How hot is your Threadripper?

HighYield

Gawd
Setup a 1950X last night. I didn't have any trouble installing win 8.1 on a 960 pro NVMe drive with the MSI carbon X399 board. In another thread it seemed like it might be an issue depending on what build Win 10 was being installed...no issues upgrading to Win 10. Will do a fresh install once I am done testing.

1950X @3.8GHz Vcore 1.16v, SOC 1.208
Corsair H115i cooler with arctic MX-4 paste (applied thin over whole surface with a small blob in the middle)
Replaced the stock H115i fans with with Corsair ML140 Pro fans (fans @90% -1740-1800 rpm)
MSI carbon X399 mobo 1.3 bios
Corsair 64 gig (16x4) @2930 MHz...guess you don't get 3000
Corsair 750D airflow case

This is just slapped together with the multiplier set to 38 and a slight bump up on the voltage. Will have to read up on AMD and MSI bios settings to push more. At 100% in the blended Aida 64 test (CPU,FPU,cache,memory) seems like the temp is very stable no spikes sitting around 58C (CPU package ~185 watts). However prime 95 (v26.6b3) seems to be able to push even harder to get a CPU package ~244 watts. At this level the temps settled out around 70C upping the H115i pumps from the ~1800rpm to 2900 rpm only got me about 2C reduction to 68C so likely hitting the limit of what that little cooler can do. Even as is, 3.8GHZ on all cores at 68C isn't bad at all....sure hope aida 64 is telling me the right temps.

upload_2017-8-19_16-26-39.png

I have et a ThermalTake Water 3.0 2x120 CPU cooler AIO (Temporary of course)
and
I was hitting 70-80c on Prime 95 small FFT max heat profile.

Tonight I am maxing at 65c and no more. Why? I lapped my Asetek heatplate. Thats right. Take a razor blade to it like Kyle shown in his video. If the blade doesn't fall flat on the block in any angle the block needs lapping. I went ahead and sanded it down and coarse and finished it with 1200 grit and cleaned it real well. Now it is 10-15c cooler on average under load. Now I am not afraid to load the shit out of this chip and let it do what it's designed to do.

It can only get better once I get a full cover water block in the loop.

Nice. I was wondering why my setup seemed so much "cooler". Guess I got lucky and Corsair had a flat cold plate out of the box. As you start overclocking, post your settings. I hit the wall trying to get past 3.8 GHz, but that is me not familiar with MSI/AMD bios settings and not wanting to push the voltage too much until we see some more reports. I'm too use to Asus/Intel. Seems like I am overclocking in another language.

Nice. I was wondering why my setup seemed so much "cooler". Guess I got lucky and Corsair had a flat cold plate out of the box. As you start overclocking, post your settings. I hit the wall trying to get past 3.8 GHz, but that is me not familiar with MSI/AMD bios settings and not wanting to push the voltage too much until we see some more reports. I'm too use to Asus/Intel. Seems like I am overclocking in another language.

I am not going to overclock until I get a full waterblock in my custom loop. Even then I probably won't overclock. The chip is so powerful on multithread I will not gain much benefit out of it vs. the power and heat it will produce.

I have a corsair h110 older one on mine its pretty flat already and I think I'm sitting around 68c now. lower 60s. not over clocked. its just a temp till the full plates come out. The H110 was not on the approved list but the adapter fit...

Back