Votes: 15 21.7%
  • 24 months

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Other

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm nearing the end of my 2 year contract and was wondering how many of you actually make it to two years before replacing your phone? I'm pretty rough with my phones so I haven't ever had a phone last more than a year since my first two Nokia bricks. How long do your phones last?

My phones last up until the end of my contracts (avg two years). Then I just switch to another service where I cannot possibly reuse the phone.

Mine USUALLY last 2 years. If its a good phone it will last longer, if its a junk phone it usually ends up getting replaced a few times and then upgraded.

Usually 2+ years, but I take care of my stuff. Except for that one time my phone went through the washer. :(

Hmm... I've owned 5 phones within the past year so I guess the longest I keep a phone is 3 months. There's no way I could keep a phone for an enrire contract. Hell I cant remember if I've ever kept a contract period. I'm a gadget whore. :(

T-Mobile Shadow >> iPhone 2G >> HTC Touch Pro (only had a week -- hated it) >> Blackberry Bold >> iPhone 3G >> prob a new iPhone when they come out or a Nokia N97.

Wow this is impressive, I thought all you [H] guys would be swapping out your phones every 2 or 3 months. :p What kind of lifetime talk hours are you guys seeing before replacement?

This is the list of phones I've gone through from 2006-2009. Hoping to get something new for both AT&T and T-Mobile later this summer, though I might just ditch T-Mobile since I don't really have much need for it anymore.

AT&T

Motorola RAZR V3 (Washed) -> Nokia 6102 -> Motorola SLVR (Keypad broke) -> Motorola SLVR (Lost a few weeks after insurance replacement) -> Samsung Blackjack (Literally was cracking in half after a year, though the punch to the screen finished it off :p) -> Samsung Blackjack II (Current)

T-Mobile

Motorola RAZR V3 -> Motorola RIZR Z3 Red (Traded) -> Motorola RIZR Z3 Blue (Lost a month after purchasing) -> Motorola RAZR V3 (Current, dying though)

my razr was 28 months old when I retired it. I probably would have lasted longer is expect, but the battery was getting pretty weak...

my razr was 28 months old when I retired it. I probably would have lasted longer is expect, but the battery was getting pretty weak...

That's the case with mine right now. FWIW I'm on a family plan with my sister and we're hoping (fingers crossed) that the iPhone gets ported to Verizon ... fingers crossed. :p

Last edited:
16 months on my HTC 6800. I snagged a new OEM HTC battery for it off of Amazon for $13 and I am good to go for another 16 months.

A $699 phone better make it two years damnit!

Before I switched to AT&T and started getting free handsets through work my phones with Verizon would last me over 2 years. I'm working on my 4th month with the HTC Fuze and hoping to nab a Nokia E71x whenever we get some in.

I'm pretty new to the whole cell phone thing. My first was a cheapy Motorola from Sprint. I got it 2 1/2 years ago, but gave it to my niece last year. It's still going strong. My second was an N78 in June or July last year. I came into some money (Vegas baby!) and upgraded to an N85 last week. I'm gonna give the N78 to another niece, but it's still in almost perfect shape.

roughly a year... I don't think I've ever used one past a year, before either breaking it or upgrading

2 years and i get new one, although i break it a little before then :)

I use my phones until they don't work anymore. I've had the one I'm using now for almost 3 years.

(Motorola Razr)

Im usually a cell phone nut and get a new phone every month or so. But last year I got the good ol' blackberry pearl and I love it so much that I've had it for about 8 months. 4 months ago, it broke (OS problems), and I got the same phone again :D.

About six months for my last ones, fits with the length of contracts here in DK (legally they cannot bind one more than six months).

I have some Samsung X-something (tiny tiny things, no camera or nothing but good reception and battery life) I keep around as backups. I think they're about 4 or 5 years old now, and I still use one of them occasionally.

About six months for my last ones, fits with the length of contracts here in DK (legally they cannot bind one more than six months).

I'm envious. We get stuck for 2 years over here in the US, as you likely already know. Sucks.

You guys are lucky. The shortest I can remember was one year, then the standard became two...the accountants who came up with that brilliant idea can jump off a cliff so far as I'm concerned. :p

My first new phone (Nokia N93i) was about 5 months before I bought the N82 in December 2007 (I'm bored with it's features :D)
I had the N82 for almost 1 year then buy the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 in November 2008 (Because the same problem, bored of it's features and want to try something more advance) :D
Now I still have all of them :D

I had a Nokia 6850 for 3 years. Then it broke and now I've had the first iPhone since release day. I'll likely upgrade to the next version whenever it comes around.

at about 18 mos I typically get bored and want a new phone..

My phones physically work well past the time I stop using them as I am careful with them.
But I do change phones about every year, buying a used one or getting a new one with a new contract agreement.

My only phone that stopped working and required me to get a new one was my Verizon XV-6700. I bought a car charger/base and it fried my USB port on the phone, which is also where it charges from, so that limited the functionality of the phone and I got a different phone, Samsung Alias.

FML, well I almost made it to 9 months this year. Just broke the center button and the vibration function on my Blackjack II in an unfortunate collision with my bedpost :(

The First one (Ericson something, brickish): About a year. I accidentally dropped it off a planetarium.
The Second one (Nokia 6162): Maybe a year, fell out of my pocket in a cab.
The Second one, rev. 2 (same model): About 5 years. 2000-2005. It just quit working one day for no apparent reason.
The Third one: (Palm Treo 650): Almost 4 years now. 2005-present. I had to replace the antenna about 6 months ago. Other than that it's fine except that the paint is wearing off some of the keys & the screen has a few scratches.

Back