How is the Cisco RV series now?

Nimisys

Fully [H]
I know the older Cisco RV series and Cisco branded Linksys stuff had a crap reputation, but how are the newer offerings? Specifically the RV130 or RV320. Looking for router for a very small business, 3-4 clients, a small NAS, Printer and maybe 2 APs. I would be the on-site IT guy, and the boss much prefers to be paying me to work on the cars and not the IT environment, so reliability is the greatest concern. Might make use of the VPN one day, but even that is unlikely. Security concerns aren't too large, our database contains names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail only. no CC or SS#'s are stored. only item that might be of unique value in a breach is the relationship of a VIN to Customer name/address, but I honestly don't know how sought out that sort of information would be. when dealing with double/triple digit production volumes, the current owners tend to already be known.

second question: how decent/worthwhile is CIsco's Web Filtering on these? it carries a 90$ premium, is it worthwhile at that price point, or basically worthless?

I know the older Cisco RV series and Cisco branded Linksys stuff had a crap reputation, but how are the newer offerings? Specifically the RV130 or RV320. Looking for router for a very small business, 3-4 clients, a small NAS, Printer and maybe 2 APs. I would be the on-site IT guy, and the boss much prefers to be paying me to work on the cars and not the IT environment, so reliability is the greatest concern. Might make use of the VPN one day, but even that is unlikely. Security concerns aren't too large, our database contains names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail only. no CC or SS#'s are stored. only item that might be of unique value in a breach is the relationship of a VIN to Customer name/address, but I honestly don't know how sought out that sort of information would be. when dealing with double/triple digit production volumes, the current owners tend to already be known.

second question: how decent/worthwhile is CIsco's Web Filtering on these? it carries a 90$ premium, is it worthwhile at that price point, or basically worthless?

As a long time Linksys/Cisco "Small Business Series" fan..years ago we deployed tons of the RV series. Many of the original RV042, RV082, and RV016 units. When the later RV models came out though..."meh"...slow web admin, painfully long reboots. When LInksys/Cisco split again, and Linksys came out with the "LRT" series...we used a few of those, and we still occasionally use them for "el cheapo" setups for small SMBs. But we really try to focus on UTMs for businesses (Untangle). What I have been using more and more of lately, when just a plain NAT router is required, on budget...the Ubiquiti EdgeRouters. Brutally fast, low latency, wicked stable.

Back