How long before we see dx12 only game.

How long before release of a game that won't run on dx11 cards.

• 1 year

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • 2 years

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • 3 years

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • 4 years

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • 5 years

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • dx12 will be backwards compatible with all games until dx13

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

455olds

Gawd
How long before we see a major game title release that will only run on dx12? I mean not even start on dx11 (like Crysis 3 release wouldn't run on dx10 cards)

1. DX10 cards were first released in 2006 and Crysis 3 was released in 2013. You should have started your poll at 5 years and worked your way up.

2. DX12 is supported on almost all Nvidia 400, 500, and 600 series cards, so there aren't very many Nvidia DX11 cards that don't support DX12. I don't know the details on this for AMD cards, someone else will have to comment, but that doesn't matter for meeting the criteria for your question.

So, I think the answer to your question is no, there won't be any DX12-only games that don't run on any DX11 cards, so I didn't even vote on the poll (the last choice is worded kind of weird).

1. DX10 cards were first released in 2006 and Crysis 3 was released in 2013. You should have started your poll at 5 years and worked your way up.

2. DX12 is supported on almost all Nvidia 400, 500, and 600 series cards, so there aren't very many Nvidia DX11 cards that don't support DX12. I don't know the details on this for AMD cards, someone else will have to comment, but that doesn't matter for meeting the criteria for your question.

So, I think the answer to your question is no, there won't be any DX12-only games that don't run on any DX11 cards, so I didn't even vote on the poll (the last choice is worded kind of weird).
This will be interesting to see. I don't think Nvidia DX11 cards will have full DX12 support. My poll was intended to start from now roughly,time of release first DX12 cards.

Here's Microsoft's most recent statement, from earlier this month:

"Microsoft's recent demonstration of a few new Windows 10 game experiences powered by DirectX12 has led some people to ask what specific hardware will be supported by the DirectX12 API," according to a statement released by Microsoft today. "While we are not yet ready to detail everything related to DirectX12, we can share that we are working closely with all of our hardware partners to help ensure that most modern PC gaming hardware will work well with DirectX12, including; NVIDIA's Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi-based GPUs, Intel's 4th generation (and newer) Core processors and AMD's Graphics Core Next (GCN) based GPUs. We'll have more to share about DirectX12 at GDC in March."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/22/7874793/directx-12-wont-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all

The article goes on to say that what is new and hardware-based in DX12 is "a handful of rendering pipeline features".

(Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi are Nvidia 600, 500 and 400 series. AMD GCN cards are 7000, 8000 and Rx 200 series.)

No valid poll result.
The game will be backwards compatible.

Microsoft said DX11 would be backwards compatible also. Its hard to find articles from that long ago but it is mentioned here. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/08/01/directx-11-optimises-for-multithreading-and-gpgpu/1

[QUOTETGDaily had a chat with Kevin Unangst, Senior Global Director of Windows Gaming at Microsoft, who clarified a few points for the future: DirectX 11 will be backward compatible with DirectX 10 and 10.1, like 9 was with 8, 7, 6 etc. This means that those who own Vista and don't want to upgrade to Windows 7 will still be able to get the benefits of the latest DirectX.
DirectX 11 will better support multi-core and multi-threading machines so existing hardware will be better off.
Tessellation will also be introduced and will work on DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11 hardware - this means those with ATI HD 2000, 3000 and 4000 series cards will see benefits from DirectX 11 because they currently support this feature.][/QUOTE]

I Should have worded poll better. If you think all DX12 games will be backwards compatible in future check last option on poll.

dx11 to dx10 Backward hardware capability is also mentioned here. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s-performance-hd-4890-cards-gigabyte-msi.html
It is also worthwhile remembering that DX11 games will be backwards compatible with DX10 hardware which means the purchase of a HD 4890 now won’t mean you will be totally shut out of playing upcoming games either.

I'd say at least 5 years under normal circumstances, but given that Microsoft is offering free upgrades for W7 and W8 users to get all consumers under the W10 umbrella (XP is already cut off and I can't imagine too many are still running Vista), I wouldn't be surprised if we see a DX12-only game much sooner than normal. I wouldn't be surprised if a game comes out within 2 years that won't run on DX11, even if it's just a glorified tech demo to show off W10 / DX12.

Depends on how fast Windows 10 is accepted. If it takes off like Windows 7, probably no longer than 2-3 years, but even then the mass majority would include DX12 as an added bonus level feature, not one that's absolutely required.

It'll be a long time 5+ years before a good amount of games probably require DX12 as a baseline. Doesn't help that Microsoft keeps play fuck fuck games with DirectX using it as a hostage to upgrade to new versions of Windows. That has really killed DX versions from taking off severely since Vista.

Safe to say it was only a year? My gtx670 failed the steamvr test. I think it needs to be a dx12 card to run it. No backwards compatibility if benchmark is accurate.

Gears of War is DX12 only right? So the one year predictions came true I suppose. Quantum Break should be the same way. And Forza is coming this month.

Gears of War is DX12 only right? So the one year predictions came true I suppose. Quantum Break should be the same way. And Forza is coming this month.

Gears Of War Ultimate Edition is probably as "DX12 Only" as Halo 2 was "DX10 Only", only the hackers haven't bothered to patch it back because the original works better than that broken mess of a port.

View attachment 791

My mistake. Not sure why my 670 wont run it.

*edit*
My other computer did well.
vrready.png

Last edited:
Are you saying the benchmark won't run at all? Or it just isn't rated as capable? The newer APIs are not a requirement for upcoming VR.

As for the original question in this thread what ended up happening is that MS decided to leverage it's portfolio to push Win 10 and DX12. So you will be seeing DX12 only games rather soon as those have already been announced. If you asked this a year ago (when it was) based on the assumption that MS would be pushing it's Xbox game's over to the PC then I'd think people's answers would be different, as logically it'd be assumed they'd leverage those titles to push Win 10.

The more interesting question going forward would be adoption rate for third party games.

As long as DX12 in linked with Windows 10, any game developer would be willfully losing market share (and profit, which may or may not break the bank) by doing a DX12 only game. As long as Windows 7 and 8 (or 8.1) retain any appreciable number of users, DX12-only games would be a mistake.

As long as DX12 in linked with Windows 10, any game developer would be willfully losing market share (and profit, which may or may not break the bank) by doing a DX12 only game. As long as Windows 7 and 8 (or 8.1) retain any appreciable number of users, DX12-only games would be a mistake.
But when you look at how quickly Win 10 has eaten in to that share then it becomes completely understandable why DX12 only games may surface and rather quickly.

Are you saying the benchmark won't run at all? Or it just isn't rated as capable? The newer APIs are not a requirement for upcoming VR.

As for the original question in this thread what ended up happening is that MS decided to leverage it's portfolio to push Win 10 and DX12. So you will be seeing DX12 only games rather soon as those have already been announced. If you asked this a year ago (when it was) based on the assumption that MS would be pushing it's Xbox game's over to the PC then I'd think people's answers would be different, as logically it'd be assumed they'd leverage those titles to push Win 10.

The more interesting question going forward would be adoption rate for third party games.

It wouldn't run at all for me but its not a DX12 issue. In above post fnZx got it to run on his 680 and 770.

Untitled.png

Good thing Google isnt running DX. They would discontinue it and replace it with something that is not compatible at all.

I'd say around 4 years. Every game in development right now is going to be DX11 based. It will take a few years for those games to come out, and if successor projects use the same base (which they most likely will) then they will likely support DX11 to. A new game/engine built now that releases 4 years down the road may be DX12 only. By then we'll likely be on another Windows and a new gen of consoles coming out.

How long before we see a major game title release that will only run on dx12? I mean not even start on dx11 (like Crysis 3 release wouldn't run on dx10 cards)
The answer is now

Quantum Break: coming (only) to a Windows 10 PC near you.

With the news that Remedy Entertainment's upcoming Xbox One and PC exclusive Quantum Break would only be available for Windows 10 via the Windows Store, and only run under DirectX 12, there's been something of an uproar in the PC gaming community. Along with lamenting the cessation of support for the likes of Windows 7, of course—a sadly inevitable decision given Microsoft's aggressive push of its latest OS—there are also some incredibly steep recommended system requirements, which call for a Core i5, Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 390, and 16GB of system memory.

But when you look at how quickly Win 10 has eaten in to that share then it becomes completely understandable why DX12 only games may surface and rather quickly.

How "quickly?" 10 adoption continues to slow down month over month, 7 is still king. It'll take years for 10 to catch it, so developers are going to remain conservative and stick with DX11 because it serves their bottom line no purpose to artificially limit their potential market to just one version of Windows - and not even the biggest one.

I think will last 3-4 years at least till will appear DX12 only apps. Developers should wait that majority DX11/10 cards to die or be retired, otherwise wil born a huge scandal IMHO.

The answer is now

Quantum Break: coming (only) to a Windows 10 PC near you.

With the news that Remedy Entertainment's upcoming Xbox One and PC exclusive Quantum Break would only be available for Windows 10 via the Windows Store, and only run under DirectX 12, there's been something of an uproar in the PC gaming community. Along with lamenting the cessation of support for the likes of Windows 7, of course—a sadly inevitable decision given Microsoft's aggressive push of its latest OS—there are also some incredibly steep recommended system requirements, which call for a Core i5, Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 390, and 16GB of system memory.

That is interesting. Here is link with requirements. http://www.vg247.com/2016/02/11/qua...ndows-pc-alongside-xbox-one-version-in-april/
It says dx12 only for minimum requirements to play game.

I don't like when they do this. It would be better to get more life out of expensive high end gaming hardware. I remember buying a Pentium 4 rig that was a lot of money for me at the time,then dual core came along. I didn't get the use of of the p4 system i would have liked to.

Back