How does WoW handle anti-aliasing?

I'm confused about how WoW handles AA. From what I gather WoW enables AA so long as 'full screen glow effect' and 'death effect' are turned off.

If that is true:

1.) What kind of AA is it?
2.) Is the setting user adjustable or is it available only from within the display control panel?
3.) If it is set from the display control panel does WoW automatically recognize it and disable its own AA algorithm?

Any answers to the above are greatly appreciated. :D

They call it 'multi-sampling' in the game. It's an actual option you can chose in the video setup menu.

From what I recall, it goes 2-4-6 samples.

I have an X800XT with all options maxed and 6x in-game AA enabled and I saw very little hit to performance. Plus the AA works with bloom enabled.

I swear I've looked at the video setup menu many times and there was no indication of multi-sampling anywhere. :confused:

Its is located where you chose the resolution. It will say in the resolution drop down menu:

1280x1024 2x multi-sampling
1280x1024 4x multi-sampling
etc
etc
etc

chiablo said:
They call it 'multi-sampling' in the game. It's an actual option you can chose in the video setup menu.

From what I recall, it goes 2-4-6 samples.

I have an X800XT with all options maxed and 6x in-game AA enabled and I saw very little hit to performance. Plus the AA works with bloom enabled.

Weird, I only get up to 4x on my 6800GT.

The full screen glow effect (in video options) and AA may not be compatible, so if AA does not appear to be working, try disabling this. If you have AA forced through your video drivers you will want to set AA to application preference.

Back