how long does it take your amd to boot up?

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
with the specs in my sig, i'd estimate around ~30 seconds, never really timed it though. what hardware upgrades make the most difference in faster startup times? i remember when i bought 512mb more ram, i hardly noticed (if any) difference at all...is it more hard drive speed? for instance...will a raptor make the startup much less or what?

how long does it take you fx-55 people?

how long does it take you X2 people?

25 seconds give or take a few. Faster HD, memory, CPU power effect the boot up time. Also, if your running raid or anything else that the bios loads and brings up a loading screen for it will slow you down. After the initial bios screen, my computer then goes to the RAID loading screen before starting to load windows.

At 20 seconds, why would you even care??

~30 seconds is not that bad. I remember it taking at least a minute getting into XP. I have 2 raptors on RAID and it takes 20 - 25 seconds before the HDD stop thrashing.

well boot up time i dff. from computer to computer... but my athlon xp 3200+ right now takes about 30-35 seconds and my athlon 64 system takes around 20-25.

with my a64 system, when windows load with the bars... it goes around twice and it gets to the login which I remove the password so that login screen shows for about less than one second and windows load all the way really quick.

yea my boot up generally takes around 25-30 seconds...ill time it tomorrow to get a better estimate

umm... you restart your computer?? i just leave it running for a month at a time..

ok,... let me think.. i would say.. hmm.. 42.. cause that's the answer to life, the universe, and all that is in it.. and to those who don't know what i am talking about.. about 30 seconds.. really.. it takes about 40 sec.. cause i have my dual boot set to 10 sec.. but if that was gone. .it owuld take about 30 sec...

edit.. i realized that i took my system specs out of my sig.. patrly becaue i have 10 computesr.. partly.. becuase i don't need to inflate my e-penis.. and partly because a ton of people turn of sigs anywyhs..

this is a a-xp-m 2200+ 35w. @ 2ghz.. 10x200... nice round numbers.. and 2-3-3-11 on bh-5.. i know i am pissing off those whoe know what the memory can do.. but my shuttle just doesn't like it.. and i can't oc on my mobo.. shuttle sn41g2v2.. blah

i am sp3nt...

<10 seconds in its prime, right now it's kinda messed up, need a new HD and I'd like to get a mobile a-xp

It's a 2600+ btw.

~Adam

As long as mine turns on, I really don't care what the startup time is, :D

Shorten your boot times by killing any programs you don't want to boot with XP. Go to start->run->type in "msconfig", go to "startup" tab and uncheck what you want. Really, unchecking all doesn't hurt a thing either. Depending on how many apps you have loading on startup, this can shorten your boot times by quite a chunk. ;)

Don't use msconfig to kill startup programs unless it is obvious to you what they are. If you're not sure, go to the control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management and open up the services section on the bottom left. This has descriptions of services and a warning when a service is required for an aspect of the OS to work properly.

Tsumari said:
. ..... warning when a service is required for an aspect of the OS to work properly.

This may have been true with msconfig and Windows 98, but XP doesn't list anything that is OS critical in msconfig startup. Unless someone can show me I'm mistaken? My PCs have everything unchecked, aside from styleXP and deamon tools.

~20 seconds...

By the time the screen boots up I'm at the WinXP loading screen. Than 1/2 bar, pauses, screen goes black. By the time the screen comes back to life I'm on the desktop with the icons and startbar loaded. A few seconds after that all the system tray stuff is done and I'm ready to go.

"Windows Startup Manager Software"
http://www.programurl.com/software/windows-startup-manager.htm

"How To Use Computer Management in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308423&sd=tech#XSLTH4145121122120121120120

"windows xp services"
http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

"Startup Programs in Windows msconfig"
http://www.mikescomputerinfo.com/startup.htm

I want to do this. I have Quicktime, Creative software, and Steam all loading when my windows starts.
I do not know whether to download a program and have the program do it. Or do it manually through > computer management > services section.

I linked a url at the top of the page which has many programs that do this.
What should i do? I'm a computer novice :p

my system is quite quick in windows, but my scsi controller messes up the quick boot time, so i don't worry about optimizing bootup

I used to have a Hitachi Ultra ATA133, 8MB cache, 7200RPM drive.

I now have a WD SATA, 8MB cache, 10000RPM drive.
I sorta don't see any difference in booting times :(

I guess maybe b/c i have the 36gb raptor?
I should have got the 74gb raptor!
I will be using a stop watch when i get home to time the boot process.

Back