johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
system in profile

max fsb:
-lower the cpu multi to 7
-lower ldt multi to 3
-lower memory speed from 400mhz ddr to 200
-increase fsb by 5 mhz increments
-run orthos-test cpu (i like orthos better than prime 95 :) ) for 2 minutes every increment once i reach 230mhz or so
-once unstable, back down 5%

max cpu:
-max cpu multi
-ldt to 3
-memory to 200
-start at fsb 200 and raise frequency in 5mhz increments up to the fsb max, or until i fail to boot into windows or post
-same orthos testing process-test cpu
-once first unstable frequency is found, back down 5%
-try bumping the voltage by the smallest increment. if i find very small overclocks, i'll keep voltage stock.

max memory (here is where it gets tricky for me):
-start with 1t
-ldt to 3
-cpu multi to 7
-raise fsb up to max or until i fail to boot into windows or post
-test with orthos-test memory
-find first unstable frequency, back down 5%

-do the same process over with 2t and try to find a worthwhile result
(should i try bumping voltage to 2.7 or 2.8? is this save with my mushkin value memory with no fan blowing on it?)

i'll figure out what to do with the results once i get them!

anything i should change in my process?

What stepping is it, We should be able to give you a ballpark on where the limit of the chip will be.

lcbqe. seems people have been hitting 2.7. some people with the lcb8e (a week later) were going up to 3.0.

i miss my opty's :). only advice i can have:

-don't bother with 2T, the performance hit isn't worth the oc.
-don't mess with voltage on value RAM, you'll likely kill it.
-use memtest on the RAM, it will help you find your oc more quickly on the RAM
-if you can't get the RAM to do much, try swapping their places, i've seen it make a difference.
-i prefer prime95 :), but that's not really advice just opinion.

computer shutdown when fsb reached 310! i'm pretty sure this was due to temps(even though i was watching them closely...but i don't have a northbridge temp sensor), not a mobo limit. no errors in either instance of prime.

before i finalize this oc, i'll stick a SECOND fan on the heatsink.

cpu is next

prime gave errors when cpu reached 2997!!! i'll back down to 2900 and hope it passes prime for 30 minutes.

wade - I have a pair of Corsair Value Select DDR400 that runs at DDR566 at CAS-3 T1 on 2.85v. It has been like this for about 6 months now. Before I went from my 3700+ to my Opty 175, I only had it at like DDR 480 or so for about a year.

Of course I have plenty of air circulation through my case. It doesn't get warm at all.

without increasing voltage anywhere:

opteron 170: 2.9

ram: 226

:)

my mobo doesn't have ram dividers in the bios. instead, i can change speeds (same thing) to ddr 200, 266, 333, and 400. 400 is stock, obviously. 400 is 1:1, 200 is 1:2, what are the other dividers?

Back