How long is a 12700k setup good for?

Basically. How long is a 12700k setup good for? I am just wondering if it is worth jusmping to AM5 shortly as there seems to be a lot of hate towards Intel atm specially on crappowerup where every thread just gets crapped in by the AMD owners. Here are my specs-
I7 12700k 12/20 cpu
Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
TEAM GROUP 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3600C16
Asus rog strix GTX1080ti 11gb
Silicon Power 256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Gen3x4
WD SN850 1TB PCIe M.2 NVME Gen4x4
WD SN850 1TB PCIe M.2 NVME Gen4x4
SanDisk 2TB SSD PLUS 2.5"
Corsair RM750x 80% gold
Lian Li o11D XL
EK 360mm PE
EK 360mm XE
Heatkiller IV (CPU)
Byski Full cover (GPU)
Aqua computer ultitube 150 D5 pump/res
EK ZMT Black 16/10
3x Corsair LL120mm PE
3x Lian Li SL120mm XE
1x Noctua 120mm
Ducky One 2 mini 60% keyboard
Razer Viper
dell s2721dgfa 27" nano IPS 2560x1440p 165hz
dell p2219h 22" 1920x1080p 75hz

Any Intel users here that are jumping ship?

Edit i have put it in AMD not Intel section, could it be moved please?

Please don't lets turn this into a A v I crap fest please, just a good discussion on the thread title

thx

I'll be moving to AM5 when it drops, because I want to try it out. I also want to move to DDR5 now that it is available so my 12700k/DDR4 setup will have to go.

The 12700k is going to be fine for quite some time. Like years and years. Will faster CPUs come out in the future? Sure but does it really matter? Only your use case will determine that. You list a 165hz 1440p panel so assuming that’s your main /gaming display your Setup just needs a gpu upgrade whenever you feel like your 1080ti is losing steam. At the very least I’d hold off until the x3D AM5 CPUs come out and also see if there are any teething issues with AMD’s new platform.

-12700k and multiple AM4 systems owner here and I’m excited for AM5 but we haven’t seen any of it in practice yet.

Last edited:
Seem to be missing a word, good for what ?

For gaming with a 1080Ti, it will be good forever
This! Good for what?

Some old computer parts I had, an i5-3570K, 16gb ddr3 memory and a GTX 1660 Super is chugging along in a giveaway PC. She has it hooked up to tv and plays with a controller at the moment, but have also played with mouse and keyboard before that. I know shes played all of the new Tomb raider series, Horizon - Zero Dawn, Borderlands 3 and more very playable on that computer. Of course not on Ultra, but tuned to be very playable without being potato graphics.

That CPU was launched in 2012, so 10 years ago. But, its good enough for her even today. I have also enjoyed playing games with her on that PC, but it would not have been good enough for me in my personal rigs (obviously, since I upgraded many times since then).

OP really needs to specify what issues he has today with I7-12700K that makes him want to upgrade to an AM5 platform. New and shiny is of course a valid [H]ard argument, but if its about "good for ... how long", use case and preferences should be included. :)

Basically. How long is a 12700k setup good for? I am just wondering if it is worth jusmping to AM5 shortly as there seems to be a lot of hate towards Intel atm specially on crappowerup where every thread just gets crapped in by the AMD owners. Here are my specs-
That set up will last you a long time. Unfortunately the PC enthusiast world we are in now is filled with people that over do the Intel vs AMD debate. If the PC does what you want it to do then just keep it as is and enjoy.

Hell, I'm still using this below after 14 years...right now...but that changes next week.

x3380 @3.16 GHz
GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1)
GeForce GTX-295
8GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-800 (4x2)
WD1002FBSY
1000W PC
Antec P182 case

Hell, I'm still using this below after 14 years...right now...but that changes next week.

x3380 @3.16 GHz
GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1)
GeForce GTX-295
8GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-800 (4x2)
WD1002FBSY
1000W PC
Antec P182 case
Wao! Your GTX 295 lasted that long? Those things ran hot so really surprised it was active all these years and has not given up the ghost. :)

i really dont understand people buying the absolute newest CPUs that don't actually make any difference for what the user needs it to do.

GPUs, okay. CPUs every single new release? Really?

edit: also who gives a flying f what other nerds on some internet forum think?
I went through that phase when I was much younger; especially around the time Crysis hit, but now I recognize that approach was to put it lightly..... "financially retarded". As an older gamer I recognize that the whole thing is a scam designed to separate me from my hard earned cash. If it doesn't impact my gaming experience to the 10th power then I don't need it! :)

A 12700k is still a near top dawg CPU today. Zero reason to think getting the upcoming AMD Zen 4 will provide any real world noticable difference.

12700k will be awesome for 5+ years.

Save that upgrade money and get the RTX-4000 or AMD 7000 Series video card, which actually prove money well spent on an upgrade.

Last edited:
Until it no longer does what you need it to do effectively.....
There is no set answer. Look how long people ran Xeon X5600 series CPU's for and a bunch still do...

Just so you know guys. The 12700k and the asus Rog Strix z690-A gaming Wi-Fi D4 board where gifts from a friend, so cost me nothing. got them 30/11/2021

Yeah....ok. :) Just admit you are a noob and like all noobs with too much money and not enough common sense you want to upgrade for no apparent reason other than to flex on the internet. Trust me we were all there once! :)

My wife was using until today a i7-4770K from 2014~ it was really fine for her needs except the computer had developed stability issues (which amusingly now think was a power supply problem.) The old 4770K could still get by pretty well for most tasks...

I just bought (well 2~mos ago) i7-12700K / Z690 Aorus Elite AX (DDR5) / 32GB DDR5 5600 / and a RTX3070 (I've had this a bit longer).... I expect this computer will do me for the next few years at which point it will go to my wife ..who now has my Ryzen 5 3600 after I upgraded her rig today. I think if I didn't get restless I could probably rock this i7-12700K for 5yrs~ without too much difficulty..

but yeah, the only way i would even begin to think about upgrading that CPU/platform would be if you were gonna be doing a ton of software-based video encoding or other such work that utilizes as many cores as you can throw at it, AND you can sell off what you have first for enough to help pay for at least half of it to offset the ridiculous motherboard prices that the Zen4 platform is asking right now. Even then, I would still wait until the platform has been out a little while and stuff becomes a bit less expensive, and the platform matures some & a lot of the inevitable initial issues have been found & bugs have been worked out.

if your main concern is gaming performance, the GPU upgrade will make a FAR bigger improvement

for about 35, 45 minutes.
LOL, don't nobody go into the bathroom... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It will last as long as it satisfies your use case. If it doesn’t feel slow, keep the cash. Go travel or something.

Yeah....ok. :) Just admit you are a noob and like all noobs with too much money and not enough common sense you want to upgrade for no apparent reason other than to flex on the internet. Trust me we were all there once! :)

I think that is a bit harsh. I constantly see people spending tons of money on things that they never use. People buy an expensive boat and then never actually take it into the water. People setup an expensive home theater and then never actually watch movies. People buy an expensive car just to drive it to the grocery store once per week. I have no idea what the OP's computer usage patterns are (or if OP is even still following this thread) but if it's anything like mine, my computer is something that I use for 8+ hours every single day. It's the first thing I use when I wake up in the morning and the last thing I use before I go to sleep at night. I find it very easy to justify spending money on something that I use so much. Also, with a bit of initiative, it's possible to sell your old components and make a lot of your money back. For example, I didn't really need to upgrade from a Ryzen 3900X to a 5900X, but I sold my 3900X for almost $400 afterward, bringing the total cost of the upgrade down to ~$150. Absolutely worth it IMO.

I mean im still on a 4790K and 1080Ti with 16 gigs of ram. Coming up on 9 years for the cpu, and its only maybe the last 6 months where I've finally been really feeling like I need a new cpu.

Back