how important is an 8mb buffer for a dvd burner?

tristan792

Limp Gawd
im thinking of upgrading from the sony dru-510a to the 530a. the 530 buffer is only 2mb while the 510 is 8. how much performance will i lose from the drop. or should i wait for an 8x burner with an 8mb buffer?

I don't know the benifits of a larger buffer on todays machines but I am anal about having the larger buffer. Makes me feel better for some reason.

As for 8x burner? Unless 15 minutes(that is the longest it has taken me on my 4x)is too long of a wait, then get a 8x. But I would wait since the prices are droping like crazy latley. Also, Plextor said that they are soon to release a 12x burner. So prices would drop even more.

Good time to be alive:D In a non-third world country that is.:D

The buffer is good if you have a slower computer that hangs occasionally. But if it has buffer underrun protection (I'm assuming the Sony would) then you'll be protected anyways. So there really shouldn't be a big performance difference. Have you been burning alot of coasters or something?

You should be fine, however, if your pc sucks, then you should opt for 8mb.

Yes, prices are dropping on the drives, but where the hell can you obtain 8x, or even 12x media??

I would wait regardless of the speed.
When dual layer burners hit the market, prices are going to start really dropping.

you make good points. i just kinda wanted it cause i could have it i guess...ill probably just throw the money somewhere else now. thanks all.

Back