How does Bad Company 2 run for you?

all settings high, 4xaa, 8xaf HBAO off, 1920x1080 I get 30-100+ FPS rig in sig

Anyone try it on a 7800GS or similarly powered X1900? A friend of mine is a recipient of my hand-me-down hardware and just about meets the minimum requirements. But my past experiences with "minimum requirements" taught me that those specs are just enough to launch the game, not enjoy it.

Anyhow the kid has my old 7800GS (AGP) and a Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott. Heh...

On my rig (in sig) I play at 1680x1050 with 0xAA 16xAF all settings on high. Can do 30+ fps with infrequent chop.

Runs great for me. I turn HBAO off when playing online, but everything else is set to max

Q9550
4gb ram
HD5850
1920x1080

On my stock e8400 and 4850, I can play the game at 1280x1024 on all high except shadows and HBAO with 2xAA with an average of 40 fps.

I cant hit 60 no matter how low i push the settings, potential cpu bottleneck?

Im having the same problems... my E8400 is working its butt off with medium settings and 2xAA.... This is saddly the first game ive played where the E8400 is hurting me :(

running at 5760x1080 DX11 everything high, HBAO off, 1x MSAA, 4x AF and getting 45+ fps in multiplayer.

@OP, my brother has almost the same rig as you and I think he's running 1920x1080, HBAO off, everything high, no AA, 4x AF.

running at 5760x1080 DX11 everything high, HBAO off, 1x MSAA, 4x AF and getting 45+ fps in multiplayer.

Pretty close to how I'm running..

6064x1080, DX 11, everything high, HBAO off, 1x MSAA, 16X AF.. average of 40 fps in multiplayer.

Bezel compensation in the 10.3 drivers makes it even better.. (hence the odd resolution)

All settings high, 4xaa, 8xaf, HBAO off, 1680x1050 I'm getting 30-50 fps. Funny thing is, I tried with DX9 and DX11 but my framerate seems the same. Starting to wonder if, like the other posts, my overclocked E8500 is the bottleneck? :confused:

Game seems to run alright for me. Everything at medium with no AA (which has never bothered me anyway) no HBAO. Everything else at default on a 1680x1050 screen at native res.

E8400 stock (for some reason wont keep overclock settings, wont go beyond 3.55 anyway)
HD 4870 512
4GB ram
2x WD Blue 640 in raid 0

1600x1200 Everything HIGH
2xAA
16X AF
HBAO = OFF

65-100FPS on the ground running
55-85 in firefight
Can get down to 26FPS with large explosions right in my face with lots of smoke but only for 2-3 secs tops. Running the system in my sig.

I have everything set to high, 4xAA/16xAF, HBAO and vysnc off and it's very playable (rig in sig). I haven't loaded up fraps to check the actual numbers though.

Definitely was a bit of a boost in frame rate from the beta to retail.

Edit: Durr, I should probably mention res too. 1680x1050

I have everything set to high with 4x AA 16x AF. HBAO is off.

1900x1200

Runs like buttah.

Rig in sig.

sadly doesnt run as good as i had hoped. get average of 30fps, some drops in nasty firefights and explosions, still playable enough though.

1680X1050, detail & textures at medium, everything else low and off. no AA or AF.

hopefully its the poor old athlon showing its age, getting a quadcore in 2 or 3 weeks, hopefully will improve game play.

Anyone using something similar in performance to an 8800GT 512MB?

Rig:
Q6600
8800GT 512
4 GB RAM

I would guess my post on the first page would fit your bill, and yours should run better considering I hear the game is optimized for quad core.

Last edited:
Something is certainly up with this game, I know my system isn't recent however there are some odd things going on for sure. For a lot of people setting DxVersion=auto (autos to DX10 if your system is DX10 capable) to DxVersion=9 fixes their lag issues.

My system:

8800GT stock
E6750 @ 3.2GHz
GA-P35-DS3R
2 GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Can't run in DX10, unplayable in multi player, haven't tried single. Once I force DX9 in the settings.ini I can max the game out. Minus AA and HBAO of course as those are DX10 only.

Now I see people saying CPUs are a bottleneck in this game, and I understand the way this game was coded was for the CPU to handle a lot of the load. However a friend of mine with nearly the exact same system can basically max the settings out, only at 4x AA and HBAO off. The only differences are he has a slightly slower CPU and a GA-P35-DS3L. How is it that he can run in DX10 with no frame rate issues?

It seriously drops my fps by half, players teleporting all over, jerky movements etc. Other people on the BC2 forums are having the same issues.

Runs perfectly for me. Everything maxed, DX10 at 3600x5700 Eyefinity.

What's perfect for you in terms of average and min fps roughly (if you have been tracking it)?

I have one 5870 at the moment and find dx10 at all low settings to give me the most acceptable fps (ave in the 70s low in intense scenes probably in the 40s) at 5760x1200. Can't find any stats on what 2 5870s would do with eyefinity.

I'm running at 1920x1080 with everything set to high or on. Not sure about HBAO. The game runs smooth as far as I can tell with my eye. So much that I don't really care to bother with actually measuring my framerate. I do see some screen tearing at times. Is this because I have V sync turned off?

Also I've got a Radeon 5870. How do I tell what version of DirectX is being used? What version should the game be using, 10 or 11?

Also I've got a Radeon 5870. How do I tell what version of DirectX is being used? What version should the game be using, 10 or 11?

It will run dx11 by default as the game and your card supports it. If you want to change it you can in settings.ini which is in the bfbc2 folder in my documents. Just change dxversion=auto to dxversion=9/10 to see what the different renderers are like.

Well you can try it out and see if the performance boost is worth the loss in image quality...

I run at 9 vs. 10 with the GTX260 just because it runs so much smoother...

Well you can try it out and see if the performance boost is worth the loss in image quality...

I run at 9 vs. 10 with the GTX260 just because it runs so much smoother...

+1

I've started running the game in DX9 as DX10 seems unstable for me. The speed increase is very noticible and no input lag. I'm starting to finish close to the top of the scoreboards now, so much easier to aim now things are smooth, apart from the lack of AA with the crosshair at distance

How do you if you're running dx9 or 10?

In settings.ini just says auto. I'm guessing it runs 10.1 since im using an ATI 4870.

How do you if you're running dx9 or 10?

In settings.ini just says auto. I'm guessing it runs 10.1 since im using an ATI 4870.

Auto will run 10, if you put a 9 instead of auto then it'll run 9. You'll be able to tell by using AA, DX9 has no support for this

Looks expensive (gpu intensive wise).

I sure hope so :D

Core i7 920 @ 3.9ghz ASUS P6T Lapped!
12GB SuperTalent DDR3 1600 - 2x 640GB WD RAID 0 Lapped!
PowerColor 2x 5870 EV Liquid Cooled Crossfire 1024MB Lapped!
Eyefinity NEC 3x LCD2470WNX Lapped!
Gigabyte 3D Mercury Case Liquid - Antec Quattro 1000W Lapped!
Win7 64 Lapped! <-wut :p
ASUS G73jh-A1 upgraded
Grizzly H2934 32" Industrial Belt Sander FTW

I know it, I start cracking up when someone has a mid range rig and is asking for figures and someone rolls in with 2-4 of the latest and greatest videocards and is like.. DUDE RUNS GREAT FOR ME !

Runs way better than I expected on an E7200 @ 3.8ghz, 6GB RAM, P35 DS3L rev2 board, Powercolor 5850 @ stock, it's just smooth. Really surprised after all I read beforehand.

This is @ 1680 x 1050 with 4 x AA, 16 x AF, all settings maxed except for shadows, which are at at medium, and HBAO on.

runs it well enough for what I need

in single player, ran it max at 1680*1050, DX9 with an E8500 @ 4.1 and 4870 512, 815/900

in multiplayer, run it at 1680*1050, DX9 with High Level of Detail/Textures, Low Shadows/Effects, HBAO off, AA off, AF 16X. never look at the FPS counter. would be nice if I could play with 2X AA, but I'm using XP and not considering an OS change to Windows 7 until I get a DX11 card (which I'm not in a hurry to do).

1920x1200 everything on High, 2xAA, 8xAF, HBAO off, VSYNC on and I'm over 60FPS. :D

1920x1200, 2x AA, 16x AF, HBAO on, DX10; 35-45 fps average. Looks great!

Last edited:
For singleplayer, I run everything maxed at 1920*1200, with V-Sync and forcing Triple Buffering with DxOverider, and I average around 55-60, with dips only to 30 or so. For multiplayer, I run at 1920*1200 with everything at high except HBAO which is turned off. I also drop the AA to 2X and AF to 8X. I average 60-70(no v-sync) and only get dips down to 45-50.

For singleplayer, I run everything maxed at 1920*1200, with V-Sync and forcing Triple Buffering with DxOverider, and I average around 55-60, with dips only to 30 or so. For multiplayer, I run at 1920*1200 with everything at high except HBAO which is turned off. I also drop the AA to 2X and AF to 8X. I average 60-70(no v-sync) and only get dips down to 45-50.

I'm surprised its that bad. I run similar settings on a 4870 512mb, except HBAO on and AA off and get an average of about 75-85 with drops down to about 55-60. Maybe the game really likes my i5? I haven't even overclocked it yet ;)

I'm surprised its that bad. I run similar settings on a 4870 512mb, except HBAO on and AA off and get an average of about 75-85 with drops down to about 55-60. Maybe the game really likes my i5? I haven't even overclocked it yet ;)

I'm running at 8xAA with adaptive multisampling(transparent texture AA). HBAO also takes it's toll. I'm shocked it doesn't dip even lower. My singleplayer should be higher, but I'm using V-sync which caps my frame-rates. Without it, I was averaging towards 70, but had screen tearing.

My frame-rates for multiplayer are from the Beta as I haven't played online since. Given the adjustments made before the release, I'd probably get 5-10% higher frame-rates.

Ok, i think i found the common denominator here,

Everyone that posted said they had a quad core processor, and only have a core 2 duo. Also, the box says recommended settings is a quad core, so that must be it.
Not only that but this game loves RAM. Just like when BF2 came out, you had to have a minimum of 2 Gig of RAM to enjoy playable framerates without the game glitching while it writes to your hard disk page file.

BFBC2 you need a minimum of 4 gig of RAM also. My RAM usage on my box is about 3.8 gig with BFBC2, Windows 7, and Steam running.

DICE is not kidding on the recommended system specs. You can get away with the minimum specs for single player, but NOT multiplayer.

The game runs buttery smooth on medium settings with my main rig in my sig. I also have a slower AMD quad-core and a HD4850, not a blazing fast i7 and a high end video card.

I'm now running these settings for stability and fluidity. I don't really care how great it looks as long as I feel in control with fast framerate rather than a stutterfest. Any DX10 settings are laggy, some sort of input lag going on. It's surprising how much I have improved now things are smooth. Coupled with low ping UK only servers, I'll be killing DX10 and DX11 users before they even know it.

DX9
Bloom off
HBAO off
Vsync off
Detail - medium
Texture detail - medium
Shadows - medium
Water - medium
Sound - low (big improvement in performance and sounds the same to me)
FOV 75
No AA
4 AF
Mouse sensitivity 3/4
Sound set to headset
Soundcard set to 44MHz 16 bit (performance increase)
Taken AC3 filter off (another increase in performance)

For those ppl running EyeFinity and getting acceptable performance, are you using CrossFire?

Back