How hard would it be to get a laptop mobo and insert it into my current laptop?

Retne

Limp Gawd
Well I'm a little new to complete dissassembly of laptops but I'm just plain sick of the current setup I have in it(not to mention gateway sucks arse and wont sell even to a computer shop a spare part; ie: the connection for the outlet). Just wondering exactly how hard it would be to swap out a new mobo/proc combo? Or perhaps maybe just a new power supply? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I'm just wondering how cost effective this would be and also if it would be possible/worth doing.

Well what are your thoughts?

edit: The laptop is a Gateway 400VTX

well the first thought that comes to my mind is... "no no no"

Generally every laptop make/model/whatever has its own propreitary form and format. The closest things that come to being swappable are the memory, and hard drives.

Another thing that you might not realize is the fact that most setups have the CPU soldered permanently to the motherboards in laptops. I know my old Sony Vaio did (littl 833Mhz)

Nowadays there are a few laptops that are going towards swappable parts, the XPS2 (which im typing this one as we speak) supposedly has a removable "video card"

Just my $0.02 :)

I knew that a great deal of the mobile cpus are soldered onto the board which is why I said mobo/pro combo ;) . Just wondering if it would be plausible to find a combo with the correct deminsions and (if need be) do a little dremel work on the inside of the laptop. Another questions is if it were plausible where would I pick up a mobile proc/mobo combo?

We get these threads like every couple weeks or less in here... Sorry to rain on the picnic, but the word you will get is *impossible* unless you get same make/model mobo and put into same make/model case. Thats why there are no truly home built laptops.

Ripped straight from the Lappy FAQs thread above yours
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=918616

Q: I want to build my own Laptop, where do I get parts?

A: Hate to burst your bubble, but the closest you’re going to get to building a Laptop is buying an ASUS white box notebook. Essentially this notebook is complete, but lacks memory, CPU, HDD, Optical Drive, and Wi-Fi. You add in those components yourself. ASUS actually intended resellers to add-in these components to meet the needs of their customers, but some have been selling the White-box notebooks direct to customers whom then later on install the missing pieces. Laptops unfortunately carry a lot of specialized hardware specific to each manufacturer and model unlike a Desktop PC which adheres to standard architecture. It is unlikely that anyone is going to come up with a completely modular notebook since enthusiasts account for so little of the customer base.

Back