How far behind would a TRUE copper be in the current era?

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Copper that I bought in 2007 I think and I want to reuse it due to its rarity but I have to make sure it is not woefully behind the technology curve now. No one has compared it to modern coolers as far as I can find, all reviews that used it are from pre-2010 I think.

tom_ozahoski

Limp Gawd
They say it supports any AM3 processor. They went over 200 watts so it might not be terrible if used on a modern AMD platform. Also it has to be better than any Intel stock cooler.

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
I should have said my plan is a 5950x and some Thermaltake Quad Ring 120mm RGB fans to cool it. Might not be ideal for overclocking, I haven't overclocked since the Gulftown days anyways, but I just want to be sure it stays cool.

Throw a pair of good fans on them and I don’t see why it couldn’t keep up with modern 120mm towers. Or really it’d probably slightly outperform them since it’s all copper.

Last edited:

bigddybn

Supreme [H]ardness
Heat is heat. If it worked well then it'll do the same now. Looks like a link was posted above to get the mount for free.

Sojuuk

2[H]4U

hititnquitit

[H]ard|Gawd
I should have said my plan is a 5950x and some Thermaltake Quad Ring 120mm RGB fans to cool it. Might not be ideal for overclocking, I haven't overclocked since the Gulftown days anyways, but I just want to be sure it stays cool.
Im sure you already know this having had it for so long but thought id throw it out there just in case. Check your base for flatness if you haven't yet. If i remember correctly they were built convex to match the cpus of that era. It may be a candidate for a lap job.

evhvis

Limp Gawd
Should probably offer performance similar to a noctua nh-u12s so still a good cooler. It's not like there have been massive gains in air cooler size vs effectiveness when it comes to heatsinks. Most of the gains are from size and better fans.

doyll

[H]ard|Gawd
Ultra 120 Extreme Copper is very good cooler! Heatpipe life is many more years than cooler's age so with correct mount (which you have) all you need is fan and you should be good to go.

Please let us know how it does! A few pics would be nice too. ;)

cpufrost

Limp Gawd
The number and size (thickness) of the heatpipes ultimately determines capacity. I'd imagine wicking material may be more efficient today than it was 15 years ago. Of course this matters most on position which most definitely does affect capacity and ultimately loaded temps. I still have a Tuniq tower from 2005. It has a HUGE amount of fins but with just three skinny pipes. It was adequate to cool my o/c and ov Q6600 only when the pipes were vertical (motherboard horizontal). In a case, even wide open with a box fan blowing across it, the CPU would error out reaching 98C in Prime95. Three pipes just wasn't cutting it and the reduced capacity with angle change just pushed things over the edge.

The best tower cooler of the time (2010) was the Silver Arrow. HUGE pipes and lots of surface area. Like the large Noctuas, it often did not fit in many cases as well. Just about that time AIOs were gaining in popularity...

doyll

[H]ard|Gawd
Thermalright has just released a new Ultra 120 Extreme. Cooler comes with 2 TL-B12 Extreme 2150 rpm fans.
"Thermalright U120EX Rev.4 Black"
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...y&SearchText=Thermalright+U120EX+REV.4+BLACK+

To me the biggest improvement is base on Rev. 4 is offset forward of finpack 7mm so front of 25mm thick fan is only 48mm from center CPU, thus fitting behind RAM modules on most motherboards.

Here is dimensional drawing:
1636994068760.png

doyll

[H]ard|Gawd
Indeed! Lots of new fans are using GT design. Think I still have some GTs. If I can find them I'll test them in new test station so we can we can see how they compare with to new fans.

grumperfish

Weaksauce
I'm actually using a TRUE (non-copper) on my 6700 with a gentle typhoon fan. I considered using that on the 9900K but I put it under the HR-02 instead so I could run it with an extremely low-speed fan. Both of these coolers are like 15 years old and still work fine, although I'm not sure I would trust a 12-series i7 on the HR-02. Will likely replace that cooler with something modern the next time I upgrade.

doyll

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm actually using a TRUE (non-copper) on my 6700 with a gentle typhoon fan. I considered using that on the 9900K but I put it under the HR-02 instead so I could run it with an extremely low-speed fan. Both of these coolers are like 15 years old and still work fine, although I'm not sure I would trust a 12-series i7 on the HR-02. Will likely replace that cooler with something modern the next time I upgrade.
You can go with a new cooler if you like, but honestly I have never heard of cooler heatpipes loosing functional ability unless defective or damaged.

If you do decide to get a new cooler, Thermalright has some nice compact hi-performance coolers. One of the best is Frost Commander 140. It is a beast with 5x 8mm heatpipes in twin tower design measuring 140x121x158mm. With crossbat thumbscrew installed center fan increses height to about 162mm. I removed thumbsrew on mine so fan sets flush with top of finpack so 158mm tall.

Obviously new Ultra 120 eXtreme Rev.4 w/6x 6mm heatpipes is, well, extreme cooling ability in small 132x64x157mm (WxDxH) size. It's only 132x88x157mm with front fan and 132x114x158mm with 2x hi-performance TL-B12E 3150rpm extreme fans.

Another is Venemous Plus with 6x 6mm heatpipes in 127x60x158mm (WxDxH) size. It's only 127x87x158mm with fan.

Next are single tower coolers with 5x 6mm heatpipes like TA120 EX Mini 124x45x135mm (WxDxH) and 124x71x135mm w/ fan, Assassin King 120 Mini 5x 6mm heatpipes in 120x46x135mm (WxDxH) and 120x71x135mm w/ fan.

Thermalright also have a couple very good low profile coolers like AXP-90, AXP-100 and AXP-200 and of course lots of other big single and twin tower coolers.

Thermalright is now selling on Amazon.com
"Thermalright Direct" is seller name.
Had some very good deals until week ago, but hear there will be Black Friday sales. If you need a good cooler Black Friday sales on Amazon is worth checking out.