How do you write network documentation?

Concentric

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm writing network documentation and I'm wondering about the best way to lay out the information.

I could just write it all in one long document, but it becomes difficult to format in a consistent way and keep track of everything.

I would like it to be organised and presentable so that it's easy to see if something is missing and someone doesn't have to trawl through pages and pages of a document to find what they need.

I was thinking of using XML to organise the information and apply a stylesheet to present it.
For example, the XML would look something like:
Code:
<site>
	<server>
		<type>
			Physical
		</type>		
		<makemodel>
			HP Proliant DL120 G7
		</makemodel>
		<serialnum>
			ABCDEFG12345
		</serialnum>
		<specs>
			<CPU>
				Xeon E3-1220	
			</CPU>
			<RAM>
				16GB
			</RAM>
... etc

But the more information I add, the more work it would be to maintain.
I would need to keep track of what XML elements I've used and update the stylesheet to display things properly. What if someone comes along later to add something and they don't know how to edit stylesheets? FAIL.

How do you write your documentation and keep it all manageable? I'm guessing most people just stick it in a Word document or on a Wiki?
Is there a neat method (or maybe even software package?) out there that I should consider?

I use KB publisher as a knowledge base, organize it by client/general/internal

Write standard articles, visio's and whatever documentation will help whoever do whatever they need.

as much as i can't stand visio...

we use that as well as a KB theme for wordpress

Excel and Visio mainly. I can't stand XML.

Yup vizio diagrams and excel is what I use. Management does love the visio diagrams though. Makes everything much easier to visualize and explain at a high level.

Excel and Visio mainly. I can't stand XML.

This. I tend to organize hardware by location/office which makes the visio diagrams easier to reference in a notes or title area of the Excel spreadsheet. Most other service asset or knowledge management system is overkill unless you have a ridiculously large infrastructure to manage.

You should read through here to gets some good tips on Visio design.

This is going to help some. Instructor is making us use Visio for our final graduation class project. The basic designs for icons are pretty crappy with 2007. Are there some decent ones most people use as a generic template?

You should read through here to gets some good tips on Visio design.

Good tips. But it doesn't actually tell you how to do it!? That would be far more useful.

For example, Tip 5. How do I actually make those circles?
TIP5-1-2.jpg

[/Visio n00b] :confused:

Click the Ellipse button at the top (Drop down from a square drawing in 2010) and then edit the fill and outline to get the colors you want.

Click the Ellipse button at the top (Drop down from a square drawing in 2010) and then edit the fill and outline to get the colors you want.

*facepalm Thanks, thought I should be looking for some sort of special "network group" object :D

This is going to help some. Instructor is making us use Visio for our final graduation class project. The basic designs for icons are pretty crappy with 2007. Are there some decent ones most people use as a generic template?

2013 has much better stencils that look way better than 2007/2010.

Back