How long have you spent setting up Skyrim with mods?

song414

Limp Gawd
I was curious how long people spent getting their Skyrim game with all the mods and testing to ensure it is working properly? I believe I have spent ~20 hrs or so and still have not finished. I have about 100 or so mods.

I spent 0 hours, I just loaded it up and played it. The game is plenty good by itself without being modded. Once I finish all the DLC content then I might play around with some mods.

I spent 0 hours, I just loaded it up and played it. The game is plenty good by itself without being modded. Once I finish all the DLC content then I might play around with some mods.

+1

I modded my game once with the HD2K resolutions, but had to uninstall the game due to wanting to catch back up with my other back catalog. Anyways - I reinstalled and started playing, but haven't taken the time to mod it. I'll likely mod it hardcore once I finish the main storyline.

i modded the shit out of mine also the game got boring to me when i got so strong i could take out a dragon with 3 arrows... most anything for me is 1 hit kill but then again im a sneaky mofo both assassin and thieves guilds are led by me dark brotherhood is again to be feared and thieves rule all... No pocket is safe. Giants are dead before they reach me...Also are extinct...Also have this sweet vampire thing going on where i have this hot noble vamp as my wife with all the cribs pimped and money is no object to me... essentially im conan at the end sitting on his throne with only dragonborn dlc left to do...

Last edited:
i modded the shit out of mine also the game got boring to me when i got so strong i could take out a dragon with 3 arrows... most anything for me is 1 hit kill but then again im a sneaky mofo both assassin and thieves guilds are led by me dark brotherhood is again to be feared and thieves rule all... No pocket is safe. Giants are dead before they reach me...Also are extinct...

You install any combat mods or skill mods? SPERG + Dual combat realism hardcore + Legendary difficulty is tough.

I do admit it does get boring without mods later as u become super powerful.

i modded the shit out of mine also the game got boring to me when i got so strong i could take out a dragon with 3 arrows... most anything for me is 1 hit kill but then again im a sneaky mofo both assassin and thieves guilds are led by me dark brotherhood is again to be feared and thieves rule all... No pocket is safe. Giants are dead before they reach me...Also are extinct...

You install any combat mods or skill mods? SPERG + Dual combat realism hardcore + Legendary difficulty is tough.

I do admit it does get boring without mods later as u become super powerful.

First, I put about 100 hours into the game in vanilla, when it came out.

Recently, I built a new system, so I decided to revisit it heavily modded. This is actually the pattern I have used for TES 3-5 and both modern Fallouts, best to give the community time to produce great stuff.

Anyways, I spent about 10-15 hours sorting through mods on the Nexus to create the build that I wanted to play, and then again about 10 more installing them. Compared to Oblivion, modding Skyrim is super easy, thanks largely to advancements in tools like BOSS and Wyre Bash.

Also, I cannot recommend Mod Organizer enough: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1334//?

Huge time saver and headache reducer, plus allows multiple mod builds to be saved and played at any time.

I spent tons of hours playing and adding mods along the way. GUI mods, equipment mods, difficulty mods..I usually kept my mods under 60-70 activated for stability. That said, eventually I learned where all the content is, and between that and the game just crashing every hour it quit being fun.

Beautiful game world for eyefinity.

finishid it without mods when it was released. added these mods then played it for 10 minutes and didnt touch it again.

Hours upon hours upon hours.

It compliments the 500+ hours I have played the game so far... and haven't started any Dragonborn quests yet.

The game is good without mods, but the best with them.

I highly recommend SkyRe and Alternate Start: Live Another Life as a good base for a modded playthrough.

Not long, Using nexus mod manager and skyui, a couple simple graphics mods.
Not playing much of anything lately but I can see why someone can obsess over the modding options, good grief there are a boat load!

I only have about 15 mods installed but it took no time at all using the steam workshop. Find the mod you want, subscribe, and it installs it for you. I haven't run into any problems yet but I'm not very modded compared to some.

Hours upon hours upon hours.

It compliments the 500+ hours I have played the game so far... and haven't started any Dragonborn quests yet.

The game is good without mods, but the best with them.

I highly recommend SkyRe and Alternate Start: Live Another Life as a good base for a modded playthrough.

TBH, the most fun/immersion I had with Skyrim came from completely turning off the MQ via "Live Another Life".

I only have about 15 mods installed but it took no time at all using the steam workshop. Find the mod you want, subscribe, and it installs it for you. I haven't run into any problems yet but I'm not very modded compared to some.

ALL best mods are NOT on Steam Workshop. They ONLY allow mods up to 100MB-which is nothing if you want decent textures.

I just downloaded Nexus Mod Manager then installed any mods that looked good. I didn't have to configure anything special or test after each one was installed. I check Nexus every week or so and look at the top lists to see if there are any good new mods.

It took about 10 minutes to initially setup Nexus mod manager. After that installing mods is usually a click on the website to download, then another click in the manager to install.
When you download them off of nexus just look if there are any known compatibilities.

For 99% of mods you don't have to do anything special. You just install and play.
If you don't like a mod and want to uninstall it it is just one click.

I enjoy tweaking the game. Of course, I am unemployed atm and have the time to do so.

I think a bit of tweaking is good to get the game looking and playing great. Nothing crazy. It would take 30-45 minutes to get the basic upgrades done. Plus, big ole titties are a MUST for any game that you can get them to work imo.

I've only been screwing around with Skyrim mods about a week, I gotta say they've made a HUGE difference. I've also been impressed that I've not had a single crash in the game because of them. It was remarkably easy to figure out how to install them. It all started with installing SKSE to get SkyUI, and thought I'd leave it at that. Then I wanted followers to work better so I found Nexus Mod Manager and it became a runaway train of installing mods but they DO improve the experience. And ofcourse the BOSS program to optimize load order. I really resisted mods at first because I did not want to fall down a rabbit hole of pulling my hair out editing ini files and tweaking registry settings and manually replacing game files and dll's. Daunting also was the sheer number of mods available, didn't know where to start. Fortunately I found the TopFiles on NexusMods a good starting point.

Before finding NMM however I subscribed to a few Steam Workshop mods before knowing all the real action was at NexusMods. In cases where the same author posted to both NexusMods and Steam Workshop, it seems like they focus on NMM and update there more often -- I found the same plugin at Steam Workshop often wouldn't be updated as frequently. So I unsubscribed the handful of Steam Workshop mods I had and re-installed them via NMM.

FWIW, I can't say same for my continuing interest in the game in general - its waning. I'm getting increasingly impatient with the long dialog of NPC's that don't get to the point, the bad voice acting is getting to be eye rolling the more I explore and find the same voice on like 10 NPC's in a row (did they only use like 3 to 4 voice actors total?). Also, all the great texture replacements and visual mods can't paper over the cracks that is the clunky and dated engine with its awkward and stiff movement, jumping, combat mechanics. The NPC's are automatons, the environments are nondestructive, the screenshots look great but leaves me feeling I'm in a flat, dull world fighting cardboard cutouts. Maybe I just need a break from the game, but at this point I'm not sure how many more "find this item in this cave and bring it back to me" quests I have left in me.

Last edited:
Ive once spent 5 days modding Oblivion only to get burned out at the end and not wanting to play afterwards....

Do we count the many hours spent researching? If so, then probably ~20 hours. Like many others, I experienced mod creep...first it was just a mod to turn leveling off and Apocalypse to make magic interesting, then mighty dragons, mighty magicka, and hey, cloaks are fun, ...

I've only been screwing around with Skyrim mods about a week, I gotta say they've made a HUGE difference. I've also been impressed that I've not had a single crash in the game because of them. It was remarkably easy to figure out how to install them. It all started with installing SKSE to get SkyUI, and thought I'd leave it at that. Then I wanted followers to work better so I found Nexus Mod Manager and it became a runaway train of installing mods but they DO improve the experience. And ofcourse the BOSS program to optimize load order. I really resisted mods at first because I did not want to fall down a rabbit hole of pulling my hair out editing ini files and tweaking registry settings and manually replacing game files and dll's. Daunting also was the sheer number of mods available, didn't know where to start. Fortunately I found the TopFiles on NexusMods a good starting point.

Before finding NMM however I subscribed to a few Steam Workshop mods before knowing all the real action was at NexusMods. In cases where the same author posted to both NexusMods and Steam Workshop, it seems like they focus on NMM and update there more often -- I found the same plugin at Steam Workshop often wouldn't be updated as frequently. So I unsubscribed the handful of Steam Workshop mods I had and re-installed them via NMM.

FWIW, I can't say same for my continuing interest in the game in general - its waning. I'm getting increasingly impatient with the long dialog of NPC's that don't get to the point, the bad voice acting is getting to be eye rolling the more I explore and find the same voice on like 10 NPC's in a row (did they only use like 3 to 4 voice actors total?). Also, all the great texture replacements and visual mods can't paper over the cracks that is the clunky and dated engine with its awkward and stiff movement, jumping, combat mechanics. The NPC's are automatons, the environments are nondestructive, the screenshots look great but leaves me feeling I'm in a flat, dull world fighting cardboard cutouts. Maybe I just need a break from the game, but at this point I'm not sure how many more "find this item in this cave and bring it back to me" quests I have left in me.

Pretty much my experience with the game. Bethesda is pretty bad at making compelling rpgs. The quests, dialogue, and lore are the weakest they've ever made this time around imo. Nothing really pulls you into the skyrim universe like Morrowind did. The mod Interesting NPCs was a step in the right direction--but its still not enough.

I can't wait until SureAI puts out their sequel to Nehrim. Now THAT is how to make an RPG!

Ive once spent 5 days modding Oblivion only to get burned out at the end and not wanting to play afterwards....
Yep. At some point you come to the realization that the game you want to play is not the game that you're working on trying to make better. The modding becomes the game.

I'm kind of a "definitive vision" guy these days, so I generally just want to play the game the developer wanted me to play. I've added a few mods to Skyrim here and there, but nothing that's really fundamentally changing anything.

Pretty much my experience with the game. Bethesda is pretty bad at making compelling rpgs. The quests, dialogue, and lore are the weakest they've ever made this time around imo. Nothing really pulls you into the skyrim universe like Morrowind did. The mod Interesting NPCs was a step in the right direction--but its still not enough.

I can't wait until SureAI puts out their sequel to Nehrim. Now THAT is how to make an RPG!

I missed Morrowind, my first Elder Scrolls experience was Oblivion and I was throughly hooked, played it many times.
But I cant gel with Morrowind, I've tried it a number of times and put in about 100hrs last time (with the latest gfx mods too) and it ultimately got very samey and boring.
I then tried Oblivion again and that had now lost its sparkle too, it felt very old.
I really like Skyrim, its a bit samey, but its a computer game so its to be expected for something this massive. Perhaps it could be a bit better, but hey, I didnt provide the budget.

I dont think that either Oblivion or Morrowind are better than Skyrim, just that they were very good in their day when you had little else of that scale.
Skyrim now competes with a lot more games and we have become a bit spoiled/jaded imo.

If you compare the writing, quests, and lore morrowind wins hand-down. Skyrim at least saw a couple good steps forward with regards to combat (especially when modded).

One of the mods i installed for Skyrim was to remove the compass and all its markers. Not seeing the red dots made battle more intense, but the main reason i did it was so that i could actually try to quest instead of just following a marker to the next checkpoint. However, i quickly found out that the dialogue and writing is so bad that most of the time they don't give you any information to go on. You have no idea how or where to go to complete the quest because they expect you to just follow the marker.

Add to that the default map in Skyrim has absolutely no labels. A questgiver should give you hints at locations or, "some place near the rhine river" etc. So you can look shit up, use your brain a little bit, and solve the quest.

This latest de-evolution of bethesdas really drove home how dumb they expected the average player to be:(

I didn't spend quite that long, but I spent a ridiculously long time; only to have the game crash every time, shortly after you escape and you're running down the path to the first town. So little time to game anymore, I just couldn't bring myself to troubleshoot it. Eventually I will.

If you compare the writing, quests, and lore morrowind wins hand-down. Skyrim at least saw a couple good steps forward with regards to combat (especially when modded).

One of the mods i installed for Skyrim was to remove the compass and all its markers. Not seeing the red dots made battle more intense, but the main reason i did it was so that i could actually try to quest instead of just following a marker to the next checkpoint. However, i quickly found out that the dialogue and writing is so bad that most of the time they don't give you any information to go on. You have no idea how or where to go to complete the quest because they expect you to just follow the marker.

Add to that the default map in Skyrim has absolutely no labels. A questgiver should give you hints at locations or, "some place near the rhine river" etc. So you can look shit up, use your brain a little bit, and solve the quest.

This latest de-evolution of bethesdas really drove home how dumb they expected the average player to be:(

Agreed, I used the completely blank UI, except it was smart enough to pop up certain indicators when you needed them. I love the "clean" look with nothing on the screen when you're running around. Part of the reason I like hardcore BF3 as well, a cluttered HUD removes me from the immersion. I also installed multiple map upgrade mods that made a difference.

I also installed multiple map upgrade mods that made a difference.

Yea i used one which added lots of labels and looked more like a real map.

The 'eagle's eye' view they put in skyrim had 'cool factor' i guess, but is totally immersion killing. You pull out a map and it should look like a map!

But yea--Bethesda just isn't trying to make an immersive RPG anymore... they're trying, and succeeded (especially with the vanilla difficulty), in making this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEuoEJkODE

my first play through I did it with no mods spend about 50 hours like that. after that I have spent days on moding it lol each time i do a new char i just redo all of the mods have about 200 hours into Skyrim atm

i quickly found out that the dialogue and writing is so bad that most of the time they don't give you any information to go on. You have no idea how or where to go to complete the quest because they expect you to just follow the marker.

Which is why this mod is an absolute must. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11135/?

It adds more descriptive info to the vanilla quests. Especially useful for anyone not 16 anymore that doesnt have all day to scour half the map for a dinky cave. Sure its fun at first but the novelty wears off quickly and with thousands upon thousands of quests in the game, well..

Back