How is it that apps in my start menu do NOT appear in Settings > Apps? (Win10)

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a new laptop, and I'm doing the standard exercise of removing MS pre-installed garbage. I'm curious... How is it possible that there's stuff in my start menu like "Fitbit Coach" and the infamous Candycrush, which, when I right-click on it, has the option to uninstall, but the app does not show up in the Apps list? Like, if this app is installed on my system, shouldn't it show up in a comprehensive list of all the apps on my system?? Back in Windows 7 and below, anything ever installed on your computer (unless it's a virus/malware) showed up in the Programs list in Control Panel. When you go to Settings > Apps, the list under Apps and Features is analogous to that, isn't it? So then how is it that these apps living in my PC are not listed there?

This looks to me like some kind of shady ****

they were integrated into the install maybe so they weren't technically installed after windows was installed, maybe.

Go to the Programs and Features link on the right, it brings up the old Add/Remove programs control panel that should show everything. (Or go to the Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Programs and Features)

Go to the Programs and Features link on the right, it brings up the old Add/Remove programs control panel that should show everything. (Or go to the Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Programs and Features)

It definitely doesn't show up in there, either. I'm pretty sure that none of the new-style "Store" apps go into the Programs and Features -- it's reserved for "Desktop" applications.

It definitely doesn't show up in there, either. I'm pretty sure that none of the new-style "Store" apps go into the Programs and Features -- it's reserved for "Desktop" applications.

Because they are not actually installed. They are just place keepers that if you were to run them, they would then install.

Back