• 1.5 MBPS - 3 MBPS

Votes: 72 62.6%
  • 4-5 MBPS

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • 6 MBPS + (please post below

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters
512 x 512 10:1 contention ratio ADSL + 512 x 128 100:1 contention ratio ADSL

the 512 x 512 connection is great, absolute 100% uptime. (and work pays for it which is fabbo!)

Oh...it's for work.

My Dad worked at NY Life and they had about 45 GB's+ of bandwith just in one building.

ComputerBox34 said:
Oh...it's for work.

My Dad worked at NY Life and they had about 45 GB's+ of bandwith just in one building.

bah, we're talking home, business doesnt count because they can get fiber optics which are insane

AtomicFire said:
You uncapped? Suprised they haven't caught on yet ....we specifically recieved notices that uncappers will be prosecuted.

I didn't uncap the modem, the service i buy is "uncapped"(10mbit really) down. Except we get a pathetic 128kbit upload speed :p

Have you tried looking at the satellite internet service? It's not the best and you can't game that well with it but it's better than 56k.
I had satellite a long time ago in a different state, and it was ok, but not for the same price as cable/dsl. My pings with it were usually 100-150, would spike up to 400+ every few minutes when playing games. Downloading usually capped about 200k/sec. Any browsing/updates I just get at work and throw on my Karma to take home, so its not really a big deal, especially since some sweet sp games are coming out.

What i pay for is 5 mb down.

However, I transfer rates very from high 500k a sec to 3000k sec depending on time of day and soruce of download.

This is right now.

test1.JPG

I'm with Bell Sympatico High-Speed here. (I am Canadian ) :D

ADSL 3mbit/s - 800bit/s. NO bandwidth limit!
grimace.gif

9.8mbits/sec (comcast cable near boston).

Only here for 3 months and will only have to pay a total of $60. :D

Back in Rochester I don't get nearly as fast a connection on Road Runner, 2-3mb/s.

At RIT we had dual OC3s as well as I2, and I never really tested it because it was more than enough and never slow. And that was 3 years ago, they may have upgraded the dual OC3s by now, they were talking about doing it.

you cant game with sate internet ...

the ones ive seen use a program and a dialup connection to queue up stuff tobe sent down the satelite, I dont think you can use it for anything other than ftp/http and a few otehr protocols, defo no games or random progs

i manage the squid and snort machine for my university
so my linux box sits between the DS3 line from wiscnet and the core switch for the university...
can you say 53x53mbits per sec....
bt actualy has some issues with it since the max bt can handle is ~4000k sec and i can get ~6000k sec over the line

Cox Cable San Diego.

It's rated 3mb/256 i think, but i don't ever see that in real life. More like 500/35 tops. Been known to hit 5mb/350 on some of the test sites but who the hell cares if you can't actually get that :p

I've also lived in about 6 different areas within San Diego, and LAN'ed on another 5-6 all with Cox, and there is no difference what so ever anywhere within their network. It was just slightly faster when i lived on campus, but that was only at night when everyone wasn't downloading mp3's. That was by far the choppiest internet i ever had.

the satelite can be purchased from direcway with uploads and downloads through the satellite, its ok but reallly laggy, it works for buisnesses that cant get DSL that need to do alot of stuff on off site websites and things, it works pretty good. I do have a fav connection speed though, we were setting up DSL for a conference and we were haveing major probs with the "Barneys" (two of those dual wan port Xincom router) well i was running a speed test and i had the only machine connected to the network, we got a wonderful 2k!!! yes not 2mbps but 2kbps ill post a screenshot of the test when i get to work monday

I live pretty far in nowhere land, so my only options were direcwat (bah) and what i've got

MHO Microwave Broadband

comes in at 2.5/512, but we only pay for 2/512, so it usually runs between 1.8 and 2.3, i'ts pretty fast, but my friends 3/256 comcast in town is a bit faster :/

Back