How is the IP35 Pro onboard audio?

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I'm upgrading my computer a bit with a new Q6600 GO, IP35 PRO, and 4 GB G.Skill memory. I currently use the onboard sound of my MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. I mainly play Eve Online and BF2. I can't choose "Hardware" mode in Eve and if I choose "Hardware" mode in BF2 it messed up all the voices. "Enemy Spotted" etc... are then repeated mutliple times making it really annoying. Will I be able to run in "Hardware" mode with the IP35 PRO, or should I buy an X-FI card?

It should be better than the MSI's ALC850 but as I don't play those games i can't answer the question fully.
I would try it & see - you can always buy the soundcard if you have to.

The Neo4 Plat used the Creative Audigy chip didn't it (at least the SLI version did)? Personally, I'd get an X-Fi if you're really into hardware sound in games. You're not going to be able to do anything with EAX without a decent audio card.

I have that set up, I use the digital optical out and it works fine for bf2142. Haven't tried it for bf2.

First of all, if the sound on the Abit IP35-E is the same as the Pro version, you do NOT need to buy a separate sound card, this onboard sound is really good, I play World In Conflict, Half-Life 2, CS:Source, C&C Generals, Doom3 and it sounds perfectly fine. I also used Windows Vista64, which means NO EAX and no Direct3D support, just a heads up. Vista is going to force sound manufactuerers to produce better sound cards for the upcoming generation.

Actually, I like it a lot. Initially I was using an X-Fi Xtreme Music, trying to save CPU cycles. But I did a comparison and noticed that the Creative drivers seemed to utilize the CPU as much as the Realtek drivers were. Since I use Vista64, the only feature differences that might be attractive aren't yet supported in Creative's Vista driver, I only use a 2.1 setup anyway, and I like the cleaner inside of the case without an unnecessary card. As a plus, unlike Creative, Realtek is very diligent keeping up with fresh driver releases. So, I've been using the onboard sound and have been quite happy with it.

As a plus, unlike Creative, Realtek is very diligent keeping up with fresh driver releases. So, I've been using the onboard sound and have been quite happy with it.

Maybe a little TOO diligent - they just put up another one on the 26th (1.78). I believe that's the fourth new driver in about a month! :)

Back