How economical would it be getting a Macbook?

buzzard34

Gawd
So I was looking at a MBP tonight at CompUSSR for shits and giggles, and to tell you the truth, I am pleasantly surprised how well it runs, especially with boot camp. I was impressed that it ran FEAR as well as my desktop. However, I am a poor college student (how many times have you heard that before :D ) and am wondering if its worth the investment to get one before next school year. I know Macs have a good resale value, and OSX seems to be the most stable OS in the world, but how can I justify the cost of a 2500 dollar laptop for school? especially since I am in engineering?! I hear the regular macbooks are coming out this summer, and I'm willing to look at those as long as they have similar specs to the MBPs, but I really need help in deciding if an apple is right for me. :(

The Macbooks are not going to have the same specs as the Pros, they're going to be lower end. My guess is the Macbooks are going to be X1300 video cards and probably Core Single on the low, Duo only on the top end.

with a college discount, the $2499 macbook pro would get (Ithink) $240 taken off...if that helps

Not an easy question to answer until we know the price and specs of the Macbook.

Based on an aggregation of the various rumours, it's possible that the Macbook -> MacbookPro performance gap won't be as big as the ibook -> powerbook difference.

Ultimately, wait and see, then get the one that best suits your needs/budget.

About the resale value, who actually sells old computers now a days? Anyone on this forum i'm sure can find many uses for old hardware. Your old desktop if you buy a macbook will turn into a media pc, or storage server, etc. in a couple years if you want a new computer, your macbook will still be around as a travel computer (no long risky/expensive), or a remote desktop computer to control your storage server, etc.

basically, don't factor in resale value unless you actually plan to resell your computer. And the new ibooks will most DEFINITELY have core duo chips and be strong competitors. there will atleast be a computer at around $1500 mark that will kick ass.

bahula03 said:
with a college discount, the $2499 macbook pro would get (Ithink) $240 taken off...if that helps
I was playing around with options on Apple's website the other day and got a 2ghz MBP configured for $2209

What are some comparable PC laptops in that price range? Would a PC laptop have better specs for that amount of money?

I'm contemplating getting a MBP as well or waiting for the regular Macbooks. Main reason being, I'm not too enamoured with the width of the MBP.

I'm waiting for the intel ibooks.. I'm wondering if they are doing anything special to it.. seeing as the MBP is a basically a powerbook with intel chips.. give or take a few other upgrades..

Back