How is the 32" Q50R QLED?

It seems that typical Samsung panels, when you adjust them for correct colors using sRGB, are about 2200:1 contrast. Most reviews put them closer to their stated 3000:1 spec but I'm wondering if that's when the monitors are at full-tilt wide gamut color mode...?

EDIT: I'm talking their computer monitors. Their VA televisions have higher native on/off contrast for some reason...

Oh ya the CR on this 32" TV is way better than that. I wouldn't be surprised if the measurement came out at 4000:1 or higher. This is my new web browsing monitor as the semi-gloss 4K 32" with good contrast and colors works well for it.

That’s interesting. I haven’t heard much about Nano IPS on here. I had somewhat assumed that it was more or less a marketing term by LG. But if it has actual improvement, and significant improvement at that, I think I’ll be doing more research and digging into it.

Haven't seen anything useful on it -- there was the noise made about the '1ms IPS' panels, but they turned out to just be overcooked versions of what we already have, and not in a good way.

Oh ya the CR on this 32" TV is way better than that. I wouldn't be surprised if the measurement came out at 4000:1 or higher. This is my new web browsing monitor as the semi-gloss 4K 32" with good contrast and colors works well for it.

Was thinking about getting this as a monitor for coding until I saw that it has PWM below max brightness. Seriously Samsung?

Haven't seen anything useful on it -- there was the noise made about the '1ms IPS' panels, but they turned out to just be overcooked versions of what we already have, and not in a good way.

Like I said in another thread, I think that LCD is pretty much done for. The only thing I can see them improving upon is the native contrast, and that's with those dual-panel displays. But right now the dual-panel displays are too slow for anything beyond professional work. If they improve the panel transition speed and implement a rolling image update (ala Sony BVM OLEDS) then they'll drastically improve the contrast ratio, nix the motion clarity deficiencies of LCD, and finally have a worthy successor to CRT.

While the layered panels look interesting in that they can increase local contrast by an order of magnitude, and aside from cost, power usage and heat output look difficult to control.

Assuming that response times can be brought in line with what we're seeing with modern IPS -- let's assume that the back TFT used for per-pixel dimming is faster, perhaps TN based -- it'd be nice if they concurrently figured out the integration of strobing with VRR, while keeping color and luminosity stable.

It wouldn't reach OLED levels of contrast, but brightness will still be able to be brought up higher, and let's call it 'usable' dynamic range might be expanded.

Was thinking about getting this as a monitor for coding until I saw that it has PWM below max brightness. Seriously Samsung?
Its very difficult to keep colour accuracy throughout the brightness range using analogue voltage.
The brightness ratio of the LEDs R G B output changes at different voltages which is why they use only one voltage and pulse it on/off, the result is predictable and needs little processing.

If colour accuracy didnt need to be so good it would be much simpler to leave brightness control as analogue.
I would give the PWM brightness control a try before dismissing it because I cant notice it at all on my Q9FN TV.

Last edited:
My eyes haven't been hurting, so I'd imagine the PMW frequency may be on the higher side which is good news. During the day it's on 100% brightness with no PWM too.

Last edited:
If 4000:1 is accurate, this may just have to be my new daily driver. The price is also so reasonable that I could just upgrade again in a year or two if something interesting happens, like a resurgence for OLED on desktop monitors. Or maybe 40-43 inch OLED TVs.

EDIT: Another option on my radar is Samsung’s own 40” Serif TV. It’s shape is pretty much perfect for my desk, and I think 40” should be a bit more manageable than 43”.

Last edited:
Rtings published a video a couple of days ago that briefly covers the Q50R:

What caught my eye is they list it as supporting VRR. Was this just a mistake on their part?

Ah, let's see how far off my eyeballs were:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/early-access/q50r

I was a bit off on the max brightness (it's 314 nits), probably thought it was a tad brighter because the screen is larger than the monitor I was comparing it to.

Was dead on with the 4000+ contrast ratio (it's 5428:1). This IMO is the TV's best feature and why it looks so good.

Black uniformity isn't that great like I said.

Color gamut score pretty well.

I think they should have given it higher marks for the semi-gloss AR film which is the best in the business.

240 Hz PWM which may trouble some people.

I'm surprised those response time numbers garnered an "8.4", I definitely wouldn't rate it that high.

Says variable refresh rate "none". My RTX Titan does not detect VRR. (Although HDMI VRR is still driver pending for NVIDIA IMO).

The input lag is pretty low like I stated.

Basically the same as my original thoughts.

Long story short. Do not buy this monitor for anything but browsing the web. I got it at 10:00 AM and had it boxed back up by 1:00 PM. https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.3c70a01959763dc4d11e8b5a7332ea6c&pid=Api&rurl=https://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IOBxiPqu0nmodW/giphy.gif&ehk=MLRziWmGOPVW06f/WKFfeQ
Not trying to be a smartass, just genuinely curious because for a lot of people on [H] it's the same thing: do you really mean "anything but browsing the web," or did you actually mean "it sucks for gaming and is fine for everything else?"

Regardless, more thoughts would be very appreciated when you have some spare time! :p

Not trying to be a smartass, just genuinely curious because for a lot of people on [H] it's the same thing: do you really mean "anything but browsing the web," or did you actually mean "it sucks for gaming and is fine for everything else?"

Regardless, more thoughts would be very appreciated when you have some spare time! :p
I would be surprised if this thing reached 150 nits. Local dimming on this set is horrendous. Blacks are grey and so on and so on. Very low budget TV with a $545 price tag. Unbelievable

I would be surprised if this thing reached 150 nits. Local dimming on this set is horrendous. Blacks are grey and so on and so on. Very low budget TV with a $545 price tag. Unbelievable
Yikes! That sounds entirely horrible, and quite different from what Vega reported earlier. Is it possible that maybe you got a faulty unit?

It is. Not a gaming display IMO. But then again no 60 Hz display is.

Not 150 nits:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q50-q50r-qled

314 nits. The TV doesn't even have local dimming.

The display has its place. You aren't going to find a 32" 4K monitor anywhere near this level of high contrast and colors, low input lag and all with a great semi-gloss AR film. Especially for only $448.

https://smile.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-QN32Q50RAFXZA-32Q50-Smart-TV2019/dp/B07W5QYD2K/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=samsung+32"+4k+tv&qid=1570172707&sr=8-2
My take on this is for the peeps that come here specifically. To me this TV looks like crap while gaming. The price does not justify the means. But to each his own.

Looks like there’s a premium for the unique 32” size. It scores neck to neck (per Rtings.com) with Samsung’s budget 4K model which is the RU7100 that my son currently uses as his display. That’s only $330 though for the starting 43” size.

My take on this is for the peeps that come here specifically. To me this TV looks like crap while gaming. The price does not justify the means. But to each his own.

Who here said it was good for gaming?

I've been using this TV/Monitor for about a month now and it's by far the best 32" 4k option out there right now. Having used about every 32" 4k around this is miles above all else until the (32" 4k Asus 120hz is available and or 2k or less).

IMG_8875.jpg

Yes it's a VA. But this is not a shit "monitor VA" this is a real VA like your typical Samsung TV. Glossy, deep deep deep blacks(near FALD level) , and low input lag make this my monitor of choice for a while. And yes even gaming is fantastic on this. Don't notice smearing or blur much if not at all (Depending on the game)

Plus you can find this online for around $350-400 which is better than any other real monitor in that price range.

Reactions: Panel
like this
Martha Stewart Vega

I’ve recently talked a family member into getting this monitor, as it seemed that it would suite their needs quite well. The only problem is that I don’t know much about configuring TVs for monitor usage, as this is the first TV I’ve attempted to do that with.

We set scaling to 150% (most comfortable to their eyes) and set up ClearType too. We adjusted the refresh rate to 30Hz and turned on Game Mode on the TV.

Those are the two issues I wanted to ask for help on: 30Hz max and which TV settings to alter. I’m assuming that the age of this decade old HDMI cable is the problem and we just need to get a new one to fix the 30Hz, but that still leaves me dumbfounded on what I need to adjust on the TV side. Is there anything else, and if so, where could I find it? I wanna make sure we’re getting 4:4:4 of course.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I think their work laptop doesn’t support HDMI 2.0 on its HDMI port. I’ll try to see some workarounds.

Last edited:
Martha Stewart Vega

I’ve recently talked a family member into getting this monitor, as it seemed that it would suite their needs quite well. The only problem is that I don’t know much about configuring TVs for monitor usage, as this is the first TV I’ve attempted to do that with.

We set scaling to 150% (most comfortable to their eyes) and set up ClearType too. We adjusted the refresh rate to 30Hz and turned on Game Mode on the TV.

Those are the two issues I wanted to ask for help on: 30Hz max and which TV settings to alter. I’m assuming that the age of this decade old HDMI cable is the problem and we just need to get a new one to fix the 30Hz, but that still leaves me dumbfounded on what I need to adjust on the TV side. Is there anything else, and if so, where could I find it? I wanna make sure we’re getting 4:4:4 of course.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I think their work laptop doesn’t support HDMI 2.0 on its HDMI port. I’ll try to see some workarounds.

you need to go into the TV's settings and change the HDMI input to "enhanced" this will give you 4:4:4 at 60hz

Ah, let's see how far off my eyeballs were:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/early-access/q50r

I was a bit off on the max brightness (it's 314 nits), probably thought it was a tad brighter because the screen is larger than the monitor I was comparing it to.

Was dead on with the 4000+ contrast ratio (it's 5428:1). This IMO is the TV's best feature and why it looks so good.

Black uniformity isn't that great like I said.

Color gamut score pretty well.

I think they should have given it higher marks for the semi-gloss AR film which is the best in the business.

240 Hz PWM which may trouble some people.

I'm surprised those response time numbers garnered an "8.4", I definitely wouldn't rate it that high.

Says variable refresh rate "none". My RTX Titan does not detect VRR. (Although HDMI VRR is still driver pending for NVIDIA IMO).

The input lag is pretty low like I stated.

Basically the same as my original thoughts.

I've been using this TV/Monitor for about a month now and it's by far the best 32" 4k option out there right now. Having used about every 32" 4k around this is miles above all else until the (32" 4k Asus 120hz is available and or 2k or less).

View attachment 236428

Yes it's a VA. But this is not a shit "monitor VA" this is a real VA like your typical Samsung TV. Glossy, deep deep deep blacks(near FALD level) , and low input lag make this my monitor of choice for a while. And yes even gaming is fantastic on this. Don't notice smearing or blur much if not at all (Depending on the game)

Plus you can find this online for around $350-400 which is better than any other real monitor in that price range.

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind checking in after using this panel for some time?

I'm looking for a monitor to go over my LG 38 to serve primarily as an accessory monitor, but to also work as the main display for my Nvidia Shield - maybe for playing some console games. Nothing that really needs over 60Hz
(watching TV/Movies on the LG - it will only accept 1080P and scales it up to 1600P and is pretty mediocre for watching video...)

This seems like the best 32" out there, but I think there are some 32s with Picture by Picture which is the only feature I see this as really missing but I have an HDMI matrix switch so I could live with out it.

Back