How good is SB Core i5 for running Virtual PC and Sharepoint

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I was thinking of buying HP DV6-6120TX, which consists of Intel® Core™ i5-2410M and 4GB RAM. So How good will this setup for running

Virtual PC consisting of Windows 2003 server with Sharepoint? Will it run smoothly or do I need a Quad?

I would definitely do more than 4GB of ram. The VM itself can easily take up 2GB. Also make sure the host system is 64 bit because you'll need that for increased addressable memory (4GB+). The CPU, it supports VX-t which means it's compatible but it's only a dual core so while the VM is open I wouldn't expect great performance in either. It would be doable for sure though if the task were not to intensive.

RAM seems insufficient. I also wouldn't use Virtual PC for any corporate VM hosting.

What version of Sharepoint? How many Sharepoint users? Would this box also host SQL Server?

I am not using it for Corporate hosting. I will use Sharepoint 2007/10 only for practice purpose. Since sharepoint can only be hosted in Windows 2003/2008 server so I would prefer virtual PC instead of dual OS. So it will be only single user

Last edited:
I've setup something similar and it'll work fine. It's going to take a while to boot up the machine particularly off of a mechanical hard drive as you also need an instance of SQL Server to run SP but for learning purposes and only a single user you shouldn't have any issues.

Back