How good is Freesync LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)?

dan415

n00b
I want to get a new monitor and currently I'm looking at one that has a refresh rate of 48-144hz with freesync. I've read that LFC allows freesync to continue working below the lowest refresh rate of your monitor as long as it's 2.5x less than the maximum refresh rate.

For those who have experience with this, how effective is LFC and are there any noticeable issues or imperfections with it for those with monitors that can take full advantage of it?

I want to get a new monitor and currently I'm looking at one that has a refresh rate of 48-144hz with freesync. I've read that LFC allows freesync to continue working below the lowest refresh rate of your monitor as long as it's 2.5x less than the maximum refresh rate.

For those who have experience with this, how effective is LFC and are there any noticeable issues or imperfections with it for those with monitors that can take full advantage of it?

In the example that you cited, LFC will allow an effective FreeSync range of 24fps to 144 fps without stuttering or tearing. It does this by at least doubling the refresh rate for the current frame rate.

I haven't personally tried it and my FreeSync monitor doesn't support LFC, but the few reviews I've read have shown it being seemless.

I have the Acer XR341CK with a FreeSync range of 30-75Hz I believe and LFC support. You do notice when it goes below 30Hz but it's not that your screen will be flickering, just a dropped frame or two. I haven't witnessed without LFC yet, but I've read it starts to insert BLANK signals showing as black frames intermittently. I can also sense when my display drops below 40Hz because the lower framerate starts to get noticeable even though it's not stuttering, but it's stable though.

Last edited:
Back