How does Sharepoint work?

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't really messed with Sharepoint at all and when I did it seemed like you had to manually add the files.

Say on the server we have a share called Documents (\\server\storage\documents)..

1) Can you put all these files on the Sharepoint site? And how?
2) Now users they can load up the site download the files right?
3) These users can open a document from the Sharepoint site, modify it and then save it back to the site?
4) They can create a new document and save to Sharepoint?

Being that we have been pushing out alot of SBS 08, wouldn't mind learning more bout this. Especially since I have some satelite office setups coming up.

Thanks,
Dan

Comeon consultants, so many people post about it, give me answers!

1) Can you put all these files on the Sharepoint site? And how?
2) Now users they can load up the site download the files right?
3) These users can open a document from the Sharepoint site, modify it and then save it back to the site?
4) They can create a new document and save to Sharepoint?

disclaimer: I hate Sharepoint, feels like a neutered version of mediawiki in a lot of ways to me (matter of what I used first I guess...).

1) Yes. Save to share location.
2) Yes.
3) Yes (based on permissions for that file/user)
4) Yes (based on permissions for that file/user)

can you expand on this? anyone have a tutorial?

I want to know how to add a full directory of files to the sharepoint site. and how to modify the permisions.

I use SharePoint at work but I didn't build it or anything like that...

Permissions are set according to a site's membership. I don't have full admin on my current one so I can't tell you how to change it. It's pretty self-explanatory though from past experience. Most of that stuff is found under "site settings".

If you want to upload a whole folder just create the folder on the site and then do a multiple file upload. Honestly, SharePoint is really simple to use if you can read. Since most of the people are remote we rely on it heavily to store network drawings and other documents. It works quite well IMO.

so i actually have to log into shareporint and add the files?

see the thing I want.

say I have a folder called Public Documents. This client I may want to use it on, has 2 satelite offices. If the main office adds documents to that share locally through say Word, and Open the share, I want that update to go onto sharepoint.

Does it work like that?

I'm not sure what you are explaining is possible or not.

However, the whole point of SharePoint is so that you don't have to muck around with folders on file systems and individual permissions on files. By doing that you are kind of defeating the purpose of the SharePoint portal site which is a common interface for uploading, sharing, checking out and editing files.

I'd suggest heading over to Microsoft's website and learning more about the product's features to see if it really suits your needs.

it sounds like you want DFS, not sharepoint?

If you want files to replicate to the remote offices, use DFS on the servers. I don't think you have a "drop box folder" for sharepoint, the files need to be added to sharepoint manually. It's likely possible to write a powershell script or something to do a batch upload of new files, but I don't think it's automated in the fashion you are looking for.

Back