How Does The PS4 Differ From A High-End Gaming PC?

You could get close. You'd have to settle for DDR3 and not GDDR. But a new 7930 (7870 le) goes for around $200 new on sale. The rest can be had for cheap. CPU can be an alternative last-gen model.

Also, one of his cards (7950) is $260. Hardly "close" to the cost of the PS4.

Also, one of his cards (7950) is $260. Hardly "close" to the cost of the PS4.

Until we see actual video of a real, finalized PS4 playing a game, showing us what it's 1.84TFLOPS GPU can really do, everything stated is pure speculation.

Wow now everybody is a console expert it is nice to see all of you here, maybe you could have realized by posting "my gaming pc is better bla bla bla". That in no point in time was a gaming PC worse then consoles.

All the people yapping about that really shows that you have no clue whatsoever ....

A valid question considering last generation barley did 1080 if at all.

Not even. It was all for the most part 720p or lower then upped using scaling (Call of Duty renders at something like 680p). The number of 1080p titles could probably be counted on one hand and were mainly downloadable titles with cheap to render assets.

Not even. It was all for the most part 720p or lower then upped using scaling (Call of Duty renders at something like 680p). The number of 1080p titles could probably be counted on one hand and were mainly downloadable titles with cheap to render assets.

Wipeout HD fury says hi

There are so many things wrong with your statements.

Let's start with the price.

Rumoured to start at $429

And what you get for that.

8 Core Jaguar CPU (Rumoured to be at 2Ghz)
8GB of GDDR5 RAM,
1.84 T-FLOPS, AMD Radeon GPU (Closest I could find online is a GeForce 580 overclocked by 30%, that hits 1.85TFlops and between a Radeon HD 6850 and 6870 which are 1500 and 2000 GFlops respectively)
BluRay Drive,
Hard Drive sizes probably determines the price differences. My best guess is that the $429 model will have something like 250GB.
Gigabit, Wifi, Bluetooth

Can you build something like that with a $429 budget? Oh sorry. One of your cards alone nearly exceeds that.

Amd 8 core 3.1 ghz
8 gigabytes of ram
1.6 - 1.7 T flop 7850 with 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
(could beat the embedded card witth a nvidia 660 at 2 tflops but with 3 gigs of ram ) either way same price.
240 gig ssd hard drive
gigabyte wif blu tooth and what ever else i want through in it.
if amd card 3 free games farcry 3 blood dragon bioshock and tombraider
if nvida metro 2033
so what do i get

a faster machine . with near instant load times for games .
faster graphics
dedicated memory for my graphics card and os
and a over all better gaming experience

sure i going to pay more but i am getting more

but at 827.00 (and it could be even cheaper) it is a better machine and i have a back library of games that the ps4 can not even touch .

so yeah your lil budget machine finally gets you the power of todays pc.. welcome to modern gaming .

unfortunately come time of the ps4 you will be playing in the past again.

*snip*

but at 827.00 (and it could be even cheaper) it is a better machine and i have a back library of games that the ps4 can not even touch .

so yeah your lil budget machine finally gets you the power of todays pc.. welcome to modern gaming .

unfortunately come time of the ps4 you will be playing in the past again.

Way to miss the point.

What can you build for $429?

Couldn't care less if you can't build a $429 PC match the PS4, I'm just afraid I be stuck playing DX9.0c/32 bit games for ANOTHER 10 years. Innovation in hardware is necessary and PC gamers keep that alive... otherwise why bother, role back another 10 years with old technology...

It's what I'm worried about...

not missing the point you cant compare the systems on price . just on whats a better value for the dollar .

but i know your going to insist

so amd x4 965 3.4 ghz
8 gigs of ram
250 gb hard drive
and a nvidia geforce 650ti 2 gigabyte 1.5 tflops

470.00 dollars

well within the rumored price range of a ps4

and you can have that today with more games and quite possibly equivalent performance as the ps4 .

and thats a 3+ year old processor.

not missing the point you cant compare the systems on price . just on whats a better value for the dollar .

but i know your going to insist

so amd x4 965 3.4 ghz
8 gigs of ram
250 gb hard drive
and a nvidia geforce 650ti 2 gigabyte 1.5 tflops

470.00 dollars

well within the rumored price range of a ps4

and you can have that today with more games and quite possibly equivalent performance as the ps4 .

and thats a 3+ year old processor.
The Geforce 650 =/= 7850, as the 7850 wins out handily... and the PS4's GPU is supposed to be slightly faster than that 7850.

To make the comparison even more fair, you'll need to include the pricing of the case and PSU.

So, with this super-awesome technology will the consoles be able to play at 1080P@60FPS?

You know, something that a high-end PC are doing for almost 10 years now.

Wow now everybody is a console expert it is nice to see all of you here, maybe you could have realized by posting "my gaming pc is better bla bla bla". That in no point in time was a gaming PC worse then consoles.

All the people yapping about that really shows that you have no clue whatsoever ....

So, perhaps you can explain to us why are these theoretical numbers important. How does these theoretical numbers improve gaming experience?

That article is no different than the discussion here.

It's likely going to be selling at a loss, which makes it pretty difficult to beat. I think the PS3 was selling at something stupid like $200+ loss per unit at launch. I don't think the PS4 will be quite as absurd, but it's still unlikely to be profitable per unit.

At the time of the PS3, the cheap one was $400 and yes, you could build a PC to beat it for that price.

If you want to piss off someone, do a demo with a POS4 next to a PC, then bring two more TV's next to the one you use... and show them surround gaming.

and...I bet the PC won't die from overheating within the fist year of owning it (like my POS3 did).

The Geforce 650 =/= 7850, as the 7850 wins out handily... and the PS4's GPU is supposed to be slightly faster than that 7850.

To make the comparison even more fair, you'll need to include the pricing of the case and PSU.

Ok...$50 more...darn, POS4 cost less. (oh...wait, add taxes plus that pesky add on warranty plan from best buy...etc...POS4 cost more.)

Until we see actual video of a real, finalized PS4 playing a game, showing us what it's 1.84TFLOPS GPU can really do, everything stated is pure speculation.

The PSU in the unit should be better than some Deer based units, also better than a x2/Celeron. Also not run crap like Nuubuntu.

If you want to piss off someone, do a demo with a POS4 next to a PC, then bring two more TV's next to the one you use... and show them surround gaming.
You need serious hardware to do surround gaming well on anything recent. with lots of cards you can show more then 1 monitor, but you really can't play comfortably with 3 monitors without multi cards/a higher end card. Plus the "PoS" is better than about 95%+ of peoples systems on the Steam hardware survey and 99% of the PC market in general (Intel "HD" graphics). :p

Ok...$50 more...darn, POS4 cost less. (oh...wait, add taxes plus that pesky add on warranty plan from best buy...etc...POS4 cost more.)
"I'm going to buy a PS4 with a warranty plan from Best Buy" said no one from the PC community ever.

As a PC builder with no plans of purchasing a PS4, I was impressed by PS4's specifications, and yet to see a PC comparable to the specifications of a PS4 at similar costs.

Suppose that the PS4 debut in Fall 2013 for $500 (and this is the upper estimate), I don't see any combination of PC hardware listed that would give the system a performance edge over the PS4. People in this thread have been cutting corners in listing equivalent PC parts, often excluding crucial components. The list should include:

1. CPU
2. MOBO
3. RAM (this is debatable, as no one sells 8GB of GDDR5 RAM)
4. GPU
5. HDD
6. Case
7. PSU
8. At least a 6x Blu Ray Drive
9. WiFi

How does the PS4 differ from a high-end gaming computer?

I use a PC everyday for anything and everything where the console will just collect duct under my tv.

New game on pc? Better wait a few months for driver fixes to make games playable. Video card three years old? Sorry we aren't interested in optimizing for OLD gen. Also, here's some nasty always online DRM for you! glhf!

Okay, people, we get it:

We're on a PC Enthusiast website, you hate consoles; We fucking get it -- Stop squabbling like children. :rolleyes:

You can't blame the users here when the article in question started down this path. How did you expect the discussion would be? :)

Way to miss the point.

What can you build for $429?

What are you going to play on your $429 PS4 device? Launch titles and.... nothing else. The PS4 won't be backwards compatible with anything. No existing PSN games will work on it, PS3, PS2 and PS games won't work on it.

Honestly, unless you're obsessed with Uncharted and Killzone, you would probably would want to wait to see when the games actually start coming out for it. Because as Sony themselves said, only PS4 games will run on the PS4.

A game console is only as good as its games.

well, i for one think its all good for everyone who plays games on either platform.
sounds like sony and amd found a work around to address some of the limitations of the hardware in the console. As pc gamers we should be happy about that, i.e. better ports.
excited to see what microsoft has come up with.
very excited to see the new games coming out!
its all good

List of games we know so far...

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Watch Dogs

The Evil Within
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Thief

Cyberpunk 2077

TBA

Blacklight: Retribution
Carmageddon: Reincarnation
Deep Down (working title)
Destiny
Diablo III
Driveclub
Knack
Lord of the Fallen
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Rocketbirds 2: Evolution
The Witness

You mention mostly exceptions, and as far as 3yr old video cards, is a load of crap I am playing games with cards older than that with settings still better than consoles the same age. DRM, that's vendor specific, and with a console it's always DRM, no choice. Also for console MP games, when they take down your multiplayer server after a couple of years, have fun with that. I can still play CS or HL, etc... YEARS on in some cases a DECADE LATER...

New game on pc? Better wait a few months for driver fixes to make games playable. Video card three years old? Sorry we aren't interested in optimizing for OLD gen. Also, here's some nasty always online DRM for you! glhf!

I'm more excited about the Valve's Steam Box rather than the Xbox and PS4 combined.

PCs have numerous exceptions, consoles have real exceptions. DRM on consoles doesn't get in the way. Most people don't care about playing decade old multiplayer.

Also, show me a $500 PC from 2005 or 2006 on which will have a gaming experience as enjoyable as on an Xbox 360 or PS3.

My point is that consoles get better with age. Unlike PCs which get abandoned and which, by design, are not optimized for past their generation so you don't eke the value out of the hardware.

That isn't true at all. It may not be out of the gate but durring Sony's reveal earlier this year they said it would be.
To take it a step further .. the BC appears to be from digital downloads as best as I can research right now. So it very well should be there but not right away.

That isn't true at all. It may not be out of the gate but durring Sony's reveal earlier this year they said it would be.

Eventually. The reason Backwards compatibility is important is to get the gamers through the first year when there's the least about of games expected to be coming out. 2 years into a console's life, backwards compatibility isn't going to be nearly as impactful, because the console is supposed to have a full catalog by that point.

List of games we know so far...

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Watch Dogs

The Evil Within
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Thief

Cyberpunk 2077

TBA

Blacklight: Retribution
Carmageddon: Reincarnation
Deep Down (working title)
Destiny
Diablo III
Driveclub
Knack
Lord of the Fallen
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Rocketbirds 2: Evolution
The Witness

Just hope you don't see any major delays or dissapointments. You don't want the game you're most looking forward to turn into the next ZombiU disaster.

Eventually. The reason Backwards compatibility is important is to get the gamers through the first year when there's the least about of games expected to be coming out. 2 years into a console's life, backwards compatibility isn't going to be nearly as impactful, because the console is supposed to have a full catalog by that point.

I'll need to dig up the article. but Sony said they have about 3000 games already in their streaming/cloud service .. where you get screwed is if you have discs since they can't support that with the change of architecture.

One very important difference it that a PC isn't completely crippled by DRM. Can you run Linux on the PS4?

Or the lack of being able to upgrade parts, this thing will already be a dinosaur when it gets to the shelves.

Owning a high end pc is like owning a sports car. do we need them hell yes we do. does every one who doesn't have then think we need one, of course not. They say ours is just as good because they get us to the same place as your sports car.

they don't get that its not about the destination its about the ride.

though every one from analysts to salesmen will tell them that only the destination matters and they can get them there for cheaper.

hence the most statement, since MOST wont have that.

The article is about onboard graphics. If you use a separate graphics board, none of this is an issue. Also, PCIE 2.0 is 16 GB/s, which is only 4 short of the PS4.

I will evaluate consoles when they come out based on reviews and reports after release on performance, cost, and features... Performance is probably the last factor I considers unless its slow and annoying.

Lets face it xbox/PS are usually within 10% of each other when it comes to performance and graphics. Its everything else you really should be judging your purchase on, well unless that 10% of image performance is more important then anything else...

Personally the media features is probably what will decide the console choice, another big one is online fees. Xbox requires a paid fee access to use even Netflix, that is a downside for me personally. PS doesn't automatically update unless you pay, which is currently the most annoying thing PS3 currently does for me at least.

I have the choice to play older PC games if I want (which any gamer that has been around long enough likes to do from time to time). Also I don't have to re-purchase "nostalgia" games to play on a console.

I have PC's that do just fine, and at higher resolution that then 360 or PS3. I can migrate parts over multiple PC's to prolong their lifespan, try that with a console. Maybe you abandon your PC's but I think most folks here get the most out of their PC's than any console user.

The console wins on price point only because it is heavily subsidized. Which is then made up for by your $60 game cost vs. $50 for most PC games.

Consoles don't get better (since the tech is not upgradable), the programmers who make the games have to learn new tricks. It's not the same.

I get more value out of my PC's than any console. I can upgrade, transfer parts, etc... I have 10 PC's at home that are all functioning and can be used for gaming. What the heck do you do with your PC's just junk it after a year?

Oh yeah, and I can use my gaming PC, as a PC.

Btw I also own and have running, 3 360's, a PS3, Wii, Xbox, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and an Atari 2600. I have been console gaming since the home version of Pong in the 70's. So I am not some PC elitist.

The only advantage the console has is entry cost, since the manufacturer takes a loss on every one made for several years. Which you then get to pay the $10 extra on the software.

I will take my multi-purpose PC, and cheaper game costs over that any day.

PCs have numerous exceptions, consoles have real exceptions. DRM on consoles doesn't get in the way. Most people don't care about playing decade old multiplayer.

Also, show me a $500 PC from 2005 or 2006 on which will have a gaming experience as enjoyable as on an Xbox 360 or PS3.

My point is that consoles get better with age. Unlike PCs which get abandoned and which, by design, are not optimized for past their generation so you don't eke the value out of the hardware.

Has anyone mentioned that maybe the PS4 is going to be selling at a loss to Sony so they can move more of them?

Also, I doubt Sony is paying the same prices we are via Amazon or the Egg for parts... This whole argument is silly.

I would be happy if they added Kb/Mouse action to the PS4 or Xbox. No reason not to!

Back