How is the new power mac?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Thinking about getting one but have some questions.

How quiet are they?

How is the quad 2.66 compare to my old dual 2.5 g5?

How are the new intel cpu's compared to the older g5's for video encoding?

IceDigger said:
Thinking about getting one but have some questions.

How quiet are they?

How is the quad 2.66 compare to my old dual 2.5 g5?

How are the new intel cpu's compared to the older g5's for video encoding?

Quieter.
Faster by far.
See second answer.

more room for expansion.

the only drawback is the FBDIMMs, and possibly the fact that you'll have to stick with Apple RAM(this is very debatable).

"power mac" is dead. It's "Mac Pro" now. :D

As far as being faster by far, that's a little debatable. Universal binary apps will be a lot faster. Photoshop/Illustrator will be about the same until CS3 comes out.

BigBadBiologist said:
"power mac" is dead. It's "Mac Pro" now. :D

As far as being faster by far, that's a little debatable. Universal binary apps will be a lot faster. Photoshop/Illustrator will be about the same until CS3 comes out.

And unless you make six figures a year, or your company is buying the machine, you don't buy such a computer for one year.

NulloModo said:
And unless you make six figures a year, or your company is buying the machine, you don't buy such a computer for one year.

What? What does this have to do about 1 year at all?

I think he's implying that the machine is too expensive for regular people to buy without waiting for a while.

I love my MacPro! It's rediculously fast, has more than enough processor power for all my tasks. I've owned two iMac's before this, and I thought they were quick until I used my MacPro. I have the Quad 2.66, I've added 2 Gigs of memory from Crucial.com and upgraded it to the X1900 XT video card. I've also added 3 500 Gig Western Digital HD's. The thing is VERY quiet while running. In a silent room, you can barely hear the fans inside. It modulates the speed based on usage.

IceDigger said:
NulloModo, wtf are you talking about?
He means that the fact that Photoshop doesn't run faster on it now, it will run much faster well before the machine is replaced by something else.

Back