How Does A Photocopier Become A Trumpet?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did any of you guys know that they use recycled photocopiers to make trumpets and other musical instruments? Well, thanks to The Science Channel, now you do. You learn something new every day. ;)

That's just damn cool. Nothing like a good Brass section. 5lbs. of brass in a copier. Sweet.

Soooo....would it make more sense to mine the gold rather than the copper from the typical copier? What is gold these days, $1250 an ounce? and Cu is what $2.10.oz? Just putting that out there.

Edit:

Unless through the magic of chemistry they are doing both?

Soooo....would it make more sense to mine the gold rather than the copper from the typical copier? What is gold these days, $1250 an ounce? and Cu is what $2.10.oz? Just putting that out there.

Edit:

Unless through the magic of chemistry they are doing both?

probably doing both though most of the gold is in the circuit boards which are usually pretty easy to remove before dumping them into the shredder. but you also have to consider costs into reclaiming that gold then smelting it and removing any impurities in the gold(i'm going to assume most gold in modern computers isn't pure gold anymore).

I swear I saw this on how it is made years ago. They just tacked on the copier bit at the beginning. I thought they were actually going to use a roller or something from an actual unit. The copper they used is from all sorts of shit combined not just a single copier like I was expecting. All the other bits they don't use probably do get passed on to other recyclers. Somebodies getting the gold out.

Yeah, this is just how it's made with the copier recycling bit at the beginning. It's not like they're turning a copier into a trumpet, they're just recycling the bits which is fine... but not as impressive.

Maybe in the next one they'll tell us what they start with to make a rusty trombone?

Back