How does PS4 perform as a Plex/media streamer?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope this is the most appropriate place to post this. I've had a 2nd gen Apple TV, 1st gen Fire TV Stick and now a 2nd gen one. I'm considering getting a PS4 slim, as there's a good 6/7 games I'd like to play AND it seems like it would be a stronger Plex/Netflix player than the 2nd gen Fire TV stick. It is very hard to find consoles compared to dedicated player devices though, what I find doesn't really answer my questions on the PS4 performance.

So, can anyone here illuminate what sort of performance I can expect from PS4 when playing local Plex files and Netflix? I'm guessing it'd be better than the little TV stick, but I find no evidence. If the performance is better/faster, then I would buy it now. If it's not, and I were just buying it for the games, I'd probably wait until black friday this fall.

Any information/opinions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

It works great, my only complaint is you can't bitstream atmos tracks from your server and it has no ir receiver for universal remotes like my Xbox does. In its defence my Xbox one wouldn't either, but beyond that it works great for plex YouTube and Netflix.

If you need atmos playback that's not off a bluray look at an htpc

I don't have dolby atmos, so no worries on that front. Thanks for your help!

I also use Plex on my ps4. I have it hard wire to my router and it has no issues with 20-30gb bluray rips.

Use a PS4 fatty in my living room for media and gaming. All non 4k. My only dislike is how loud the fan is, unknown if the slims are any quieter though

Use a PS4 fatty in my living room for media and gaming. All non 4k. My only dislike is how loud the fan is, unknown if the slims are any quieter though

The slims are significantly quieter from the Youtube vids I've seen comparing them to the original PS4. But my PS4 I got last year (dunno model number, but I know there were a few revisions after launch and before the slims came out) when Uncharted 4 launched was considerably quieter than the launch PS4 as well; it would occasionally turn the fan up to where I could hear it but when it did it would stay up for at least a few mins and be moderately loud. I've since replaced it with a PS4 Pro and it's even quieter, as it very rarely spins the fan up loud enough to where I can hear it. But in the comparisons I've seen on Youtube, the slims are pretty much silent even after hours of gaming and never spins the fan up to an audible level.

I use mine as my central entertainment hub (Amazon, Netflix, Plex, Games, etc.) and can't find any downsides that I use it for.

I have a Sony W950b so it's remote works with the PS4 Pro/PS4 Slim like any DualShock 4 would and rewinds/fast forwards, stops/plays, etc.

It used to suck before they implemented standby for Games when switching between video/games.

I stream 10GB rips over WiFi without issue.

I do wish the UI and app loading was faster with a SSD but there isn't much of a difference which sucks. Probably because of the Jaguar CPU or bandwidth limitations.

The slims are significantly quieter from the Youtube vids I've seen comparing them to the original PS4. But my PS4 I got last year (dunno model number, but I know there were a few revisions after launch and before the slims came out) when Uncharted 4 launched was considerably quieter than the launch PS4 as well; it would occasionally turn the fan up to where I could hear it but when it did it would stay up for at least a few mins and be moderately loud. I've since replaced it with a PS4 Pro and it's even quieter, as it very rarely spins the fan up loud enough to where I can hear it. But in the comparisons I've seen on Youtube, the slims are pretty much silent even after hours of gaming and never spins the fan up to an audible level.

Got my wife an early birthday present today(1tb slim) and yes they are much quieter than the fattys

Back