How has gaming messed you up?

techie81 said:
if I play right before I go to bed I hear an M16 in the background. :D

I get that, I hear noises from whatever game I was playing, and then lying in bed I start hearing the sound of IMs.. so I gotta get up and make sure noone is trying to contact me.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
I get that, I hear noises from whatever game I was playing, and then lying in bed I start hearing the sound of IMs.. so I gotta get up and make sure noone is trying to contact me.

not only that, man i swear! ill hear voices calling for artillery drops or supplies and as im falling asleep in my mind im doing just that coordinating, and kickin ass.

i also have the prob from CS:s of looking for ppl with awps or looking for best hiding places all the time whenever im out n about, and of course my buddys join me in finding shit like that, good times good times.

I also have to add, after playing BF2 for many months my dreams have started to similuate being in the game. I have had many dreams where I have been fighting terrorists or MEC fools. Its kinda of crazy, I will tell me friends the next day and they will look at me like Im nuts.

A high school football injury to my knee was irritated after years of sitting at a desk working, and gaming. I have a bad habit of folding my lower right leg under my left thigh and sitting on my leg sorta. The result kept constant strain on my weak joint and tendons, which then lead to surgery...

Oh and just last week a broke a bone in my hand from a jack-all handle flying back at my hand.. they had to cast my hand with the ring + pinky finger pointed down towards the desk.. totally ending my ability to use a mouse in a game... if you only knew how long it took to fuckin type this... /whine

but yah.. I advise not sitting with crossed legs or 1 leg crossed for extended periods of time.. it is very hard on your knees... :)

ojax said:
A high school football injury to my knee was irritated after years of sitting at a desk working, and gaming. I have a bad habit of folding my lower right leg under my left thigh and sitting on my leg sorta. The result kept constant strain on my weak joint and tendons, which then lead to surgery...

Oh and just last week a broke a bone in my hand from a jack-all handle flying back at my hand.. they had to cast my hand with the ring + pinky finger pointed down towards the desk.. totally ending my ability to use a mouse in a game... if you only knew how long it took to fuckin type this... /whine

but yah.. I advise not sitting with crossed legs or 1 leg crossed for extended periods of time.. it is very hard on your knees... :)

WHOA, not only bad for knees, just like in long flights overseas n such anytime ur sitting for more than an hour or so id suggest getting up and stretching, why u ask, CAUSE of BLOOD CLOTS, blood clots kill. nasty way to go.

gained 20+ pounds

fuck you WoW. i want my 2 months of my life back. not to mention the 50 bucks and 100+ dollars i paid for that monthly fee. which i could've spent on alcohol and fast women!

aZn_plyR said:
besides the lumps on my cheeks ( :D )

I gained lots of weight.. I am like 190 lbs... but I don't look it at all.. I look 150-160 :) 5'8"
:D

same happened to me, I started underweight for my height (6'1") and about 110 pounds, now I'm 170 and look 140. :D,its also ruined my back (have a bit of a hunch), but thats about it, on the other hand I often neglate buying and eating food so I can be able to buy more computer parts, a good example is today, I skipped breakfest, had a slice of bread with cream cheese for lunch, and skipped dinner, all because I need to save money for a Custom Lian-Li Case, Watercooling, and R580+(X1900 Refresh) Crossfire when it comes out, oh and intel concore when it comes out, and a new motherboard for the Concore chip. oh and new ram.... damn... Thats alot of money.... All started because of gaming....

I almost failed my classes last semester, but was able to scoop it out in the end. I'm completely addicted to Joint Ops Typhoon Rising and the Escalation expansion pack. I CANNOT stop playing it. And I've still got Far Cry unfinished as well as COD.

Gibzilla said:
Nothing ruined people's lives more than original everquest. Hell there was an active forum titled "everquest widows" LOL. I think it costed a few lives too.

I'm gonna find that link someday.

He's right... I quit like 2 3 4 years ago, cant remember. played since beta. still think about it... DAMN IT!

that game is unmatched for immersion/addiction to this day. you know its bad that the only reason I you quit is for in-game problems (pvp server) instead of RL.

the only consolation is selling my acct on EBAY for $800, a nano-drop in the bucket compared to what was lost.

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR
sitting on my leather chair and the ummmmmm... sore between my cheeks... no, not the one on my face!
I don't know what games you play, but count me out.

LMFAO :D

WOW is pretty addictive, certainly the most of any game I have ever came across.

I'm distracted from school because of games, but I get over it and pull off good grades. I'm not letting WoW suck me in, I've been playing a free trial but I refuse to purchase it for the sake of my social life. I game 2-3 hours per day during the summer, mostly at night, so I think I have it under control. I need to finish up HL2 and I just got a bunch of new games (Fable, Guild Wars, Pariah, Halo, Project Snowblind) so I'm set for a while.

dwilson041781 said:
not only that, man i swear! ill hear voices calling for artillery drops or supplies and as im falling asleep in my mind im doing just that coordinating, and kickin ass.

i also have the prob from CS:s of looking for ppl with awps or looking for best hiding places all the time whenever im out n about, and of course my buddys join me in finding shit like that, good times good times.
Have you ever noticed that the check out thing in super markets sounds like a UAV scan? :eek:

LunchboX3904 said:
lmao. same here. :p

Believe it or not, my girlfriend actually likes watching me play. Even I find it very hard to believe too, but she'll sit with me on my wide chair and watch me kill the terrorists and point them out and everything. She says I look cute while I play cause I get so into it and she thinks it's like a mini war movie. While there's limitations, such as time (1.5hrs tops), to which she'll watch me play I think I got really really lucky.

my GF use to be like that...when we first started dating

now she just goes and does her own thing :( where the love gone...where :(

Everybody remember the quote "after a fight, everything else got the volume turned down" from fight club? The same can be said for surroundsound gaming. I swear, I've got hearing loss. I like nice loud explosions and death noises in my face, so I keep the sub right by my head, and turn everything way way up. Yes, that's a good way to lose hearing.

Plus I spent so much time playing UT2K3 late at night, I ended up getting re-addicted to Mt. Dew. I had quit for a month or two. I drank about a 2 liter a day for about a year straight.....gained some weight and lost some short term memory.

Cost me some money, too. I would've been perfectly fine with my old rig, but then friggin oblivion had to come out and make me buy a whole new setup to get it smooth.

-edit-
Thought maybe I should include some off the stuff I've *gained* from video games.

1). Better driver. Anybody ever notice that after playing alot of video games, if you go driving, you're like COMPLTELY aware of everything around you? It's like you're training yourself to see everything and react quickly.

2). First girlfriend, met her on *shame* runescape. Actually lasted a little over a year. She lived bout two hours away so we got to see eachother quite a bit.

3). New field of interest! I never gave a crap about computers till I found out that my mom's P1 could play gameboy games with an emulator. Shortly after I was walking through the gameboy section at wal-mart and saw all these amazing looking titles for pc. It dawned on me: "You can use these things for things other than spreadsheets and email!"

4). Justification for being lazy. :)

great thread =)

I've been gaming since pong in 72. I can easily say its created so many challenges over the years with girlfriends, jobs, constant hardware upgrading and etc I cannot list but its MMORPG's that really stick out for me and my gaming friends. we have one friend hooked on final fantasy. we've not seem him in over 1.5 years. never comes out, never talks unless u go see him. awhile back everquest (evercrack) took a friend away. never seen him again. no joke too...that's sad

gaming brings me and a my gaming friends together tho for frequent lan's and its always been a blast. but they're the circle of friends who barely making any money, have shitty jobs, if they have one, and most have no motivation to get into life, girlfriends and be productive. then add they're all potheads and its pretty serious...

EDIT: thinking more on this...I've been around sooooo many gamers in my time, and a very high % smoke the green so if saying gaming and drugs don't go hand in hand is a very naive statement IMO. the # is too great ...

I'd almost have to think there are more CON's than PRO's. moral? gaming's bad! hehe but I LOVE IT :D

Honestly gaming hasn't done anything negative to me. Pretty much while everyone else watches tv, I play video games istead. I've managed to balance having a social life with my GF and friends, work and other things with gaming. I even manage a guild in WoW... I don't sleep that much, but I never did anyway. 4-5 hours max.

pistola said:
Honestly gaming hasn't done anything negative to me. Pretty much while everyone else watches tv, I play video games istead. I've managed to balance having a social life with my GF and friends, work and other things with gaming. I even manage a guild in WoW... I don't sleep that much, but I never did anyway. 4-5 hours max.

just to let you know under 4 hours consistantly leads to insomnia and s.... (how the hell do i spell this)... skitsopphrenia... yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh......

anywho thats bad dude. you should up the sleep.

I've played so much Oblivion in the last month and a half... while walking outside to get my mail, etc., I've twice found myself veering towards colorful plants so I could identify them and collect alchemy ingredients :eek:

G'ßöö said:
EDIT: thinking more on this...I've been around sooooo many gamers in my time, and a very high % smoke the green so if saying gaming and drugs don't go hand in hand is a very naive statement IMO. the # is too great ...

Wierd...Out of all my IRL PC gamer friends, none smoke, and in my CoD2 clan one smokes occasionally, and in my old WoW guild none smoked =\. But on the other hand probably half of the Halo2 gamers I come across smoke the green. I guess if I was playing such a horrible game I'd have to be stoned too :-P

Rockjay420 said:
i see dead people

im gonna have to call cock·a·ma·my on the dead ppl thing and gaming messing individuals up, in short, a scape goat is needed, loners/cutup/slackers/hacker/crackers have been around before gaming, dont put blame on movies/games/music etc...guns dont kill ppl, chuck norris does.
todays lesson chuck norris can roundhouse at 10x, yes u read that right 10x the speed of sound.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
Wierd...Out of all my IRL PC gamer friends, none smoke, and in my CoD2 clan one smokes occasionally, and in my old WoW guild none smoked =\. But on the other hand probably half of the Halo2 gamers I come across smoke the green. I guess if I was playing such a horrible game I'd have to be stoned too :-P

LOL, like half the Halo 2 players I've played against are like 10 years old. If what you say is the case, then drug use in this country is a lot worse than I imagined.

i can tell you how gaming has messed my friends up.

World of Warcraft.

they now won't try any new games, won't do much of anything anymore. brain-dead vegetables.

I have found that gaming had made my life better than worse. Although the lack social skills hurts, I don't regret it, its who I am.

My hand-eye coordination is exellent, and thanks to CSS my reaction time is better, which helps while driving.

Havent had any physical effects from gaming besides the hole in my wallet from keeping my computer up to spec.

Gaming has had it's pros and cons to it, although I think these are the cons of gaming for me.

1) Barley leaving my house, since I gamed so often I became customized to stay at home for long periods, I've finally started to crack the shell but still am home alot.

2) Having no girlfriend and barley any friends, primarly caused by spending large amounts of my time alone.

Anyways, I think I will mention some of the pros I found now.

1)Learning how to type fast, you pretty much have to type fast to communicate in games like Neverwinter Knights

2) More self control, I can now do things more easy cause I've learned to put limits on things, I've way overdone things before and don't want to repeat em.

3) Not doing any drugs, and actually learning how to build computers and manage my money better, I attribute it to gaming cause when I first got a job I blew a large chunk of my money on games/computer parts that I barley even used.

4) Being more attentive, playing counter-strike, f-zero GX, and a few other games you had to pay close attention to everything or you wouldn't be very good at them, generally I am more attentive in real life now as well.

Well that pretty much sums up the pros and cons for me.

sculelos said:
1) Barley leaving my house, since I gamed so often I became customized to stay at home for long periods, I've finally started to crack the shell but still am home alot.

I don't see how that's a bad thing TBH.

Not wanting to do anything but stay at home and play WoW (Ive never really been an outgoing, outdoors type anyhow)

Almost getting divorced because I play too much (play about 20-30 hours every other week and only about 8-10 hours the other weeks..I dont think thats too much)

Not studying or doing anything for my future, besides being in the army with almost no possability for promotion (Mostly not my fault as any one in the Army knows my points are 798 and I expect them to stay that way which means no promotion)

So ya there are my troubles with playing games :)

sculelos said:
Anyways, I think I will mention some of the pros I found now.

1)Learning how to type fast, you pretty much have to type fast to communicate in games like Neverwinter Knights

2) More self control, I can now do things more easy cause I've learned to put limits on things, I've way overdone things before and don't want to repeat em.

3) Not doing any drugs, and actually learning how to build computers and manage my money better, I attribute it to gaming cause when I first got a job I blew a large chunk of my money on games/computer parts that I barley even used.

4) Being more attentive, playing counter-strike, f-zero GX, and a few other games you had to pay close attention to everything or you wouldn't be very good at them, generally I am more attentive in real life now as well.

Well that pretty much sums up the pros and cons for me.

I feel the same as you do on these points. Doing nothing but sitting in front of the computer has greatly increased my knowledge in computers, typing speed and my attention to certain events.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
I don't see how that's a bad thing TBH.
I totally agree, the worlds foo bar'd anyway :p I make time for the beach and the mtn bike trails and that's good nuff for the most part. the hands/fingers are sore lately tho GRRR!! the left hand is always spread apart for alt/tabbing + etc and the billions of clicks on the mouse seem to be taking its toll on the right hand. anyone got a good remedy besides not being on the computer? am taking nutri-flex for joint pain but its too soon to see if its helping. am told ya need to take it for a few weeks at first.

don't get me started on back pain but I combat that with situp's and I'm learning to crack myself on yoga blocks and its helping. fun fun fun!

and who said the computer is bad. let's see how much TV people watch and I bet that's more

G'ßöö said:
and who said the computer is bad. let's see how much TV people watch and I bet that's more

haha

That's always my argument! How can playing computer games be any worse than sitting in front of the TV for hours doing nothing? Atleast I'm using my gray matter more :p

Raven01 said:
haha

That's always my argument! How can playing computer games be any worse than sitting in front of the TV for hours doing nothing? Atleast I'm using my gray matter more :p
oh fuck yea! TV is our society's evil. don't let anyone tell ya different. we've not had cable for two years and we love it. death to bling bling!

Well, here it goes:

1. Horrid eyesight, which I can only attribute to coding and gaming, not genes.
2. I'm very paranoid now >_> <_<.
3. Lazy, but maybe that's not games :eek:
4. Unhealthy to the max.

Since I have a CRT, my eyes often hurt.

My hip hurts from putting all my weight onto it because of how I usually sit.

Of course, my skin isn't all that tan.

sculelos said:

funny have less self control now.

Videogames taught me it's okay to deficate on your chair to continue your killing spree in bf2. Games also gave me man tits, negating the need for a girlfriend.

Back