how long has your monitor lasted you?

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
more an idle curiosity. i got thinking just now that i've had my old 24" monitor for 8 or 9 years and its still going strong. kind of curious how common that is.

old samsung 245BW i bought open box at future shop when they were still around. $450 CAN was a great deal at the time! sure there's better out there, but i have no reason to replace it. i really don't care about 4k right now and every video card still has DVI ports :p

only glitch it gets is sometimes when it turn it on the image comes on and immediately goes black. i turn it off and back on again and all is good once more. only ever does it once and rarely.

have to say that if this thing died tomorrow, i wouldn't care. it owes me nothing at this point.

Ive had my dell 30 inch 3007WFP-HC since 2008 and its still going strong. Looking to upgrade but dont know if I want 4k or a ultra wide. I hate how small the ultra wides are tho.

Bought two Yamakasi Catleaps from a forum member a bit over a year ago that lasted three months for one and six months for the other. :(

My main work monitor (PRO-series 22" CRT) is vintage - 2002!

SInce I acquired it in 2007-2008, it's been working at least 40 hours a week with me.

I have a Dell 2005FPW going on 11 years as a second display in portrait mode. Good stuff! It does seem to be coming close to an end though, I will keep using it until it no longer displays an image.

Your thread made me curious, so I went looking for the original invoice from when I purchased my monitor. Turns out my Dell 3008WFP has been serving me well for 7 years now. I used a Dell 2405FPW before that for about 5 years - the backlight or mainboard died around year 4, but I was able to buy the part for $25 and fix it. My dad still uses the 2405FPW in his office, so that sucker's going on 11 years now.

I had a CRT for like 11 years until the colors faded and I couldn't play games on it because of the VGA connection a Dell P991
I had my current non gaming ASUS 21.5 monitor since 2011 but I bought a backup if it ever goes bad.

My main work monitor (PRO-series 22" CRT) is vintage - 2002!

SInce I acquired it in 2007-2008, it's been working at least 40 hours a week with me.

I'm sure my 21" CRT back in the day is still working somewhere. Had it for 10 years and got rid of it when I moved. Took up too much real estate on the desk. That thing never failed me. I cannot remember if I donated it or sold it. That was reliable. I've only had 1 monitor go out on me and it was an HP 23" or 25" LCD. Every input except the VGA stopped accepting input.

As for what I have now, there is a Samsung 21" LCD still utilized by my son that is about 7 years old. Have another HP 23" here that seems to be okay after 4 years. My new ASUS 27" is only about 6 months old but going strong.

I'm still using my end of 2007 24" Belinea at work after newer stuff replaced it in home.

Ive had my first Dell 3007wfp-hc in 2010, so six years. The only other piece of computer harsware that I've had longer is my 5870 still rocking in my wife's rig... well maybe my dingy purple mouse pad, but that's stretching it. I want to upgrade to 4k, but funds aren't there yet.

NEC 20WMGX2 is rocking from 2005, My Viewsonic VP171 is still kicking and that monitor I think I bought in 2002 (granted...I don't use it, like, at all...)

I still have a Samsung 940BW connected to a Belkin 8 port KVM. Still works great! I bought it in 2003.

I have had my 27" Samsung 275t since 2008, so that's over 8 years.

I had a BenQ 19" monitor that lasted just under 5 years before the back light failed.

My main display is a BenQ E2400HD I bought in 2008. I'm planning on replacing it with something else in the next month or so but I haven't decided what. This LCD has really been wonderful over the years and still works fine but I think I'm going to try and get something with g-sync. The only older display I have that still gets occasional use is a Sony G500 CRT. That thing is a beast and just keeps on going. It's about 16 years old now.

I have an old benq t201wa 20" TN vga (60 hz but goes up to 75 at lower resolutions). Before that I've had other TN and one crt. I've tried other monitors to replace the benq but they weren't good enough or died after a few months of use.

I want to buy a new one but I'm undecided between G-Sync and FreeSync.

Monitors tend to last quite awhile unless affected by outside factors. My 24's are from 2010 & 2011 (one still in use, the other just replaced by a 27" and put into the closet as a spare), the 22" used on my media server is from 2009. And my mom has my other 22" which is from 2008.

I have an old benq t201wa 20" TN vga (60 hz but goes up to 75 at lower resolutions). Before that I've had other TN and one crt. I've tried other monitors to replace the benq but they weren't good enough or died after a few months of use.

I want to buy a new one but I'm undecided between G-Sync and FreeSync.

Not much of a decision to make as you choose based on your video card. Unless you also can't decide on a chipset.

I bought one of the dell 34" ultrawides december before last when people figured out how to get a killer deal on it. IMO you should not ever skimp on a monitor. it is what will last the longest and what your eyes will be looking at for that period of time. So spend the $cash$

My old 20wgx2 from 2006 is still going. Gave it to my parents for their desktop pc though.

I've been chasing resolutions too long. I kept buying cheap monitors.

2006 - Purchased Samsung 940B (19+, 1280x1024, TN), which at the time was a big screen.

2008 - Upgraded to a Samsung T220 (22", 1680x1050, TN), my first wide screen.

2012 - Upgraded to a Samsung S27B550 (27", 1920x1080, TN), wanted somethinn larger with a more modern resolution, but couldn't afford the 1440p models and the Korean thing started right after I made this purchase.

Late 2015/Early 2016 - Went through dozens of monitors until I realized that upgrading cheap panels was pointless. Had I bought a 1600p Dell IPS in 2006/2007, I'd still be using it today. So, I got the LG 27UD68 (27", 4k, IPS). I'll keep this until it dies. I've never cared about high refresh rates, always targeting 60fps locked. I now have nothing to chase.

Last edited:
Not much of a decision to make as you choose based on your video card. Unless you also can't decide on a chipset.

when i'll step to 4k i'll have to upgrade the gpu too, i'm not in a rush because i'm good with this setup but 4k would be amazing.

when i'll step to 4k i'll have to upgrade the gpu too, i'm not in a rush because i'm good with this setup but 4k would be amazing.

Here's the thing. There's nothing forcing you to run your games at 4k resolution on a 4k monitor. Now, yes, there are scaling issues when you run at non-native resolution. This is easily noticeable running 1024x768 on a 1280x10240 monitor, 720p on a 1080p, or even 1080p on a 1440p. But it's not very noticeable running 1080p or 1440p on a 4k (in gaming, desktop use is obvious).

Depending on the game I run at 1080p, 1440p, or 4k. I use a GTX 1060.

I've always bought Dell or LG monitors, and I've never had one fail. I've always upgraded just for higher resolutions or new features. So my monitors last until some new tech becomes interesting enough to justify the cost in my head.

I have a viewsonic VP2030b that just caffed it last week or it'd be that, but the 3007WFP-HC's the viewsonic left behind have been working fine since 2007.

old samsung 245BW i bought open box at future shop when they were still around. $450 CAN was a great deal at the time! sure there's better out there, but i have no reason to replace it. i really don't care about 4k right now and every video card still has DVI ports :p

Also keep in mind that 1920x1200 @60hz doesn't require dual-link DVI. DVI (single-link) and HDMI use the exact same basic signaling. At that resolution and refresh rate the two are fully interchangeable with nothing but a <$5 passive interface adapter. You can even get cheap cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. HDMI isn't going away any time in the next 10+ years so you are good to go.

I had a Samsung 245BW also. Very nice monitor for the time, and since it is 1920x1200 instead of 1080P, you have the option to play games at 1600x1200 with black bars on the sides. That made it a great transition monitor at a time when many games didn't even have proper widescreen support yet. I gave the monitor to my mother after I upgraded, but unfortunately it finally gave up the ghost just a few weeks ago. Looks like the backlight died.

My current monitor is a Samsung S27A950D. It's a 27" 120hz 1080P LED monitor from ~2011 or so. I really love it because not only does it do 120hz but it has an actual strobing LED backlight. The resolution only being 1080P doesn't really bother me. I'm trying to hold out until 27"+ 4K monitors at 120hz+ become more common and cheaper.

My Dell 2405 is in its 11th year of service (2005 purchase). Probably the best purchase I made in all my years of building.
I was supposed to be replacing it with a 2715H, so I could start transitioning to monitors with DP connections, but alas Dell outlet failed me haha.

My Catleap is in its 4th year of service (2012 purchase) and 120Hz is buttery smooth.
But eventually I am probably shifting to a curved G/F sync capable monitor - if I upgrade at all.
Until single GPU performance really picks up, I don't think I'm going above the 1440P resolution though.
Probably a couple more years out, once the Titan XP becomes a mainstream-level performance haha.

I've had my current Dell since 2010. I upgraded to a 1080p IPS panel then after years of TN. I'm ready for an upgrade, but I'm waiting for HDR monitors.

I have an old IBM 1280x1024 15" that I sometimes use as a side monitor when heavy spread sheeting. Works great and is heavy and solid as fuck. Been dropped/toured/gigged also more than a few times too and was ex-school.. hard life. Think it's an earlier version of the T115 but bigger base.

U2711 is in the 5 or 6 years territory now. Few nights back I was enjoying the almost total lack of BLB, 3rd panel lottery for dust/dark spots and that was icing on the cake. Very little out there that's much of a jump these days, waiting for OLED or just go 40"+ 4k if I have some extra dosh laying around this year.

Last edited:
Back