How does SSID password changes work without RJ45?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
So when we setup a new router, and the laptop has no RJ45 port, the router allows the user to login remotely w/ the password on the box

But you can change your SSID and its pwd. What I don't get is, the moment you are changing it, how can you be connect to it in the first place? is it the "chicken and the egg" scenario?

So when we setup a new router, and the laptop has no RJ45 port, the router allows the user to login remotely w/ the password on the box

But you can change your SSID and its pwd. What I don't get is, the moment you are changing it, how can you be connect to it in the first place? is it the "chicken and the egg" scenario?
In most wireless AP implementations I've experienced, you do disconnect after your hit apply, especially if the AP has to restart. Then you have to manually reconnect and enter the new PW via whatever wireless manager you are using. There are security reasons for doing this.

However, newer stuff might be smart enough to reconnect automatically (it has the SSID and password still in the client's memory after all), although this is tricky from a browser page as they are sandboxed and don't typically interact with the OS for things like wireless connectivity.

Also, multiple SSIDs can be ran over the same radio even if the wireless AP in question only ever allows you to configure one SSID. The AP's old SSID might be kept alive long enough for the existing client until it finally disconnects. However, the AP probably stopped broadcasting the old SSID and accepting any new connections the moment you hit apply.

These are just educated guesses.

well I figure they must have a way to fix this. As they have to expect a non IT person will be buying router and set it up themselves. And not everyone has desktop. So this scenario must come up

You login, input the new SSID and Password, hit apply, will be disconnected and then reconnect to the new SSID like a new wifi network…

Has literally been this way since they very first home wireless aps

This is why I got a cheap 100Mb usb to wired ethernet adapter many years ago. :D

Reactions: Axman
like this
This is why I got a cheap 100Mb usb to wired ethernet adapter many years ago. :D
But you dont need one?
As posted above, you log in using the included info , then change, hit apply, and then "reconnect" to your new SSID with your new password...

Easy...

And if it doesnt work, reset and start again

Last edited:
But you dont need one?
As posted above, you log in using the included info , then change, hit apply, and then "reconnect" to your new SSID with your new password...

Easy...

And if it doesnt work, reset and start again
I've seen buggy firmwares have issues with this, so just easier to go wired and bypass any potential issues.

Back