How does the Nano display song titles with analog FM stations?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Last year I rented a car and what I found amazing was that it could display song titles even though the radio appeared to be totally analog. Apparently the iPod Nano can do just the same. Where is it getting the information from? Is it being broadcast over the analog frequency or is it tapping into a digital spectrum somewhere?

It's included in a subchannel in the FM signal, yep... and yes it's still analog. Not every station has caught up with the technology but, for the most part if it's a popular FM station in your area, it'll offer that capability.

Wow, this has been a standard in the US since 2000? It is amazing that only a few radios even today support it.

Wow, this has been a standard in the US since 2000? It is amazing that only a few radios even today support it.

It's been a standard feature even in mass-market cars like the Camry, Fusion etc for a while now. These days it's hard to find a car that doesn't have it.

I think GM was one of the early adopters. I know my 2006 Mazda doesn't have it but my wife's 2003 Pontiac sure does.

WOW, my newish LG cellphone has it.

Didn't realize it was that old, wish my 2005 Acura had it :(

My girlfriend's 2001 chevy malibu had it, but her 2008 volkswagen jetta doesn't. Seems rather hit or miss.

It's actually kind of annoying, because of the technology, it's limited to 8 characters at a time, that wasn't so bad in my last car (03 Lincoln LS) but my 08 Astra has a large screen that just makes it look silly. And of course this one doesn't let you disable it.

Also, when I save a preset it saves whatever text was on the screen at the time - which is very annoying.

My Kenwood eXcelon allows me to define which items to display where on its screen. Unfortunately, the "RDS" item only seems to display the static station name (PS?). The dynamic title/artist info (RT?) is always displayed on the half-line after the frequency. It's really annoying that I can constantly see "New Rock Alternative" but I have to wait 30 seconds for the title and artist to finally scroll by.

And to add to the list, my very base model '09 Cobalt supports it. Base model meaning three options - "Protection Package" (floor mats and bodyside moldings), rear spoiler, and spare tire.

Good old RDS.

I find it stupid that most radios dont have it, at least most car companies are finally putting it in their radios now. I dont get why more home stereos and such dont include it.

It's actually kind of annoying, because of the technology, it's limited to 8 characters at a time, that wasn't so bad in my last car (03 Lincoln LS) but my 08 Astra has a large screen that just makes it look silly. And of course this one doesn't let you disable it.

Also, when I save a preset it saves whatever text was on the screen at the time - which is very annoying.

Yup, that is why there is now HD Radio, which solves all that for the most part.

Zune is about the only device I've seen that makes worthwhile use of the data.

Oddly enough, my 2003 Mazda 6 supports it just fine. And that's with the base model stereo.

That's great for you, but my 2008 Mazda 3 with a non-base stereo doesn't seem to support this. :(

Back