How good is this motherboard?

I'm looking into building yet another computer for my friend's family, but currently the Asus A7N266 is not available at my usual online retailers, thus forcing me to seek an alternative.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the Asus A7N8X-VM400. It has basically all the things I need for the particular system including onboard LAN, video, and audio. However, it's the onboard video that I'm slightly paranoid about.

How does the GeForce 4 MX compare to the Via S3 Integrated graphics and the GeForce 2 MX? I've only dealt with the NForce 2 chipset with the GeForce 2 MX on it. I'm sure the GeForce 4 MX would be better obviously, but I'm curious if it is faulty or not.

Dark Assassin

The integrated GF4 MX on nforce2 is alright for integrated video, if you have zero intention of doing any gaming. The only thing to remember is that it shares system memory, so anything the gfx is using is subtracted from the amount available for windows to use. Personally, I'd spend the $45 and buy a Radeon 9200.

Dark Assassin said:
I'm looking into building yet another computer for my friend's family, but currently the Asus A7N266 is not available at my usual online retailers, thus forcing me to seek an alternative.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the Asus A7N8X-VM400. It has basically all the things I need for the particular system including onboard LAN, video, and audio. However, it's the onboard video that I'm slightly paranoid about.

How does the GeForce 4 MX compare to the Via S3 Integrated graphics and the GeForce 2 MX? I've only dealt with the NForce 2 chipset with the GeForce 2 MX on it. I'm sure the GeForce 4 MX would be better obviously, but I'm curious if it is faulty or not.
All Nforce2 mobo's came with GF4mx-400 graphics. The Nforce1 came with GF2mx graphics. That being said; as of today i've now owned 4 Norce2 IGP mobo's and the graphics have been fine with all of them. Just be sure to use two sticks of ram to make dual channel possible since its a major performance boost for Nforce IGP (15-30% depending).

I've even overclocked all of them which helps quite a bit more. If you overclock then make sure to reapply thermal paste under the north bridge heatsink (hardly any there) and check south bridge temps with the finger test. If the southbridge "almost" burns your finger then rig a small fan or heatsink on it.

why were you thinking to put a mobo thats max FSB was 266 mhz in a new comp? what have u been smoking? i mean, 266mhz has no upgradibility. :confused:

It's certainly not geared for any high speed performance nor upgradeability. It's simply a budget PC for a family's web surfing and solitaire playing needs. In my opinion, that's a really good choice for the aforementioned intentions.

Dark Assassin

That board is excellent for your aplication. We have shipped about 2 systems with this board and it worked excellent.

Back