How Does My HTPC Build Look?

Another dumb question. I have an infocus X1 projector...will blue rays play on it or will the HDCP crap make it so it wont?

BTW, my X1 doesnt have a DVI input but rather VGA if this matters...

Well it doesn't support HDCP but I don't think that's an issue. At most it just down rezs the image but I don't know if any discs actually have that enabled.
That projector doesn't even support HD resolutions. Not even widescreen. So for you there is no point in blu-rays. I'd get a new projector fast. You can get the Panasonic AX200 for under $1000. While not 1080p it is 720p and an excellent projector. I have a Panasonic AX100 that's still going strong. Hell, I have a Panasonic AE700u sitting in a closet. You want to buy it?

Well it doesn't support HDCP but I don't think that's an issue. At most it just down rezs the image but I don't know if any discs actually have that enabled.
That projector doesn't even support HD resolutions. Not even widescreen. So for you there is no point in blu-rays. I'd get a new projector fast. You can get the Panasonic AX200 for under $1000. While not 1080p it is 720p and an excellent projector. I have a Panasonic AX100 that's still going strong. Hell, I have a Panasonic AE700u sitting in a closet. You want to buy it?

How old is it/how many hrs on the bulb? Asking price?

Nevermind i just picked up a 40" 1080P LCD tonight. Will either order my HPTC parts this week, OR wait for the Athlon II X3/4 that is rumored to come out in September.. I'll keep everyone up-to-date. Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited:
Nope. Not for the extra cost over a regular HDD. The only thing it would help is the boot time.

Thanks, thats great i did that I couldn't seem to find a clear answer. Some said it means the RAM can over clock easier, some said it means it has a special heat sink. Anyone wanna clear this up?

It's just marketing BS. Don't spend any extra cash for SLI ready RAM. Just a total waste of money.

As for the HEC case you linked to, the PSU is crap but might suitable for a low power HTPC.

It's just marketing BS. Don't spend any extra cash for SLI ready RAM. Just a total waste of money.

As for the HEC case you linked to, the PSU is crap but might suitable for a low power HTPC.

Well the RAM was 35 dollars for 4 gb, so i went with it. Yeah i though the PSU was junk too, if it is Ill just have to bite the bullet and order a better one.

Heres the final build that I ordered:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model

ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

OCZ NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

hec Black 0.7mm Thickness SECC Steel 7KJ9 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case w/270W Power Supply - Retail

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06 - OEM

ENCORE ENLWI-G(2) TPCI Standard Universal Add-in card Compliant with PCI 2.0 Wireless Adapter - Retail

Rosewill 6 ft. HDMI Cable Model RC-6-HDMI-MM-BK - Retail

Rosewill 18" Serial ATA II cable with metal latch, Model RC-18"-SA2-90-BK, Black - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

Ouch, such a waste. You could have gone with the AMD Athlon II X2 240 for $20 cheaper and you wouldn't have notice a performance difference between the two CPUs with HTPC duties.

Also, Windows Vista Business is virtually useless for an HTPC since it does not include Vista Media Center. Could have saved $50 by going with Windows Vista Home Premium which is significantly more suitable for HTPC duties due to its inclusion of Vista Media Center.

Then you could have used the $80 towards a better case/PSU combo like the Antec NSK2480 case.

Ouch, such a waste. You could have gone with the AMD Athlon II X2 240 for $20 cheaper and you wouldn't have notice a performance difference between the two CPUs with HTPC duties.

Also, Windows Vista Business is virtually useless for an HTPC since it does not include Vista Media Center. Could have saved $50 by going with Windows Vista Home Premium which is significantly more suitable for HTPC duties due to its inclusion of Vista Media Center.

Then you could have used the $80 towards a better case/PSU combo like the Antec NSK2480 case.

Point 1, you may have me on.

Point 2, i went with business so windows 7 upgrade will be the middle version with XP backwards compatability.

You should have just waited for windows 7 to come out and buy the pro version since it will come with media center and installed the RC for the time being.

Point 2, i went with business so windows 7 upgrade will be the middle version with XP backwards compatability.
Do you actually need that feature?

You should have just waited for windows 7 to come out and buy the pro version since it will come with media center and installed the RC for the time being.

Another good option. However you can't download the RC from MS' website anymore. Might have to go through another source.

Do you actually need that feature?

Another good option. However you can't download the RC from MS' website anymore. Might have to go through another source.

Well a little too late now. Windows 7 Professional is what I'll be getting though with my coupon in a couple of months and that will have what I need. Just have to wait a bit

I have an issue when installing windows vista

It hangs when it shows the blueish green background... any reason why it would do this? Windows XP seems to start installing just fine...

Ok this is weird now my TV is flickering like crazy...not a refresh flicker but blinking on and off :( any ideas?

To be honest I and I am sure many others do not care about your results. You went off and got a less useful OS after being told about its issues before. There is nothing more to be said. Enjoy your HTPC for whatever it is worth and start a new thread the next time you build one but there are more important threads that could actually use help please let this one drop.

To be honest I and I am sure many others do not care about your results. You went off and got a less useful OS after being told about its issues before. There is nothing more to be said. Enjoy your HTPC for whatever it is worth and start a new thread the next time you build one but there are more important threads that could actually use help please let this one drop.

Fine, I wont post anymore. Thanks!!!

You the internet police? :rolleyes:

Ok this is weird now my TV is flickering like crazy...not a refresh flicker but blinking on and off :( any ideas?

if it's of any interest I had (have actually) the same problem with my HTPC. Pretty sure it's because of my crappy Westinghouse TV. With two HDMI inputs the HTPC signal keeps flicking on and off, maybe 1 Hz.. Pull out the STB cable and it's fine. Found some people with the same problems on these TVs. Only solution is a new TV I think, which I want anyway :D

If a bios flash solved it that's great.

I took a picture of my setup, I know Zachstar will especially like seeing this update ;)

HTPC.jpg

Back