How is WiMAX a threat to ISPs?

chaokai

Limp Gawd
I keep hearing it again and again. Isn't WiMAX a successor to a WiFi, only broader broadcast range and faster bandwidth? Regardless of how fast it can be, you still need a service provider that provides Internet access to WiMAX base station within that area before you can have a WiMAX card functional, don't you? Some people may be confused on its threat to WiFi, 3G, and what not other wireless standards, whereas WiMAX is in fact more ISP oriented. Isn't it the case that Intel and ISP's would work together to bring it into effect instead of competing against one another?
Shed some light or share your thoughts, both welcome!

If you think of typical ISP's, like cable and land line phone, then yeah it's a threat, because customers won't have to wire to get the service.

But due to what the base definition of an ISP is, it's not a threat to all ISP's, just those who need wires to work.

Seems to me the 'wired' internets would be jumping on this 'new' technology as a way to boost customers...instead of being 'afraid' or 'worried' about the new tech taking over their customer base....

(as a side note, if it was a available in my area I'd probably use it...)

I think wimax will really pick up in rural areas, and for mobile users in business districts, but it won't have much impact in suburban areas which already carry cable, dsl, and fios. I realize WiMax is an improvement over the typical 802.11b, but fixed-point wireless connections just cannot gurantee the reliability, latency, and throughput of traditional wired services. I think there will be competition with wired services with a limited customer base, but most residential customers will remain with their current services.

I think WiMAX still has a long way to go. Sure it does bring faster speed of Internet and wireless advantage, however not many people have a portable device such as laptop, PDA, and so on to connect to Internet when they are outdoors. Unless WiMAX's bringing down the cost substantially upon its debut, metropolitan people may as well stay with their cuurent broadband access for the time being.

Cheers,

Currently WiMax is only being used as a backbone for Municipal Mesh Networks because the equipment is expensive and because it requires more power then current Wifi standards. Once they start to improve on the hardware design it will come down to the point that it can be more feasible in portable devices and home networks, etc.

Raystream

It's not a threat to ISPs...it's another option for them to offer a service. I'll wager it'll be used more by smaller, more specific client based ISP's..such as those who provide managed services for businesses.

The consulting firm I work at, next door to us is a small ISP we partner with that provides managed bandwidth and hosting and other "higher end services" for businesses. He's an ISP...but specifically towards businesses. He currently has been providing a service which is similar to WIMAX, using Motorola Canopy equipment. It's wireless point to point, up to 15 megs of bandwidth, that he shoots from the rooftop of the tall building we're in, providing managed internet for many businesses. Most of them just get 2 meg connections, but a small school client of mine on an island 8 miles off the coast will be getting a 15 meg one shot across the sound to them.

I'll wager we'll see WIMAX start out being utilized for businesses, with managed services...and in a few more years trickle its way down to the home setups....although I don't believe it'll ever compete on an entry level with DSL or cable...pricewise.

hi all

this is new news from my country....

It is Telecom Company and they will give high speed internet access depend on Wimax wireless technology for business and home customers .

they go to WiMax because the first Telecom company didn't agree for using their copper cable (underground network) through all of our country.. they said the new telecom company must build their own underground copper cable in all of the country .. ( just think about it to digging hundreds miles this will take 10 years at Least) the first Company is SAUDI TELECOM it's Suck.

ITC starts Saudi WiMax delivery

Trials are beginning this month in Saudi Arabia for what will be the Kingdom’s largest wireless broadband network.

The multimillion-dollar project, which is being implemented by Integrated Telecom Company (ITC), will also be the first such network in Saudi Arabia to be based on WiMax technology.

The network will be installed using a turnkey solution from Intracom and IP solutions from Cisco, and will be based on WiMax technology from Redline Communications.

ITC, which was set up last year and is a sister company of Saudi’s Orbit media firm, will provide high-speed wireless, voice, video and data services on a countrywide scale.

Its network will also include digital leased lines, VPN services, Metro Ethernet and international data gateway services.

“The availability of broadband with a large bandwidth will open so many doors in Saudi Arabia,” said Mohammed O-mar, president and chief executive officer of ITC.

“The demand for communications technology in the Middle East is growing rapidly and ITC has recognised the potential for WiMax technologies to improve communications ,” added Majed Sifri, president and CEO of Redline Communications.

The first phase of the deployment will cost US$22 million and will be completed in April.
It will involve the setting up of an infrastructure to support the network, including the installation of base stations and
acess points.

In the second phase, which will be completed in 2007, ITC will focus on establishing the metro Ethernet, voice capability and voice solutions on the network.

The final phase — for which there is no fixed completion date — will involve the expansion of the network.

The pilot test for the system will take place towards the end of this month, and by January services will be available to selected corporate customers and some members of the Saudi Royal family.

Broadband services will be fully up and running by April, the company said. ITC’s aim is to ultimately deliver services such as voice-over-IP services, multi-casting and triple play to businesses and residents.

The main priority, according to Omar, is to provide users with a much needed speedy and secure internet connection.
“At the moment people just want their basic internet needs to be met,” he said.

“Residents want high speed basic internet access and what businesses really want is secure connectivity between the different departments in their businesses,” he continued.

He added that ITC was already in talks with the Saudi government about setting up e-government based on the
new technology.

“Making this bandwidth available will open so many doors
in Saudi Arabia,” Omar claimed. “We have had a great deal of interest from the government and from the education sector. Once the infrastructure we are building is complete there will be more and more discussions with the government about setting up e-government in Saudi Arabia.”

Yaman Abousaleh, territory and account manager for ITC at Cisco, said the network would be of great benefit to users in Saudi.

“It has not been a top priority for other service providers in the country but ITC wants the time to market of this to happen as quickly as possible,” he claimed.

A rival service provided by Mobily does provide broadband access in four cities — Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Khubar and Dahran — following the telco’s deployment of Aperto Networks’ PacketWave broadband wireless systems in September.

http://www.redlinecommunications.com/index.html?news/releases/102605.html

REDLINE’S WIMAX PRODUCTS CHOSEN FOR MAJOR BROADBAND NETWORK IN SAUDI ARABIA

INTRACOM to deploy RedMAX and Cisco solutions as part of (U.S.) $22.2 million first phase of IP-Network project for ITC

SAUDI ARABIA—October 26, 2005—Redline Communications Inc., a leading provider of standards-based broadband wireless equipment, today announced its RedMAX family of WiMAX products will be deployed with Cisco Systems, Inc’s IP solutions part of the (U.S.) $22.2 million first phase of a major IP network implementation in Saudi Arabia. INTRACOM Middle East, a leading multinational information and communications technology solutions provider, will incorporate RedMAX in a country-wide communications network for Integrated Telecom Company Ltd. (ITC), a licensed data service provider in Saudi Arabia.

"ITC has chosen Redline and Cisco as our technology providers on this initiative for expertise and their ability to provide the most sophisticated and proven telecommunications solutions," said Mohammed H. Omar, President and CEO of ITC. "The ITC project will be among the world's first large scale networks to incorporate Redline’s WiMAX technologies that will enable more commercial and residential to access wireless broadband connectivity."

The RedMAX products will be part of a network that will bring advanced communications services to the region, including high-speed wireless voice, video and data services for residential and business users. Redline’s RedMAX base stations and access points will be installed as part of the network, enabling ITC to offer WiMAX services throughout Saudi Arabia. In addition to WiMAX wireless broadband, the network will include IP solutions from Cisco, digital leased lines, VPN services, metro Ethernet, and international data gateway services.

“The demand for communications technology in the Middle East is growing rapidly and ITC has recognized the potential for WiMAX technologies to improve communications for businesses and other organizations,” said Majed Sifri, President and CEO, Redline Communication Inc. “We are pleased to be chosen along with Cisco as a technology provider to ITC. This collaboration brings together what we believe are the best technologies and highest levels of expertise available to make this large-scale telecommunications network a success.”

Redline’s RedMAX Family
Redline’s WiMAX solutions are designed to operate in a wide range of network designs and deployments, including point-to-point and point-to-multi-point, in urban and rural geographies. The RedMAX carrier class Base Station (AN-100U) delivers voice, video, and prioritized data traffic to the indoor and outdoor RedMAX Subscriber Units, which feature the Intel® PRO/Wireless 5116 broadband interface. RedMAX products are currently undergoing WiMAX testing at the Cetecom in Malaga, Spain.

About Redline Communications
Redline Communications is a technology leader in the design and manufacture of standards-based broadband wireless access solutions. Using industry leading OFDM technologies, Redline’s award-winning products provide unmatched high capacity and non-line-of-sight capabilities with proven performance, reliability and security. Ideal for a variety of access, backhaul and private network applications, Redline products meet the needs of carriers, service providers and enterprises worldwide. Redline is a principal member of the WiMAX Forum™, and was first in the world to market an 802.16 compliant product. Redline has over 20,000 installations in 75 countries across six continents through a global distribution network of 80+ partners

Ahhh, WiMax. An interesting subject since I am invested in a few key players.

If you are interested in WiMax, and how the ISP's are reacting to it in the US, you should
keep a close eye on what is going on in New Orleans.

The City Govt. has provided free WiFi access to the major metro area in an attempt
jump-start the buisness sector. How does this effect WiMax? Well, the ISP's are crying foul
as you'd imagine. How it plays out could set a precedence for the entire nation. Especially
if they rule against the ISP's.

SiathLinux said:
Seems to me the 'wired' internets would be jumping on this 'new' technology as a way to boost customers...instead of being 'afraid' or 'worried' about the new tech taking over their customer base....

(as a side note, if it was a available in my area I'd probably use it...)

Wow, hello thread ressurection.

Anyway, the reason the wire providers are scard of WiMAX is because they have so much invested in their wires. Think about how much it costs to lay all that copper/fiber, and if WiMAX does become big, there will be no return on the investment. Jumping on a new tech is good, but now that business has to finish paying for their old copper, AND buy new equpment/training to support WiMAX.

WiMAX probably will be a pretty big thing, but it needs to happen slowly so that the wired ISP's can recoup their costs before abandoning their wires.

Back