How have I never seen this thing!!?? Combo pump/universal block?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been trying to figure out a way to quiet down my XFX Vega 56, which has a Nano PCB and there is nothing available for it. I decided to try and find a universal block that had Vega mounting holes instead of trying to mod an intel asetek bracket, so I found one on perf PC's that listed Vega compatibility and bought it.

Only... this isn't a universal block. Its a universal block WITH PUMP inside. What the hell? I never knew such a thing existed, I glanced at the picture and saw a wire pigtail and assumed it was for an LED. Supposedly it can powerr a small loop by itself so I'd guess its about as powerful as a DC-LT.

Has anyone used one of these? I'm going to use it in its own loop with a spare 360 radiator and see how it does I guess, I just thought it was very cool. I may end up having to revive my plans for my phanteks mini ITX build now.In my mind thois opens up a lot of options for a small build since you won't have to stuff a pump somewhere.

Anyways, I took the cold plate off to take a look and see what was in there, so I figured I'd share because I haven't been able to find any information about this thing at all, other than that its similar to the ones in the Eisbaer line.

IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG

I'll add to the saga, the bracket for this thing is a little big for the Nano PCB and the chokes are a little close to the socket and slightly taller, so I needed a shim. I took a blowtorch to an old AMD something or other heatsink and melted the solder for the cold plate, it looks like maybe a 2 or 3mm 45x45mm copper base. I then lapped it and made sure the top side was flat. This is probably going to end up with a slightly higher temp than the dual fan XFX system but I don't give a crap so long as I don't have to listen to those fans run at 95% all the time, it makes blower cards sound like a pleasant whisper.

IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

Thanks for sharing, curious to know how it performs. The grid design looks sort of old fashioned

Thanks for sharing, curious to know how it performs. The grid design looks sort of old fashioned

It may look old fashioned, but it works really damn well even with my thick shim. After 30 minutes of Heaven my card was showing 46C Core, 64C Hotspot and 48C HBM. I haven't been able to figure any way to cool the VRM's though (they're under the edges of the block) so I'm a bit leery of keeping this on the card.

any way you can get a fan to blow over the card? that should keep the vrms cool enough.

any way you can get a fan to blow over the card? that should keep the vrms cool enough.

Yeah I'm going to try and rig something up. I may change the direction of the block so the tubes would go out the back of the card rather than the top. This was basically a trial run to see if the temps would be good since I had to put the big spacer in there.

The pump is fairly powerful and completely silent, it works really well for its small size.

I played Destiny 2 for about 3 hours and this was the results (I have mounted an 800rpm 120mm above the slots to cool the VRM)

Card is at +50% power target and undervolted to 1050mv. Perfectly steady at its 1560mhz clocks.

temps.gif

Last edited:
Back