how is your Meanwell PSU placed in case?

noskill

n00b
Hello,

of course Meanwell's are designed to run hot. And it wouldn't be a big deal, but they're using Sunon fan, which turns out to be loud as hell. I'm building silent killah here and don't want this Sunon to start up at all.

So I've build my rig and placed my Meanwell inside using custom-made retention things:

tec_1.jpg

So it was placed here (see it in 5.25 bay in top):

tec_2.jpg

Well, I started to dislike that after few days. No incoming cold air, so fan started working in 5 minutes after system is powered and would turn off when I turn off the whole system.

Allright, I thought. I'll put you in another place:

tec_3.jpg

As you see, I placed Meanwell above Zalman so 80mm fan would throw some air to it and keep it relatively cool. But it still starts its fan.

So how do you guys place your Meanwell? Top, 5.25 bays, bottom or even external? If external, do you use any kind of cooling to keep it silent?

One more thought. Of course I powering just the CPU Peltier (226w, Swiftech) with this PSU. Peltier is rated 24 Amps @ 12V, which gives up 288W of power consumption and PSU gives out 25A @ 15 and rated at 360W, so it is 90% load. I could use that newest PSU from Meanwell (SCN-600), which gives 600W and 50 Amps, so it would be just 48% load so it won't be so hot. But I'm not sure yet how about its fan and whats more important, $240 is kinda sucks.

Of course the easiest way is to replace that Sunon with low-db-good-cfm ratio fan, but I don't want to mess with that PSU -- some big electricity is inside capacitors (I believe 25 Amps even at 12V enough to have shock or at worse case, kill) and I don't know about current fan CFM ratio -- so if I'll install fan with lower CFM, my PSU might just go on fire :)

Please post your Meanwell setups with pictures, I would be very appreciated.

You could safely replace that fan without ever touching the bottom circuit board, pull the top off, snip the fan wires, splice in a new fan.

Besides that, why don't you suspend it horizontally in front of that 80mm so air is blowing over the top and bottom, that might work. Or you could cut a blowhole in the top of your case and put the psu under it.

rm.o said:
You could safely replace that fan without ever touching the bottom circuit board, pull the top off, snip the fan wires, splice in a new fan.

Besides that, why don't you suspend it horizontally in front of that 80mm so air is blowing over the top and bottom, that might work. Or you could cut a blowhole in the top of your case and put the psu under it.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. I can put it at the bottom, yes.

I tried to open Meanwell some time ago, it seems like one bolt has screw nut inside made in a such way so it prevents opening. Or at least I was unable to open it.

Have you tried opening Meanwell, rm.o?

Back