How "idle" does a system have to be for SSD garbage collection to work?

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
Say I have a C: drive that is an SSD, but a D: drive that is not.

I've installed Folding @ Home on my C: drive, with the data files for it (the things that are constantly read/written...working area, logs, etc) are configured to be on the D: drive.

Assuming I've locked the Windows desktop for the night, and am doing nothing else myself, but the CPUs are running at 100% Folding...with garbage collection run? There is no activity on the root drive, after all...although the system is heavily utilized.

Or does sitting at the 'switch user' login screen not, in any situation, allow GC to trigger...you have to completely log off?

All SSDs have somekinda GC but I have never seen anything specific to it's working parameters.

All mangfs have different GC schemes and some claim that the drives don't have to be idle (OCZ) but I've read this info is pretty closely guarded.

Let it do its thing. No need to consciously worry about that.

Well, that's the question. Do I need to shut down Folding (using 100% of my CPUs) and 'log off' for the night for it to "do its thing". Or will it do that just along the way, regardless of whatever else is going on...

I dont think the SSD firmware can detect your cpu usage. GC "idleness" is how quite the disk is.

I think the disk just needs to be idle. You can always leave it in BIOS once a week.

Back