How has gaming messed you up?

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
1) Back kills me from being hunched over all night playing BF42.

2) Right shoulder kills me from killing Germans all night playing BF42.

3) Left foot is numb from bracing myself, killing Germans all night.

4) Seriously, sometimes I drive all over the place in my car and have a hard time looking forward. I'm used to look around for... you guessed it... Germans.

Me thinks I need to not kill so many Germans. But it's soooo fun. :eek:

sitting on my leather chair and the ummmmmm... sore between my cheeks... no, not the one on my face!

aZn_plyR said:
sitting on my leather chair and the ummmmmm... sore between my cheeks... no, not the one on my face!

I don't know what games you play, but count me out.

Sitting on a leather chair in this heat forces me to take showers every 15 minutes to prevent smelling like shit.

EricDawg said:
1) Back kills me from being hunched over all night playing BF42.

2) Right shoulder kills me from killing Germans all night playing BF42.

3) Left foot is numb from bracing myself, killing Germans all night.

4) Seriously, sometimes I drive all over the place in my car and have a hard time looking forward. I'm used to look around for... you guessed it... Germans.

Me thinks I need to not kill so many Germans. But it's soooo fun. :eek:

oh man... youd love my dad....

"Jeff! (me) eat your corn beef so you can grow up big and strong and beat the germans.... again."

but yea, i play source same effect..... you look around corners to make sure there are no hidden terrorists, that are gonna magically *buy* ak-47s and start shootin up everything....

but games did good for me to, or at least i hope they did. i bought a computer, which had a 9600SE in it, which i didnt know, and i was wondering why DOOM3 was studdering. so i go to the guy i bought it from, "why cant i play doom3" he says you need a better graphics card (ended up selling me a 6600GT), been learning pretty quickly about computer since then, now i know what a front side bus is, exactly what ram does, what timings are (that was a fun one), what clock cycles are etc. etc, looks like i might even work for this guy i bought my computer from in the summer.

MrWizard6600 said:
oh man... youd love my dad....

"Jeff! (me) eat your corn beef so you can grow up big and strong and beat the germans.... again."

but yea, i play source same effect..... you look around corners to make sure there are no hidden terrorists, that are gonna magically *buy* ak-47s and start shootin up everything....

but games did good for me to, or at least i hope they did. i bought a computer, which had a 9600SE in it, which i didnt know, and i was wondering why DOOM3 was studdering. so i go to the guy i bought it from, "why cant i play doom3" he says you need a better graphics card (ended up selling me a 6600GT), been learning pretty quickly about computer since then, now i know what a front side bus is, exactly what ram does, what timings are (that was a fun one), what clock cycles are etc. etc, looks like i might even work for this guy i bought my computer from in the summer.

similiar story here, gaming took me from console days to learning any n everything i can about computers etc... thread title is the suxor, sure some ppl have addictive personalitys and it may have hurt them, but lets try to look on the bright side of stuff, lets not cry about not getting up to stretch or staying in good shape or leg ache or eye strain it happens to the best of us.
DO something about it, take a break, play less whatever. not meant to thread crap, just sayin ahh who cares...

knowledge is power, and profitable use it to your advantage.

Not quite on the same line as you guys, but WoW and a lack of self control pretty much messed up my social / work life. Played waaaaay too much and started neglecting work (self-employed) and friends.

Quit and life is far, far better now. :)

I get neck pain and have tendonitis is my middle fingers which i attribute to gaming. Oh, i shaved my head and bought a black suit and leather gloves after playing hitman. I also gunned down a load of classmates for fun after playing Doom the other day.

Skirrow said:
I get neck pain and have tendonitis is my middle fingers which i attribute to gaming. Oh, i shaved my head and bought a black suit and leather gloves after playing hitman. I also gunned down a load of classmates for fun after playing Doom the other day.

with a twelve gague shot gun, of course... that or a magical spinning cube that inexplicably kills stuff....

hasnt messed me up.. i don't play games a lot... i wish i had the time nad money to play alittle more than i do.. but even then, i don't think i'd play that much...

Wanting the fastest and best, craving the most intense image quality,and having fun doing it. Learning about what makes the computer able to do those things.
Then extending that learning to make my work easier.
Thats pretty cool.
Saying things like (even though jokingly) killing classmates,or your mother......only will fuel the unfounded bias that senators and certain attorneys have against gaming.

Face it, games are fun and imaginary. But some people just dont get it and we shouldnt help them further their ignorance.

Sorry if I dumped on your thread. :eek:

naw the threads cool. i love those idiots. i need to make a political party we would be called "the NEW anti-idiot party" NAP. i mean look. i blame the parents, if you cant teach your kid that killing is wrong, and video games teachs him its cool, then the parents have failed that child. its just that simple.

When I used to play cs , I would have consecutive dreams where I had an aug and was a T in aztec, I would line up a CT in my sights, and I'd click, I'd click that mouse button till I could click no more, but it wouldn't fire! My gosh that was frustrating.

Other than that, I think games actually assisted me with proper nutrition when I was younger. Before I played games a fair bit, i'd get bored and just eat crap to fulfill my boredom, I never played too much sport. Though after getting into games, I wouldn't eat out of boredom but instead when I was hungry, and many of the games (skateboarding and basketball games) made me want to go outside and play.

So I guess that messed me up, in the sense that it messed with what I was used to doing.

Gaming has:
lowered my grades
caused weight gain, which i literally had to suffer to lose those 50 pounds :eek:
nearly killed my social life

I have spent hours of math class contemplating the tasks i needed to preform in WoW. I also tried to stab a girl that looked like she was trying to gank me outside the library.

Well I don't know about you but I have always found that stabbing innocent people produces a rather negative reaction from...well the rest of the world really, you know prison and the like, that seems sufficiently bad to me.

Thurgood: and I am addicted to video games.

Entire Group groans

Addict: You in here for some video games?!? Games?!? Man, this is some BULLSHIT!

Bob Saget: Video Games are not an addiction! I used to suck dick for coke!

Addict: I seen him!

Bob Saget: Now that's an addiction man! You ever suck some dick for Games?!

Addict: HUH?!

Thurgood: No, I can't say I have.

Bob Saget: Yeah I didn't think so...

Addict: Boo this man! BOO!!!

Everyone "boos" him and throws bottles and trash at him

:p :D ;)

Life? You have a life! Wow! Can I have one?

That about sums it up. :(

It's not entirely due to gaming, but I do game when I could be doing other stuff.

You guys need to give yourselves a break. Yeah, I think if gaming screws up your grades that's a kind of bad thing, but you'd probably find something else if it wasn't games.

Games didn't mess me up. I got interested in basic network stuff--ping, traceroute, etc--and got a job in IT. It also kept me from going out and getting drunk. It replaced other bad habits.

Games have made me lazy(er), made me the fats, and I haven't even talked to a girl in forever.

Games have introduced me into a whole new world of fun, kept me away from drugs, interested me into computers, introduced me to LAN parties which are the funnest times of my life, and introduced me to people who got the hardware hook-up and gave me a decent job :)

Good clearly outweights the bad. Fat nerds FTW

One summer I gamed day after day after day on Warcraft 3 -- afterwards, my previously perfect 20-20 vision was damaged and remains damaged. I can't read anything from afar and sometimes even up close things seem blurry. For those of you who never believed anyone about watching for eye strain, this is a great place to start believing: It happened to me, and it can easily happen to you as well.

Also, my back seems to hurt every now and then from bad posture (when sitting).

For all you non-thread crappers, thanks. It feels better to know I'm not the only one walking around trying to focus with a hunched over spine and tendonitis in my shouder and carpel tunnel. :eek:

TheCowOfNow said:
I have spent hours of math class contemplating the tasks i needed to preform in WoW..

Heh, I hear ya. Back in my Diablo2 days, in math class I would have out a notepad and my calculator doing calculations on the maxiumum health/damage. I would be seeing exactly how much strength/dext/etc would be optimal. My teacher would give me a good participation grade too because she would think I was working on her problems :)

I started getting some pain in my knees and ankles when I would stand / walk. So much so, I had to limp to the nearest chair to break the pain. It didn't take me long to realize why.

I would spend 3 hours a night gaming with my legs fully outstretched. That means my knees were "locked" backwards that whole time and my ankles were cocked at their most severe angle.

It took me two weeks of intentionally changing my sitting / sleeping positions to get my joints to stop aching. I've learned my lesson.

The best rule of thumb is to always change your sitting position frequently. If you start feeling fatigued just sitting there, you better go take a half hour and do something else.

Haha wow....

I've tried to be careful with my 20/10 vision....its good sometimes to take a break and "refocus" the eyes.

I'm in extremely good all around shape....but I have had games get in the way of homework and exercise. The temptation to sit around for sweet entertainment seems so much more likeable than exerting myself mentally and/or physically.

Gaming has affected my grades, for sure. Its also affected the amount of sleep I get. I'm sure everyone knows the (summer) routine of gaming until 6 or 7 AM, then sleeping until 12 or 1.... Biiiig time waster.

BUT

I love how gaming has gotten me very knowledgable in the field of computers and how they are built. Its been an amazing hobby. If it were not for games, I wouldnt have nearly as much incentive to upgrade.

Gaming has entertained me. I'm not going to stop - bottom line.

Psychotext said:
Not quite on the same line as you guys, but WoW and a lack of self control pretty much messed up my social / work life. Played waaaaay too much and started neglecting work (self-employed) and friends.

Quit and life is far, far better now. :)
Yuppers... That was my story a few years back when I played AO and I started to see the same effect when I played WOW but I managed to keep it mostly under control. Awesome game, isn't it?

holy shit this thread is depressing, you know these "side-effects" of gaming sounds VERY familiar to those of drug/alcohol addicts...I guess it can very well be another form of addiction, the problem is self-control and gaming in moderation is the answer, no 12-14 hour stints, maybe 1-2 hours then go live life.. easier said than done 'ey? :p

besides the lumps on my cheeks ( :D )

I gained lots of weight.. I am like 190 lbs... but I don't look it at all.. I look 150-160 :) 5'8"
:D

EricDawg said:
For all you non-thread crappers, thanks. It feels better to know I'm not the only one walking around trying to focus with a hunched over spine and tendonitis in my shouder and carpel tunnel. :eek:

Don't blame yourself, blame scientific society for not being advanced enough to replace our failing natural parts with machinery/cybernetic parts. :p

:LOL:

It really hasn'tmessed me up, but I have pissed my wife off a few a times because I would rather play than go to the park or something boring like that. Well, I like the park just fine, but not when I have a new game I just walked through the door with.

Json23 said:
It really hasn'tmessed me up, but I have pissed my wife off a few a times because I would rather play than go to the park or something boring like that. Well, I like the park just fine, but not when I have a new game I just walked through the door with.

hahah right, I can picture that, like the day HL2 is released, "honey, lets go out and stare at the grass for 6 hours" ... F that, my woman wouldnt do that to me, now if we had plans i would be fine with that, but id never make plans to do stuff with the wife the day a hot new game comes out.. thats why you have to lay the rules down with her, you go out with her only when you agree on it and plan in advance, this way they dont pop no surprise shit on ya :p

Gaming is what got me into computers which I know so much about and hope to fetch me a nice job very soon. Really grades havbew not suffered at all, and if anything I game less and less. Usally I am just on the net etc reading and stuff. I Do feel I have become more of a couch potato as I used to be very active in sports but noit any more. Between college and working 30 hours a week, no time to game.

haha i thought messed up as in

"i want to go on a mass murder spree with a .50 cal riffle and blame it on video games"

type of messed up.

Back