How is there no backlash over the Assassins Creed 3 ending (all spoilers inside)

roaf85

2[H]4U
So all the Mass Effect 3 fanboys who also play Assassins Creed 3 should find reasons to shit all over this game due to the ending. Multiplayer aside which honestly was fun for like the first game and then dulled out. In my opinion ME3 was a better multiplayer. However I know a ton of people that played AC3 for the single player. So after playing 5 games what do we get? Quite possibility one of the most hyped games and worst story telling in any series to date. Here is a good bullshit list:

1. Onion layers of bullshit. First it was a vault then its a temple...after seeing the 3rd ending none of it really ties together. Why did we go to all these other vaults if the Grand Temple was the one that could stop the choas?

2. Ending shits all over the progression from the last games? Oh you thought Desmond's child would be the key from Subject 16s video in Brotherhood. Jokes on you my friend. Oh you thought maybe it would be explained like in AC2 how the Templar existed through time with possibility Washington being a Templar? Never explained. Adam and Eve? Never explained. Find Eve? Looks like it had nothing to do with it. Subject 6 is the key? Never explained.

3. No one explains anything. Subject 16...nothing about the other subjects...Lucy LOL fuckers. William Miles just shows up out of the blue and hates his son. Desmond dies because of some bullshit plot about Juno to extend the series. Yet no one mentions this till this game.

4. About zero character development. Instead of developing awesome characters like they did in AC2 we are left with Connor who doesn't know what the hell he wants to be? Templar/neutral/Assassin. He wants to unite? I guess that can't happen. Oh well it just can't happen. No explanation. Washington a Templar? We will never know. Subject 6? never know. Lucy never know. Subject 16s message. Never know. Adam and Eve? Didn't play much of a part for the ending I guess. Juno's motives? Mineva? etc

5. Bullshit items. A key/some discs/blah blah blah. Everyone is searching for something but there never intertwine. Lets find some apples, oh wait those don't mean shit lets find this key to open the Grand Temple. Why the hell was the Templar searching for all the Apples anyways? You think if we had recorded history from the 1770s someone along the Templar reign would have wrote it down to kill the Assassins for the key or some shit. Would have saved us a lot of time.

AC3's ending basically shits all over the other stories in the franchise. The appeal of AC2 was the plot theories about the first civilization Adam and Eve etc. That explanation and how it all related to the end of the world and most importantly the battle between the Creed and the Templars. Instead that is just shit all over when a 5 year old writes the ending off as Desmond dying, you know just because he needed too, and Juno being the apparent evil.

I kind of didn't even notice AC/AC2 had a plot, or one I cared about anyway. Most of the time that annoying guy was blah blah blahing to whichever woman/man I was finding how many times I could press the esc/space key. So i'm going to assume this wont bother me. :D

I lost interest in the assassin creed series in part two. Lazy, forced convoluted plot and chore like gameplay.

I think the difference is the games. Mass Effect engendered a lot of emotional attachment to the characters and story line. Those of that got into ME so much got really attached to it and very emotionally invested in it as well. Seeing Tali kill herself in ME3 was gut wrenching as was watching Shepard grab those electrodes and then see him struggle to reach back up and grab it again giving his life was also gut wrenching. When I cheated on Liara with Traynor I felt like a scumbag!

In 3 decades of gaming I have NEVER had that much emotional investment and attachment to a game like that. So when that ending left so much to be desired it struck a nerve a lot more than for a normal game. I don't think AC had that kind of effect on its fan base as pathetic as that sounds so there isn't as much outcry.

I think the difference is the games. Mass Effect engendered a lot of emotional attachment to the characters and story line. Those of that got into ME so much got really attached to it and very emotionally invested in it as well. Seeing Tali kill herself in ME3 was gut wrenching as was watching Shepard grab those electrodes and then see him struggle to reach back up and grab it again giving his life was also gut wrenching. When I cheated on Liara with Traynor I felt like a scumbag!

In 3 decades of gaming I have NEVER had that much emotional investment and attachment to a game like that. So when that ending left so much to be desired it struck a nerve a lot more than for a normal game. I don't think AC had that kind of effect on its fan base as pathetic as that sounds so there isn't as much outcry.

Although their stories are different the emotional attachment to one game or another differs by person. For instance I loved the ME games but I never was excited for them. I was always a sucker for the AC games since there is not many if any games out there that make you feel like a tried and true assassin. AC is pretty unique and were ME is unique even Bioware has copied that formula to other games (think Dragon Age). Heck I felt more of a scumbag by my choices in Dragon Age vs ME.

Both endings are poor in my book, but in my opinion if there is an outcry about ME3's ending there should be one about AC3 or how about none at all. Ending to AC3 was terrible.

Yeah I hear ya. It'll differ person to person but that might be it. More people got way into ME and so there was a much bigger outcry over the ending where a lot fewer people got that heavy into AC. I enjoyed AC for the most part but usually just went around picking fights and never could get into the story.

Oh great, read a thread about AC3, and got ME3 spoiled. Faaan-tastic

You should have played ME3 by now but to my credit I never said anything about what happens in ME3. It is others responsibility to list spoilers in other games.

Oh great, read a thread about AC3, and got ME3 spoiled. Faaan-tastic

I'm laughing my ass off at this post cause it just struck me all kinds of funny but you're right. That's my bad. I guess I figured everybody has either played or read about ME3's ending by now especially with all the hoopla it stirred up. Sorry.

I don't know because I stopped caring about AC about 1/4 of the way through the first game, but was AC3 supposed to be the end of the story and tie up all the loose ends? ME3 was, and the fact that it was such a ham-fisted and amateurish conclusion which was clearly made up at the last minute with no regard for anything which had come before it is what disappointed a lot of people.

I expect it's just a combination of Ubi wanting to drag out AC for as long as possible, and also the tendency of some developers (eg Valve) to confuse "sophisticated and enigmatic" with "nonsensical, disjointed and shit" when it comes to story telling.

The ending of AC3 sucks? Good to know. So I can prepare myself for it once the PC version is released.

On the other hand, I dont not care even nearly as much about how the AC serie ends as I did for Mass Effect. Sure, AC2 two had a good story with decent characters and the twist at the end was fricking mindblowing! But I still do not give two shits about Desmond side of things, they are wholly secondary, almost unnecessary.
What drew me into AC serie was the world and its own takes on actual historical events, filling the gaps between facts with its own story, with a heavy dose of silly conspiracy theories of course. AC2 nailed it but even AC1, no matter how shitty game it really was and basically just a tech demo, felt awesome. Thats what I expect from AC3 too, real people with somewhat real historical events, just twisted a bit and Assassins+Templars forcefully rammed in between the gaps.

Quote of the day:

"People don't need an important issue to fight about. They'll take anything available and inflate it to the size they need" Eric Flint, The Ram Rebellion

The ending of AC3 sucks? Good to know. So I can prepare myself for it once the PC version is released.

On the other hand, I dont not care even nearly as much about how the AC serie ends as I did for Mass Effect. Sure, AC2 two had a good story with decent characters and the twist at the end was fricking mindblowing! But I still do not give two shits about Desmond side of things, they are wholly secondary, almost unnecessary.
What drew me into AC serie was the world and its own takes on actual historical events, filling the gaps between facts with its own story, with a heavy dose of silly conspiracy theories of course. AC2 nailed it but even AC1, no matter how shitty game it really was and basically just a tech demo, felt awesome. Thats what I expect from AC3 too, real people with somewhat real historical events, just twisted a bit and Assassins+Templars forcefully rammed in between the gaps.

Good luck because AC3 while has some history doesn't hit it out of the park. The Campaign is either slow or misses the most important events of the Revolutionary War. What could have been awesome fighting next to Washington or even what the trailers and commercials indicated is not there.

In the trailers you see Connor busting through entire lines of a battlefield to kill someone. Doesn't happen in this game. Game is really narrow or forces certain quicktime events to assassinate people.

The story was nailed in AC2. The game was just too easy with all the arsenal you were given. I still think a number of people care about the story in AC universe otherwise people would just play AC1 over and over.

You know what made AC games so great? The freedom to try different ways to assassinate people.

A lot less emotional investment.

Depends on the individual. Regardless of the choices I made in the game. Through 5 games of AC I have invested about the same amount of time (70ish hours) as I did in my ME games.

Depends on the individual. Regardless of the choices I made in the game. Through 5 games of AC I have invested about the same amount of time (70ish hours) as I did in my ME games.

True it's all personal, but I will ask, despite the same amount of time playing the game, did you have the same emotional attachment to the lead and supporting characters?

show me a game that is actually literature and I will care

this shit? sorry

True it's all personal, but I will ask, despite the same amount of time playing the game, did you have the same emotional attachment to the lead and supporting characters?

Lead yes, supporting no. But you have different characters in the series on the AC side. So while I hated Connor I wanted to see the end of Ezio's story and the end of Desmond's.

Couldn't get into either of the follow ups to AC2, so I probably won't play this. Plus from what I've read, I won't like where the story has been heading for the past couple of games anyway. So, much like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed will end on the second installment for me.

Back