If is Pacific then 12:00. As for size HL:2 is like 3.5 gigs. At 400 k/sec that would take you 2.5 hours to download.

you do realize you can download it without buying it right ?

i've had HL2 on my computer since October, heck maybe even before that.

I HIGHLY suggest preloading HL2 ASAP before the servers overload tomorrow

ok, i have a related question for this. Can i buy HL2 via steam then have a friend burn the install files so i don't have to spend a day downloading them? And then use the key i get when i buy the game via steam?

k1pp3r said:
ok, i have a related question for this. Can i buy HL2 via steam then have a friend burn the install files so i don't have to spend a day downloading them? And then use the key i get when i buy the game via steam?

I see no problem in that

[RCKY] Thor said:
Or you can just use the steam backup utility and make your own install disks.

well i will have a friend make the install disk and just purchase a key from steam to unlock it so i don't spend a day of downloading when i won't get home till 8 tonight.

Probably not...usually, the installation keys aren't uniform across the board...or piracy would be uber easy. The install key you purchase likely isn't going to be the same install key that would work with the copy of the game that he downloaded...

superthrawn said:
Probably not...usually, the installation keys aren't uniform across the board...or piracy would be uber easy. The install key you purchase likely isn't going to be the same install key that would work with the copy of the game that he downloaded...

Actually, it isn't going to work like that.

The copy protection is checked vs a steam account.

The key that the retail versions have are then applied vs the steam account of the owner. Everybody that buys half life 2 will have to register a steam account.

In other words, I could download it anywhere, and play it anywhere, but unless someone else knows my steam account and password, they wouldn't be able to play it later. However, if someone else has a steam account that has half life 2 paid for, then they could also play on that computer without having to redownload it.

CatsGoMoo said:
Actually, it isn't going to work like that.

The copy protection is checked vs a steam account.

The key that the retail versions have are then applied vs the steam account of the owner. Everybody that buys half life 2 will have to register a steam account.

In other words, I could download it anywhere, and play it anywhere, but unless someone else knows my steam account and password, they wouldn't be able to play it later. However, if someone else has a steam account that has half life 2 paid for, then they could also play on that computer without having to redownload it.

so can i use someone elses install files with a key that i purchase? From what you are saying the answer would be yes, i think it would be to much of a pain to have unique install and activation keys

k1pp3r said:
so can i use someone elses install files with a key that i purchase? From what you are saying the answer would be yes, i think it would be to much of a pain to have unique install and activation keys

Yes, but you still have to launch the game through steam, I think.

I don't know if that holds true for single player mode. I know you do the first time you play. We'll see how that works out.

There is no installation key. The files required to play Half-Life 2 is available for EVERYONE to download. If someone wants to play HL2, they'll need to buy a key. Keys are binded to the person's steam account, which means they can play anywhere, anytime, provided the computer they're playing on has the HL2 files.

Single and multiplayer modes go through steam.

awsome thanks for the answers,

Things to do

Purchase key through steam,
have friend put install files on DVD,
install,
play at 12:01 after unlock

Back