How is this cisco equipment?

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Hi - we're looking at getting a Cisco switch, a Cisco catalyst 2950. Being a non profit we can get it for $60 - which seems like a very good price. But I just wanted to make sure - is it a good solid switch? Similarly - we are looking at a package deal with the same switch and a 1700 series router for $200. What do you think? Right now we have a DSL modem attached to a Linksys router (the series that are designed for home networks) attached to a 16 port D-Link hub. Our Internet connection like this is horribly slow. We are adding 10 new computers to the network (so we'll have a total of 23) and so we're going through a major upgrade now. So if we were to just get the Cisco switch - we'd continue using the Linksys router. But if we got the package deal - we'd do away with both the Linksys router and the D-Link hub. What do you think we should do? Thanks!

Ofcourse it is a good switch...but I do have to question the quality of it for 60$. I work at a non profit and we get 33% off retail which is no where near 60$. Who are you buying it through?

I would consider a little more expandability though. With 23 computers that just won't last.

Gotta love TechSoup eh? (Zlash...most non-profits can apply to qualify at www.techsoup.org and get HUGELY discounted software, and some hardware, including Microsoft operating systems, office products, Symantec antivirus...often just for pocket change)

Yes the Cisco CATs are fine switches indeed...you'll be the envy of many network guru's. The retail starting around 600 bucks and on up, depending upon options.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Gotta love TechSoup eh? (Zlash...most non-profits can apply to qualify at www.techsoup.org and get HUGELY discounted software, and some hardware, including Microsoft operating systems, office products, Symantec antivirus...often just for pocket change)

Yes the Cisco CATs are fine switches indeed...you'll be the envy of many network guru's. The retail starting around 600 bucks and on up, depending upon options.
Yup. Actually I didn't even realize they had Cisco hardware until earlier today when I stumbled upon it. I saw the prices and was like :eek:

We're just about to buy a large number of MS licenses (24 Office XP, 11 Windows XP, 1 Windows small business server). Only unfortunate thing is the last time that we had to buy MS software - Microsoft sent all of it to us for free (14 x windows xp, 14x office xp 2002, and a couple other things which I forget now). But still - paying $8 for Windows XP Pro still sits pretty darn well with me! :D

What I'm concerned with is why your current network is so slow. It appears to me that its all due to the hub in place. Upgrading that to a switch, any switch for that matter, will greatly improve the network performance. However, I don't think moving up to the 1700 will really improve the network a whole lot. Perhaps you should increase the bandwidth of your DSL connection before upgrading the Linksys. Yes moving to the 1700 would be good from an enterprise standpoint, but if your link is slow, having an enterprise class router won't fix the bandwidth crunch (QoS issues aside). Of course this is assuming that there even is a bottleneck. I still think your hub is the root of the network sluggishness. On the flip side, if you are 100% sure you'll be adding more systems soon, then I'd go for teh 1700 as well. It'll future-proof the network for a good price and eliminate the remaining point-of-failure (I've read that the Linksys cannot handle more than a dozen or so systems effectively).

BobSutan said:
What I'm concerned with is why your current network is so slow. It appears to me that its all due to the hub in place. Upgrading that to a switch, any switch for that matter, will greatly improve the network performance. However, I don't think moving up to the 1700 will really improve the network a whole lot. Perhaps you should increase the bandwidth of your DSL connection before upgrading the Linksys. Yes moving to the 1700 would be good from an enterprise standpoint, but if your link is slow, having an enterprise class router won't fix the bandwidth crunch (QoS issues aside). Of course this is assuming that there even is a bottleneck. I still think your hub is the root of the network sluggishness. On the flip side, if you are 100% sure you'll be adding more systems soon, then I'd go for teh 1700 as well. It'll future-proof the network for a good price and eliminate the remaining point-of-failure (I've read that the Linksys cannot handle more than a dozen or so systems effectively).

Well honestly we've nearly maxed out our building. I would be very surprised if we added more than 5 computers in the next 5 years. I guess we'll just stick with the linksys then.

We already get most of our software at very discounted prices but hardware is another story. I didn't find any cisco stuff on thier website though.

Nevermind, found the cisco stuff. Hmm i wonder if we qualify.

The following organizations are not eligible to receive Cisco donations:

# Religious organizations without a secular community designation: A secular designation is defined as an organization separate from the church or religious organization that provides services to people regardless of their religious beliefs and does not propagate a belief in a specific faith. Example: A food bank with nonprofit or charity status that is run by a church, but is a separate and unique organization that provides food and meals to anyone who qualifies for services, regardless of religious beliefs.
# Foundations and Grantmaking Organizations
# Schools
# Museums
# Libraries
# Camps
# Zoos
# Any organization that advocates, supports or practices discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic background.

Well there goes that...

Just got a new Cisco 2950-12 switch and am trying to archive / backup the IOS to tftp. Each time I try I get the message, "%Error opening flash:c2950-i6q412-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin (File or Directory doesn't exist)." I have verified that the file does exist using the "show ver" command and I have been successful copying some of the other files in the flash directory to the tftp server. Can anybody out there help?

Back