How far can you push the X800 pro card (OC)

Ztalin

n00b
I got the X800 pro (non vivo =/ ) and I was wonderin how far ppl here were able to OC their cards ... I got mine @ 515 core and 500 ram and it runs stable w/o any additional cooling (just the stock cooler) Since I got the non vivo x800 pro (should have done some reading b4 I bought it ) I´m gonna have to OC it usin the ATi tool... just wonderin how far u guys were able to go.... It does 56 fps timedemo 1 in D3 @ 1024x768 High Quality AA on

Sys Specs.
AMD Xp 3200 (OC´d 2500 barton)
Gig RAM
X800 pro
36gig 10k Raptor
SB Audigy

Stock cooling I get 555/570. No extra mods or anything. It's totally stable in all my games and with ATITool.

I have had two X800 pros now and neither overlocked past 500/500. I keep getting the video recovery. Do you guys get this ? How do you get past it ?

Make sure fast writes are turned off. If you don't mind the noise, you can use atitool to increase the fan speed of the stock cooler. Also, try disabling VPU recover.

You could also try doing the pencil mod to increase voltage to the core.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=817&s=1

Ok a lil update... got it to 520 core 550 ram with them new Omega drivers and it runs everything just fine .... gets up to ca. 65-70 c after and hour of Quake III :D so everything looks good...... I was thinkin if the system RAM was an important factor in this ... I got a 1024 mb RAM but it´s a no name sumthin CL 3 I think.

Sys Specs..
Xp 3200
1024 Ram
x800pro
36 gig Raptor
+ some shit I don´t bother to type in =)

Drivers nor fast writes cause me any problems. Either way I can get 561/590 with a volt mod of 1.4 and that's not even maxing out the core :). That was just good for a 3dmark run or two, otherwise the memory kind of artifacts. Now my everyday overclock is 535/545 with no volt mods and it's 100% stable. It maxed out at 545/570 or so. Then the core would freeze my computer :eek:

Ztalin said:
Ok a lil update... got it to 520 core 550 ram with them new Omega drivers and it runs everything just fine .... gets up to ca. 65-70 c after and hour of Quake III :D so everything looks good...... I was thinkin if the system RAM was an important factor in this ... I got a 1024 mb RAM but it´s a no name sumthin CL 3 I think.

Sys Specs..
Xp 3200
1024 Ram
x800pro
36 gig Raptor
+ some shit I don´t bother to type in =)

What did you get before you installed the Omega drivers?

The Omega drivers gave me some 5-6 fps I think + all the goodies that come with em... rad linker.. etc.. was thinkin about doin the hard mod but I read somwhere that has only about 20% success rate so it´s hardly worth doin it if that´s true...... mite aswell stick with this setup for the next year till the dual core CPU´s come and all that new shit that makes my current setup look like bad joke ;)

I have pritty much the same setup as Ztalin. I am able to push my X800pro card to 520/570. That gets me to 11,037 on 3dmark2003. I am happy with the extra Fps and horsepower this card brings over my 9800pro. I was thinking of doing the pencil mod but its just not worth destroying a $400 dollard card over. I go gaming at 515/545 and am happy with that. Omega drivers??? I am using the 4.8's. I was going to try the 4.9 beta as Doom3 has one slight chop that I want to eliminate at everything set to high.

SocketA said:
I have pritty much the same setup as Ztalin. I am able to push my X800pro card to 520/570. That gets me to 11,037 on 3dmark2003. I am happy with the extra Fps and horsepower this card brings over my 9800pro. I was thinking of doing the pencil mod but its just not worth destroying a $400 dollard card over. I go gaming at 515/545 and am happy with that. Omega drivers??? I am using the 4.8's. I was going to try the 4.9 beta as Doom3 has one slight chop that I want to eliminate at everything set to high.

Pencil mod isn't that risky. I did it and I got another 20-30MHz out of my core, and another 10-15MHz on my memory. Just be careful to connect the right points. Multimeter would be nice too. I upped mine and my temps only went up about 5-6C on the load. Not too bad.

bboynitrous said:
Pencil mod isn't that risky. I did it and I got another 20-30MHz out of my core, and another 10-15MHz on my memory. Just be careful to connect the right points. Multimeter would be nice too. I upped mine and my temps only went up about 5-6C on the load. Not too bad.

yeah, i did it yesterday and increased 25mhz on the core, haven't tried up'ing the memory any.

if anyone is going to do it, i'd test it with a multimeter before you start and then after to know it works. If you want to remove it at anytime then just erase the pencil :cool:

I thnk it's kind of hit and miss with how high you can push yours. I have an Sapphire Pro Vivo modded to 16 pipes, I can barely get 520/520.

Mutalys said:
I thnk it's kind of hit and miss with how high you can push yours. I have an Sapphire Pro Vivo modded to 16 pipes, I can barely get 520/520.

i've read that adding the extra 4 pipes to your card will hurt your oc'ability, but it's worth it for the extra performance the 4 pipes give.

got 10544 in 3Dmark03 card is at 513/540 is that good ? can´t browse other resaults cuz I didn´t buy it......oh and Mutalys ...if you have the ATI tool go in to the fancontrol settings and change the fan speeds to dynamic .... worked wonders for me, hours and hours of uninterrupted gaming :D with the max OC on. :::::::::Z::::::::::

Ztalin said:
got 10544 in 3Dmark03 card is at 513/540 is that good ? can´t browse other resaults cuz I didn´t buy it......oh and Mutalys ...if you have the ATI tool go in to the fancontrol settings and change the fan speeds to dynamic .... worked wonders for me, hours and hours of uninterrupted gaming :D with the max OC on. :::::::::Z::::::::::

Nah, it's not the fan speed. I even set it to 100%, not that it needs it. It isn't over heating (I have an Arctic Silencer 4 BTW) it just can't go any higher. I was able to play Doom3 for about 4 hours at 522/522, but I can't run 3dMark03.

I get 530/520 with VGA silencers rev.3 and BGA heatsinks
core will go higher i reckon, its still @ 40C after doom3 but the RAM is topped out

i get about 11k in 3dMark03

A64 3400+

Back