How fast is today's phone cpu?

rahavsmt

Gawd
I would like to know how fast is today's phone cpu compared to desktop cpu? For example the Snapdragon 1.0ghz, is it as fast as let say Pentium 200mhz?

You can also give the comparison for other smartphone for example Iphone 3gs or Blackberry Storm/Bold.

I'm pretty sure the Snapdragon is faster than just about any other similarly clocked phone CPU, but the game is changing so quick in that regard that it won't last long. I know it's fast than both the 3GS and Blackberry's CPUs.

I'm not really sure about it in comparison to older desktop CPUs....I'm sure someone has taken the time to compare them...

Floating point - not great without using the SIMD instruction sets. These CPUs typically only have single-precision FPUs that aren't very fast, if they even have that.

Integer - Considering their power footprint, pretty damn good, but still probably not up to the performance per clock of a Pentium core.

Just ran nBench on my Nexus One (1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 core - this is basically the fastest CPU available in a phone today):

Memory: 2.8
Integer: 3.948
Float: 0.896

The baseline for the numbers is an AMD K6 @ 233MHz. Looking at the results list, this integer result is about equivalent to a Pentium III 700MHz. Pretty damn good considering it uses < 1W at full load.

With nBench on my 1GHz Snapdragon (Incredible) I pulled:

Memory: 2.633
Integer: 3.976
Float: 0.905

In Linpack I pull just under 7 MFLOPS... That will improve substantially with Froyo...

Last edited:
Floating point - not great without using the SIMD instruction sets. These CPUs typically only have single-precision FPUs that aren't very fast, if they even have that.

Integer - Considering their power footprint, pretty damn good, but still probably not up to the performance per clock of a Pentium core.

Just ran nBench on my Nexus One (1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 core - this is basically the fastest CPU available in a phone today):

Memory: 2.8
Integer: 3.948
Float: 0.896

The baseline for the numbers is an AMD K6 @ 233MHz. Looking at the results list, this integer result is about equivalent to a Pentium III 700MHz. Pretty damn good considering it uses < 1W at full load.

Actually your phone has this processor (Qualcomm QSD 8250 1 GHz) which is a slightly older revision of the one in the Droid Incredible/ EVO..

They are very similar though! :)

Last edited:
My Droid @ 1GHz (OMAP 3430 Cortex A8 based CPU) running Bugless 1.1:

nBench:
Memory: 2.851
Integer: 4.024
Float: .778

Linpack: 8.044 MFLOPS

The OMAP 3430, Snapdragon 8650 (EVO/Incredible), and 8250 (N1) all use Cortex A8 spec CPUs inside so you can see that even with the same basic CPU design there is some variance at 1GHz. Besides the float performance tho the A8 based CPUs all seem to be around the P3 700MHz range as keenan said. Should be interesting to see where these numbers go with Froyo.

Back