How is the 8.1 ATi driver working for you?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
???? Anyone have any issues with these? Is there a performance gain with the 3870's?

holy smeg, i didn't even know they were available. hopefully they'll reverse the abysmal 3870cf performance i got after the crysis patch.

preliminary results indicate that 8.1 is doing better than 7.12. no blue text for me. both stalker and call of juarez no longer suffer from the flashing screen i was getting with the old drivers. crysis 1.1 is more playable but i'm still not entirely pleased with the high/low swinging framerate. is it me or does the 1.1 patch seem to increase the amount of motion blur the game uses. still need to test if fear stutters when moving around in zoomed view.
cod4 and gow on the docket.

Improved my 3DMark06 score by ~200, and the 'new' OverDrive control panel is much better.

still have problems with links colors in opera (absurd, since the same bug was present in 7.12 drivers and many many people report it in new drivers aswell)

there appears to be a white square above my computer icon on desktop (it can be removed by disabling CCC in tray)

performance in every game is the same (in crysis its worse then it was)

the last good driver ati made was 7.11

I loaded up the Hotfix, and I am dissapointed. I tested Crysis and the FPS were about the same as before, a single 3850 performs nearly the same as Crossfire. Crossfire had a higher peak fps... they both averaged out to be about 30fps with the config I am running @ 1280x720. DX10 performed the same as DX9 except for a few low spots, but averaged out to 30fps. I'm glad to see Crysis working so well on a single card, but I have lost all benefit from my crossfire setup. With 7.11 Hotfix and Crysis 1.0 single card was around 24fps and Crossfire was around 30fps. So no performance loss but no benefit from crossfire.:rolleyes:

The drivers are awesome while gaming, but I do have a strange white dot up in the top left hand corner of my screen now.

I loaded up the Hotfix, and I am dissapointed. I tested Crysis and the FPS were about the same as before, a single 3850 performs nearly the same as Crossfire. Crossfire had a higher peak fps... they both averaged out to be about 30fps with the config I am running @ 1280x720. DX10 performed the same as DX9 except for a few low spots, but averaged out to 30fps. I'm glad to see Crysis working so well on a single card, but I have lost all benefit from my crossfire setup. With 7.11 Hotfix and Crysis 1.0 single card was around 24fps and Crossfire was around 30fps. So no performance loss but no benefit from crossfire.:rolleyes:

The hotfix isnt meant for the HD3000 series, just use the offical 8.1 with the HD3850

Catalyst 8.1 Hotfix

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
Radeon™ HD2900 series
Radeon™ HD2600 series
Radeon™ HD2400 series

Radeon™ X1950 series
Radeon™ X1900 series
Radeon™ X1800 series
Radeon™ X1650 series
Radeon™ X1600 series
Radeon™ X1550 series
Radeon™ X1300 series
Radeon™ X1050 series
Radeon™ X850 series
Radeon™ X800 series
Radeon™ X700 series
Radeon™ X600 series
Radeon™ X550 series
Radeon™ X300 series
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
Windows Vista 64-bit Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
This hotfix resolves the following issues:

Fix for problems with DirectX and Radeon AGP Graphics cards.
Crysis: DirectX 10 Performance optimizations using Crossfire

The hotfix isnt meant for the HD3000 series, just use the offical 8.1 with the HD3850

Catalyst 8.1 Hotfix

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
Radeon™ HD2900 series
Radeon™ HD2600 series
Radeon™ HD2400 series

Radeon™ X1950 series
Radeon™ X1900 series
Radeon™ X1800 series
Radeon™ X1650 series
Radeon™ X1600 series
Radeon™ X1550 series
Radeon™ X1300 series
Radeon™ X1050 series
Radeon™ X850 series
Radeon™ X800 series
Radeon™ X700 series
Radeon™ X600 series
Radeon™ X550 series
Radeon™ X300 series
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
Windows Vista 64-bit Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
This hotfix resolves the following issues:

Fix for problems with DirectX and Radeon AGP Graphics cards.
Crysis: DirectX 10 Performance optimizations using Crossfire

What the hell?? I just installed the 8.1 drivers for Vista last night and already there's a hotfix available?? So should I install these and get rid of the original 8.1's or just stick with the 8.1's? Which one is newer? :confused:

The hotfix is for AGP videocards and Crossfire configurations. If you're not using either of these configurations, don't install the hotfix.

Yet the link is in the HD3850 Knowledge base...

Knowledge Base
AMD Customer Care Site Map > Radeon Support - PC > Radeon HD 3850 > Knowledge base > Gaming >

Gaming
1. 737-30533: Crysis: Radeon™ series: Graphic corruption occurs during gameplay

2. 737-30852: Colin McRae: Dirt: The game crashes to the desktop with an error messages stating that DIRT.exe has an unexpected error.

3. 737-31573: Lightsmark 2007: Radeon™ HD3850 series: Running the benchmark results in the robot character not being drawn properly

4. Catalyst 8.1 Hotfix

I think it just didn't install properly... I'll try to reinstall...and let you know.

The hotfix is for AGP videocards and Crossfire configurations. If you're not using either of these configurations, don't install the hotfix.

Lol! Wow, reading ftw! :p My bad, I totally missed that line where it detailed what it was for. :D

In any case, these new drivers seemed to have ironed out my stuttering problems in Counter Strike: Source and especially Crysis (though, no real performance increase), in Vista. Prior to this I was using Catalyst 7.11 as 7.12 gave me some weird problems with CCC. So far, I have not encountered any problems whatsoever, although I am using an older card: the X1950XT. I will try out other games soon, but at this point, 8.1 looks to be a winner in my book. :cool:

Anyone out there use Rhapsody software? There was a known issue with it not working with 7.11 and 7.12 I was hoping would be fixed in 8.1.

My TF2 framerates seem to have gone up somewhat. On an empty map I'm seeing it go over 200fps far more often than before. (1680x1050, max settings). Haven't actually played an actual game with them yet. Just installed them late last night.

What is new about the overdrive panel? Looks to be the same for me:confused:

You're absolutely right.

Heh, was using Omega 7.12's before, so it defaulted to the old version for some reason.

i'm most interested in seeing if this driver fixes the green screen problem in vista media center when watching OTA atsc channels i had with the onboard x1250 chipset. the release notes did not mention it in the issues resolved, but they also did not list it in the known issues, as they did with the 7.11 and 7.12 drivers. i get to find out this weekend, i'll report back.

I keep QuakeIII arena installed and that is the first test,these work nice and smooth,later for the Hellgate test

arigato , i didnt know they were out thanks ill try them out hopefully no blue screen stuff.

Since im on 7.10's still.

Just installed them.

I had all 3 monitors running. Enabled Crossfire and expected two monitors to turn off. But the two monitors on my primary card stayed running. Wasn't expecting that. ;)

Just installed them.

I had all 3 monitors running. Enabled Crossfire and expected two monitors to turn off. But the two monitors on my primary card stayed running. Wasn't expecting that. ;)

I haven't heard of this working anywhere else.. Are you sure it's running Crossfire?

i have 1 problem with the 8.1's when i click "Enable system tray menu" off theres a tiny white square in the upper left corner that disappears on my desktop and the ati logo in the system tray leaves normally.

And then when i click "Re-enable system tray menu" back, the ati logo in the system tray appears regular its just the tiny white square appears with it in the upper left corner again.

:confused:

24002741cd4.jpg

Heres an example i made:
56703431gs6.gif

the white square is in the upper left corner of my desktop its not in the wallpaper either. And then when i unmark the enable system tray menu > under preferences = that .gif is the outcome. The ati logo leaves normally its just the white square in the corner that leaves and come back with it it doesnt blink btw its just me making that point.

I haven't heard of this working anywhere else.. Are you sure it's running Crossfire?

CCC and GPU-Z confirms I am running Crossfire. And two monitors are working.

I started up BF2142 and CCC showed GPU activity on both vid cards.

i have 1 problem with the 8.1's when i click "Enable system tray menu" off theres a tiny white square in the upper left corner that disappears on my desktop and the ati logo in the system tray leaves normally.

I didn't notice that till you said something. I have it too.

I thought I could get some kind of help from these new Catalyst 8.1's to my occasional graphics errors in Crysis and all, but it seems I was seriously wrong. When tried that game, the screen immediately artifacted strangely in the beginning videos (pixellated picture, blocks and all), and they were extremely sluggish too, so didn't even want to go into the game itself. Went back to Catalyst 7.12's and the videos etc. work fine... ATI must've changed something in these new drivers to cause weirdness to my system. :rolleyes:

Well after 2 hrs of trying to go back to the original 8.1, I gave up. I removed all drivers and reinstalled the Hotfix again. same senerio, Crossfire makes no difference in Crysis and it may be a bit slower, but Crossfire seems to work for most other things.

Well after 2 hrs of trying to go back to the original 8.1, I gave up. I removed all drivers and reinstalled the Hotfix again. same senerio, Crossfire makes no difference in Crysis and it may be a bit slower, but Crossfire seems to work for most other things.

Had the same problem and a reflash of the bios did the trick .It was on a X38 board. Even though the little crossfire box is checked it ain't always so. Futuremark will tell you for sure.

Have a couple of questions
Will this new driver support CrossfireX (3 or 4 cards) ?
What would be the arrangement of the bridges be ( if any are needed) say for 3 cards ?

Had the same problem and a reflash of the bios did the trick .It was on a X38 board. Even though the little crossfire box is checked it ain't always so. Futuremark will tell you for sure.

I'll give the bios updagte a try. I'm a few behind on my P5E.
It looks like it will recognize more than 2 cards in Crossfire.

I also just verified it with 3DMark06. Got over 18k score.

I was watching CCC, task manager and GPU-Z running on the second montor.

Now to try Supreme Commander with Crossfire, dual-screens. ;)

Thats about right on Fmark
Just tried a 3rd card on a X38 DFI
CCC sees it but does not recognize it in the overdrive screen.
Decided to stop because it looks like it RACES the third card and the temps on the back of the card climb very fast :eek:compared to the top 2 cards when trying to run a benchmark.
Oh well - had to give it a shot:)

8.1 cut my FPS in CSS by half?!
very strange....
I'm going to try to reinstall 7.12 and see if they go back
3850 @ 1004Mhz/725Mhz
Use to get around 100fps consistent, and now I've dropped to around 55??

Nobody has mentioned the AGP situation yet - AMD/ATi told me that 8.1 was supposed to resolve some issues for the HD2600/2400 AGP cards?

I'm getting BSOD's occasionally when activating profiles. I can't reproduce it on demand, but once in a while I'll be getting ready to fire up a game, and I activate the profile I created for it and a BSOD ensues.

Back