How Juicero Evolved from IoT Tech Investment Darling to Mockery of Human Laziness

That feel when you don't even have to squeeze the bag. You can just cut it open and pour.

Excuse me, what is wrong with chewing again?
Juicing for a while is actually not bad, I did it for a week I guess I did feel some changes.. I probably should have done it longer tough.
Didn't lose any weight, which was part of why I stopped... should have done it longer, as the suffering/benefits are supposed to be less/more with more time.

All these juicing and smoothie machines are total shit.

My other half bought a juicer and it utilised about 7 or 8 complex pieces of plastic and metal that all required intense careful cleaning after use. She would use the juicer then drink the juice in 30 seconds. Leaving me with 15 minutes of extra washing up time (we don't have a dishwasher and it probably wouldnt work with that). That beetroot really gets stuck in those tiny grooves and such.

After about 4 or 5 rounds of this I told her that in future if she wanted to make a glass of juice she had to wash the parts up after.

Amazingly the juicer was NEVER used again. Sat in the kitchen for about 6 years before being given to the charity shop.

Apparently it seems I'm not the only one that's experienced this phenomenon.

Juicing for a while is actually not bad, I did it for a week I guess I did feel some changes.. I probably should have done it longer tough.
Didn't lose any weight, which was part of why I stopped... should have done it longer, as the suffering/benefits are supposed to be less/more with more time.

From what I saw on the documentary 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' you need to go at least 10 days minimum for the weight to start peeling off...that and some exercises. The feel good factor kicks in after 4 days or so, up till then you feel like crap apparently.

I'm really not sure about your analogy of 'human hands are good enough!

I could cut my lawn with scissors or a push mower, but I'm gonna use the lawn tractor anyway :p

How about your lawn is just 1 sq. ft? Would you buy a $400 mower to mow your 1 sq. ft lawn or use a $10 grass cutter?

On a related note (this is a pet peeve of mine): in most cases a $20 moka pot ($50 if you need an electric one) is just as good as or even better than a $400 espresso machine. Additionally, just as is the case with this juice presser thingy, if you get a coffee machine which uses pre-packaged packets you are overpaying insanely for your coffee.

On a related note (this is a pet peeve of mine): in most cases a $20 moka pot ($50 if you need an electric one) is just as good as or even better than a $400 espresso machine. Additionally, just as is the case with this juice presser thingy, if you get a coffee machine which uses pre-packaged packets you are overpaying insanely for your coffee.

Yes but this connects to the internet....for some reason that I cant fathom.

Its like IOT lightbulbs. I don't get the need for a lightbulb that needs a stack of tech behind it when usually light switches are just in the doorway as you walk in a room.

People will buy any shit if its got unnecessary internet capability.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Uh oh... I guess they were just way too ahead of their time. They should have waited until humans evolved beyond the need for teeth.

All these juicing and smoothie machines are total shit.

My other half bought a juicer and it utilised about 7 or 8 complex pieces of plastic and metal that all required intense careful cleaning after use. She would use the juicer then drink the juice in 30 seconds. Leaving me with 15 minutes of extra washing up time (we don't have a dishwasher and it probably wouldnt work with that). That beetroot really gets stuck in those tiny grooves and such.

After about 4 or 5 rounds of this I told her that in future if she wanted to make a glass of juice she had to wash the parts up after.

Amazingly the juicer was NEVER used again. Sat in the kitchen for about 6 years before being given to the charity shop.

Apparently it seems I'm not the only one that's experienced this phenomenon.

Heh...my wife as well. The juice she made could be pretty tasty and different, but damn getting all those little seeds and fibers out of the gears, etc, took forever. Especially in California during the drought, that's how I actually convinced her to stop, the gallons of water used to wash the damn thing was so wasteful.

Also, don't forget...these change the world "investments" are the ones VCs and Silicon Valley culture encourage people to work 18+ hour days, 7 days a week, ignoring their family for...because, you know, that's a good work ethic (to make the VCs rich).

Juicing is useless, unless you want water that has a small fraction of nutrients from the actual fruit. I don't get why people spend so much money to make their own fruit juice.

If eating whole fruit is too terrible then just blend it.

Well they didn't last long. You can only sell snake oil for so long before you get called out on it.

Juicing is useless, unless you want water that has a small fraction of nutrients from the actual fruit. I don't get why people spend so much money to make their own fruit juice.

You want the fiber in the fruit too w/ blending, helps slow down the sugar absorption.

I wouldn't say it's useless. I agree that for nutrition, just eat the damned fruit, or blend maybe. However, if you want to make some kind of fresh, delicious, maybe even exotic juice to... enjoy... then a juicer has it's uses. We have a Breville (sp?). It doesn't get used that often, but every once in a while we'll take it out, make some interesting juice, then put it back again for a while. It's not by any means a necessary appliance I'll grant you. It's really nice for making interesting cocktails though.

I wouldn't say it's useless. I agree that for nutrition, just eat the damned fruit, or blend maybe. However, if you want to make some kind of fresh, delicious, maybe even exotic juice to... enjoy... then a juicer has it's uses. We have a Breville (sp?). It doesn't get used that often, but every once in a while we'll take it out, make some interesting juice, then put it back again for a while. It's not by any means a necessary appliance I'll grant you. It's really nice for making interesting cocktails though.
Valid argument. My comment was for those who decide to juice instead because they are told it's healthier, or because they can't be bothered with eating it whole.

Valid argument. My comment was for those who decide to juice instead because they are told it's healthier, or because they can't be bothered with eating it whole.

Agree completely there, and that was more on topic than my personal "use case".

The only thing that is difficult to understand is how anyone got suckered into investing into this idiotic idea in the first place. This idea was never even capable of producing better juice than a $30 juicer. I'll continue to believe this was an extremely elaborate money laundering scheme until proven otherwise.

The only thing that is difficult to understand is how anyone got suckered into investing into this idiotic idea in the first place. This idea was never even capable of producing better juice than a $30 juicer. I'll continue to believe this was an extremely elaborate money laundering scheme until proven otherwise.
The thing didn't even produce "juice" in the sense it was taking raw fruit/vedge and extracting the juice at that moment it was dispensed. They juiced at the factory, threw in some pulp from the process (reducing their trash output) and thought the hipsters would swig the whole sham down.

Back