How long have you used your power supply?

I recently realized I've had my ANTEC NeoPower HE650 for quite a long time. Found the order receipt in my email from ZipZoomFly (remember them?!).

Nov 8, 2007

before that, I was using a no name power supply which came with a case.

The NeoPower is currently powering an overclocked 7600k in an Raijintek Metis ITX case. Its whisper quiet.

It was first used to power an Athlon 64 X-2. Then a core 2 quad Q9300. Then an Phenom II X6 1055T.

Here's a Newegg page with specs and pictures
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817371011

Its only ever been out of service for a few months, during a time at which I thought some issues were power supply related (they weren't). I bought an Antec Earthwatts EA650 from Amazon, to fill in, on Nov 15, 2010

https://www.newegg.com/antec-earthwatts-ea650-650w/p/N82E16817371015

I haven't used that in a long time. But I still have it. Its nearly as good. Just not modular and plain gray.
This thing has also been powering an HD7870 for the past 7 years.

I just strapped an RTX 2060 to it. No problem!

Main rig has a Corsair HX850 that's about eight years old - it replaced a Cooler Master 700W after it let the magic smoke out. Before that I was using a custom PC Power & Cooling 510W from 2002 that was one of two running in parallel in a phase change system.

I still have it, actually. Works fine but was built with lots of custom connectors that clutter things up (eg, two 6xFour pin Molex connectors for the SCSI RAID set, custom pump connector, two floppy power connectors for front panel displays, etc) and is a bit on the thin side for overall capacity. It's my backup and is what I used while I was waiting for the HX850 to arrive.
It'll probably outlive me.

I've had a Corsair HX850 running for almost 8 years as well. It has an 8 year warranty. I'm about to put together a Ryzen 3900X system, so it will get a new power supply. Something else to research... I probably don't need another 850, I'm thinking maybe a 750 for the 3900x and 1080Ti that will give me a little room to grow.

I have an Antec BP550 that I purchased in Feb of 2013 so over 6 years now. It's in my Plex server living a laid back life powering a low power i3 4130t and 6 hard drives and an SSD. System power usage usually sits at or around 100 watts as reported by my UPS so it's not a very stressed piece of hardware. My main PC has a Corsair RM850X (overkill but that's half the fun) that's maybe a year old or so, I can't imagine it being much older than that.

I do have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470? (don't remember the wattage off the top of my head) that I've had for what feels like forever! It still works, too; just don't have a use for it :( I remember being so proud to have that PSU back in the day, I miss PC Power & Cooling.

Edit: If we're talking a bit older, I've got Power Supplies in PC's/Mac's that are well over 20 years old. I've got some old AT PSU's at my folks place in storage. But then again, none of those are in regular usage so...yeah.

Last edited:
I've had a Corsair TX 750 since late 2008 that's still in a system that until a week ago was my primary machine. Exact purchase date is 11/16/2008 probably got put to use less than a week after that.

i7 3770k @.4.4
1080Ti (transferred to new system, Vega56 in it's place)
4x8GB memory
2x SSD
1x HDD
2X Optical

I have a 400W Enermax from 2003/4 still running, in a box with one of those dual core Pentiums from a few years back(2014/5?). Original CPU was I belive one of those AMD Barton's 2500+. Still chugging along, had to change the fan a few years back, fine otherwise.

I have a 400W Enermax from 2003/4 still running, in a box with one of those dual core Pentiums from a few years back(2014/5?). Original CPU was I belive one of those AMD Barton's 2500+. Still chugging along, had to change the fan a few years back, fine otherwise.
Wow you got lucky.
I had a 350W and 420W Enermax, both had counterfeit capacitors.
Neither lasted 2 years before voltage dropped heavily under load. I think I saw -1.3V on 12V with the 420W.
There were a lot of fake caps that got past a number of companies QA depts at that time.

Similarly I had a Barton 2500+ and replaced it with a 2500+ mobile which clocked higher than the 3200+.
Good days :)

I have had a Silverstone Zeus 850w in my main rig since 2006.
I have had a Corsair TX750 In my server since 2011.
My daughter is running a Enermax Whisper 300w that is from 2002-2003
My HTPC has an Antec True Power 430 from 2003.

Yeah I use em' till they shit the bed.

Man I always wanted a Barton core!

I have a Corsair TX750 that I used for 10+ years. It still works fine but I replaced it with a TX850M as a precaution. My work sent me overseas on a long term assignment and the TX750 was used in my old computer, now my server back home. I wouldn't have easy physical access to that computer so I wanted to be safe.

Now that I think about it I should take the TX750 with me and use it in a build where I am now.

I recently retired a Corsair TX 750 after 10 years that came with a 5 year warranty. Still ran fine just made me queasy thinking about all the magic smoke coming out sooner than later so I succumbed to my fears.

Magic smoke usually starts with dead caps causing excessive current draw and things start blowing up.

I repair 5, 10, 15+ year old power supplies all the time because it costs a couple of dollars at most in parts and a bit of time soldering. Old power supplies have value to me because I have a lot of early Pentium 4, Athlon and older gear where they drew most of their current from the 5v rail and a modern PSU can't cope with the current demand. Some of my really old gear also requires a -5v rail, which was removed from the ATX spec sometime in 2003-2004. Modern PSUs have almost all of their capacity on the 12v rail so when you put a heavy 5v load on them, they start acting weird or shut off.

Most of the time it's just defective or worn out caps, but sometimes other things are wrong that require more extensive diagnosis. I'll throw in the towel at this point unless it's a proprietary, unobtanium or absurdly expensive replacement unit because older computer PSUs are still somewhat easy to get.

I'm still going strong on an Antec Truepower Trio 650 watt power supply that's about 10 or 11 years old now. It powered a Phenom II X3 720, which was upgraded to a FX-4100 (and it's now my main work PC). It hasn't had any issues with power-hungry video cards, either, even the starving 8800 GTX.

I currently have an XFX Black Edition 850w that I bought in February of 2011 to replace my BFG PSU that died just a few months after the company went under. Which meant they couldn't honor their lifetime warranty

Anyhow, still using it 8.5yrs later. It originally powered a Q6600 OC'd to 3.5ghz w/ 2xRadeon 6950s, then a 4770k + GTX 970, and is now providing juice for my fresh Ryzen 3900x build with a GTX 1070.

I think sometime around Black Friday I'll see if I can get a good deal on a new PSU, and then this one can live on in my guest room gamer PC

Magic smoke usually starts with dead caps causing excessive current draw and things start blowing up.

I repair 5, 10, 15+ year old power supplies all the time because it costs a couple of dollars at most in parts and a bit of time soldering. Old power supplies have value to me because I have a lot of early Pentium 4, Athlon and older gear where they drew most of their current from the 5v rail and a modern PSU can't cope with the current demand. Some of my really old gear also requires a -5v rail, which was removed from the ATX spec sometime in 2003-2004. Modern PSUs have almost all of their capacity on the 12v rail so when you put a heavy 5v load on them, they start acting weird or shut off.

Most of the time it's just defective or worn out caps, but sometimes other things are wrong that require more extensive diagnosis. I'll throw in the towel at this point unless it's a proprietary, unobtanium or absurdly expensive replacement unit because older computer PSUs are still somewhat easy to get.

This right here.

Except for the fact that you can get adapters to add the -5v needed.

You can also get ATX to AT adapters that also add the -5v.

So I pretty much only use newer ATX power supplies because the power regulation is magnitudes better than it was back then.

I just retired a PCP&C 950W PSU. I forgot to add that I used it from 2008 until last month.

Last edited:
I'm still using a Seasonic-built Corsair HX850W (CMPSU-850HX) that was purchased in Summer 2010. I originally grabbed it for an X58 build, and now it is powering my X99 system. This will probably be the last system I use it in though.

antec high current lasted about 7 years.
corsair going about 5 years no problems using in new build

HX750, soon 11 years.
24/7, not a day without it powered on.
Used hard for 10 years until I replaced it last year and gave my server it.

My XFX 750W gold had been in service since 2012, still going strong and no plan to swap it for a new unit, at least not until a cpu/mobo swap.

5 year old Seasonic-based Coolermaster V1000 and 10 year old Seasonic M12D 750 watt still going strong.

Had like many of you quite a lot of PSU's. Currently on a EVGA 1300w gold, since 2014 that has been rock solid.

Unreal... Solid like a rock

Do they still make PSUs? Maybe they went out of business since they were so good
Hahaha Enermax still makes one of the best psu's out there. Lately since one rail became the best option, they have been not so popular because they kept making mostly multi rail psu's but they are really good.

My fiance is using the same Antec 650watt that I've had since I built my Phenom II in an Antec 900. (Her current CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600)

I think my current system is using an EVGA GQ 750W 80+ Gold that's approaching 5 years old now?

Hahaha Enermax still makes one of the best psu's out there. Lately since one rail became the best option, they have been not so popular because they kept making mostly multi rail psu's but they are really good.

I'm pretty sure it's more because they don't engage the enthusiast community as much as Corsair and Seasonic does. There are no downsides and only upsides to properly built multirail PSUs, assuming everything else is equal.

I'm still running an Antec NeoHE 650 which is 11 or 12 years old. Haven't had a single problem with it although when I finally get around to upgrading my video card I'll have to save up a bit extra and get a new power supply at the same time. Even with the degradation you get with a PSU this old I'm still nowhere near the limit of the PSU but due to that same degradation I have no intention of pushing it any harder than it already is.

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80 + Gold. Used it for two years. Fan rarely (if ever) runs using the ECO mode switch.

I'm just now pulling an at least 10yr old PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470 (I believe) off the shelf to put into temporary daily service powering a low power pfsense build until I can find a better case/PSU solution. Since the board I'm using doesn't require an 8 pin CPU EPS power plug, this will be perfect for now.

Back