How Hard Is It to Qualify for F1 Esports?

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Many of us have watched gaming tournaments on Twitch and wondered why we aren't there competing? What makes this guy better than me? Alex Gillon compares his top 5% in the world run in F1 Esports qualifying on the PC platform against the #1 F1 Esports PS4 player in the world; Dominik Hofmann. The qualifications for the tournament is a run consisting of 5 laps and the player's fastest lap is weighed also. After 5 laps Gillon was 9.5 seconds slower than Hofmann which is an eternity in racing.

Well both consoles and PC support external racing peripherals which I imagine both of these e-racers would be using.

As a huge fan of F1 (seen every race weekend since 2001,) a very green racer IRL and a shitty eracer, 1st thing I said after a few seconds was that the guy was too far from the wall on every exit and slow on the power. Especially at Monaco there is basically no margin for error, you need to be very close on the exits if you want to be the fastest. 2nd guy starts racing and yup... 1st guy was too far off the wall and slow on the power on the exits. At Montreal its the same with the wall of champions; you have to almost touch the wall if you want to be the fastest.

A console may have some driver assists on due to inferior controls. At times the faster driver seemed to be able to turn sharply with very little steering.

It’s because consoles are inferior and he was on a PC - keyboard/mouse better than game pad - .... /s

9+ sec is significant.

I doubt players that are competing on high level use keyboard and mouse, or even a normal gamepad. Most likely they're using a racing Wheel.

Well right off the bat, it looks like the first guy is using a default setup and either a controller or keyboard. Second guy is obviously using a steering wheel and custom setup. Also watch the lower right corner of the screen. Second guy is constantly changing his fuel mix while the first guy left it on rich. 70 second laps are actually trivial with a steering wheel. Pushing it under that is a feat, though.
Is this accurate? I've been curious.
No, it's not. Control is the same among the platforms in F1 2017. The difference is the setup and control method used. The car responds better in the game to the more subtle movements a steering wheel allows. A controller or keyboard is always going to input too much lock which will make the front tyres plow. You can also see that the second driver is running more downforce.

I doubt players that are competing on high level use keyboard and mouse, or even a normal gamepad. Most likely they're using a racing Wheel.

787.png

Back