How do you use 1Gbps Internet links?

pr0n, lots and lots.........and lots of it. :D

Interesting read though - I'd love to see some of the ideas they come up with to utilize that pipeline myself.

DC in my basement.....again.

From someone who currently has a 100/100 link at work, and had a 100/100 at home I can tell you that once you get above about 50Mbps you can max just about anyone's pipe out, and thus the speed is only good for multiple downloads, or if it is upload then it is awesome for hosting at home.

And here I was excited about my 50/5 at home (god I need to move back to MA).

DC in my basement.....again.

From someone who currently has a 100/100 link at work, and had a 100/100 at home I can tell you that once you get above about 50Mbps you can max just about anyone's pipe out, and thus the speed is only good for multiple downloads, or if it is upload then it is awesome for hosting at home.

And here I was excited about my 50/5 at home (god I need to move back to MA).
Since we've moved to 100/100 at work (which, for some reason is only 3x the price of a T1, and only $200 more/month than our old 10/10) I've probably only seen full speed 3 or 4 times - I'm pretty sure Apple (iTunes purchases) was one of them.

If the TOS allowed it, I'd be hosting websites. Make myself a data center. :)

For home use and as a non-pirating consumer, I can't think of much. The best would probably be streaming 720p 5gb movies over the net - 5gb/120 minute movie/60 seconds = ~700kb/sec or basically a 5.5 meg downstream on wherever I am streaming is at. Considering that a lot of people I know have 10mb+ lines, it's basically like a HD movie threater at anyones house.

Illegally, I'd charge and host 9x 10mbit seedboxes, and make some money.

Another idea, a backup service. You could have secured storage and have some kind of web based interface for users to backup their data and setup rsync jobs. Something nice and easy where they just install a little client on their servers or something and push the backups to you.

Illegal Use is where most of the bandwidth is going. Lol. But I do play games, and my sister likes to watch stuff on youtube. Even though I have a 10/1 Mbs Line, I still see some studdering in my gameplay when she is watching youtube. Hmm, highest I can go on cable is about 25/1. Oh well, till the day I see 1000Mbs, Is the day you can get stuff in like 10 min. Lol. Im not even sure if hard drives is capable of these speeds anyway for the average consumer!

TBH I'd be happy with 10 up/down. If I could get that, I could probably host my stuff at home easily. 100/100 would be perfect. Not something I will ever see in my life time though.

I just want xDSL that promises true equal speeds. i.e. 25/25 is peachy with me. The whole 50/1 shit, its getting tired and old. There's no excuses for it. I remote into my home server and move data around for transporting to remote sites a lot that way. So it would seriously benefit me to have more up than down.

If I had access to this kind of speed I'd be setting up services that would pay for it by itself and even make me some extra money. Currently hosting 3 websites off FiOS 15/5. Looking to getting into game servers. I'll upgrade as it becomes cost effective. But thats a hell of alot of websites and game servers to max out a gig line.

5 machine BF3 LAN party while the wives stream romantic comedies downstairs and the kids stream some leapfrog upstairs on netflix?? All while hosting a BF3 server?

5 machine BF3 LAN party while the wives stream romantic comedies downstairs and the kids stream some leapfrog upstairs on netflix?? All while hosting a BF3 server?

Thats assuming you will be able to host a BF3 server :(

crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Thats assuming you will be able to host a BF3 server :(

crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Don't hold your breath. It took years after BF2 stopped getting updates before we got a server client, I doubt BC2 is going to release one anytime soon, and BF3 will probably be the same way. Its all about that whole no piracy thing :(

On topic, I too am getting sick of the whole 50/5 crap, Personally I would rather pay the same price for 30/15 as I am going to use much more upload pipe then download.

- Making regularly scheduled full backups offsite would be benefit from this speed.
- Synchronizing NAS units across town (so you and your buddies can share content and have backups)
- Remotely stream ultra high def content from your home.

This thread is as funny as that article, easily able to saturate a 1Gbps circuit eh? Hope you have your multi-thousand dollar router available to sustain that much imix traffic. I think the appropriate response for everyone on this forum(including myself) would be , "hitting no more than 600Mbps sustained throughput" but more close to "hitting no more than 150Mbps sustained throughput".

some of you say you guys went to 100/100 at work, im curious as to what kind of circuits you are getting where its only 3x T1 costs?? Surely nothing with an SLA, business class cable?. We have dual DS3's and a fract DS3 for backup at our HQ and its roughly 5x the cost of 3x T1's.... If we go straight metro we're talking almost 10x the cost for offnet, and like 9x for onnet

This thread is as funny as that article, easily able to saturate a 1Gbps circuit eh? Hope you have your multi-thousand dollar router available to sustain that much imix traffic. I think the appropriate response for everyone on this forum(including myself) would be , "hitting no more than 600Mbps sustained throughput" but more close to "hitting no more than 150Mbps sustained throughput".

some of you say you guys went to 100/100 at work, im curious as to what kind of circuits you are getting where its only 3x T1 costs?? Surely nothing with an SLA, business class cable?. We have dual DS3's and a fract DS3 for backup at our HQ and its roughly 5x the cost of 3x T1's.... If we go straight metro we're talking almost 10x the cost for offnet, and like 9x for onnet

QFT

Guessing the 100/100 is Metro that's more like "burst-able to 100/100" and you get charged for any amount per time over x speed.

I work for a rather large company as well, and we only have 2x DS3's to the internet. Then again, most of our traffic goes across the cloud, via 2x Full OC3's.

Pfft. I saturate gig circuits IN MY SLEEP!

For serious though, DS3s are old school. My last place was 2x fractional OC3 (ethernet handoff with 2x100m) on the internet side and 2x300m circuits on the WAN side. The client I'm working with now has 300m circuits, I believe. No idea what anyone is paying, that's for the bean counters to worry about.

I use Ampache and Subsonic on my server at home to stream music, tv shows, and movies to my mobile devices and PC's that are outside my LAN. Having a fast upload speed than 1 would be awesome. If I had a 25/25 connection I would be perfectly happy for a long time.

Not sure what my CoLo is running for WAN hand-off, however all I know is that I have a 1GB copper drop to my rack that provides me a pretty consistent 70+ up/down stream for sustained transfers, and bursts well over 100Mbps. Upstream and downstream see similar results.

As far as running a gig connection at home, you wouldn't need a multi-million dollar router to keep the link happy. A pfSense or similar box with an i5 or i7 quad and a good strong NIC for each interface would do just fine.

You host alla your and your friends webpages from home, you do filesharing (of linux distros (A)) and you have a online backup who sync with your local files

Oh right, forgot about linux distros. You could host a mirror for various open source software.

Since when is DS3 old school? The majority of ethernet handoffs to customers are bundeled DS3's and provided via circuit emulation to corporate offices.T-CXR is still an extremely cost effective solution, though there are other downsides to it, but its far from old school.

If we're talking colocation space, then thats an entirely different story as many providers have POPs in every major DC so they can easily give you some cross-connect. We have about a dozen 1Gbps SMF handoffs each with about 300Mbps commit in each of our occupied cages. When someone says where I work, I always assume that they're refering to their corporate offices and not colocation space. Its funny when people think they're getting an on-net ethernet handoff as the majority of providers are NOT giving you ethernet to the backbone, its still TDM(sonet, ISDN, etc) the majority of the time.

as for running a 1Gbps link on an open source distro with imix traffic, good luck...they usually shit the bed after about 600Mbps of sustained internet load. I believe lots of people are having many problems with vyatta(highest performing distro) and high traffic volumes.

Last edited:
Old school as in slow. That's the kiddie pool man.

:p
Its all relative, for an enterprise its not the kiddie pool and the majority of offices will have something similar(MLPPP). If we're talking a carrier network, of course its the kiddie pool...We have 500 people in this office(60% of which are females in their early 20's) and one DS3 rarely gets saturated.

If I had a Gbit internet connection I'd find something to do with it :D

But I could probably live with 100Mbit...

Since when is DS3 old school? The majority of ethernet handoffs to customers are bundeled DS3's and provided via circuit emulation to corporate offices.T-CXR is still an extremely cost effective solution, though there are other downsides to it, but its far from old school.

I take it you haven't ordered too many data circuits in the last year or so? Metro-E is available is almost every urban/suburban area and, where available, is ALWAYS less expensive for any service over ~10Mbps (> 7 bonded T-1s). DS3 will never win on cost.

I take it you haven't ordered too many data circuits in the last year or so? Metro-E is available is almost every urban/suburban area and is ALWAYS less expensive for any service over ~10Mbps (> 7 bonded T-1s). DS3 will never win on cost in any market where Metro-E is available.

This is how I use my 1Gb link.
BE71r.png

I'd split it, some for home, some for hosting, some for a test environment. I live no where near Kansas but oh to have 1Gbps to the internet, I would definitely pay $350/month!!! (as long as there isn't a monthly cap!)

I take it you haven't ordered too many data circuits in the last year or so? Metro-E is available is almost every urban/suburban area and is ALWAYS less expensive for any service over ~10Mbps (> 7 bonded T-1s). DS3 will never win on cost in any market where Metro-E is available.
um.... actually ive ordered 3 in the past few months, one of which is dual stacked :rolleyes:. Im fairly certain that I said TDM was cost effective, not the most cost effective and especially when compared to metro-e. Thanks for playing chief.

You're one of those people that think metro-e is anything last mile ethernet eh? Go read about circuit emulation, you'll find that your "metro-e" connection may be nothing more than you on a TDM backhaul. Also, any older buildings will have have issues getting lit on-net services and this holds especially true in NYC due to LEC's. But hey, what do people at gx/l3 and vzb know?

and to contribute to the overall thread:
I would absolutely resell the service, regardless of the ToS.

Last edited:
Roliath: I think I spot a fellow redditor?

Also, yes, I downloaded Portal the other day at work with steam, only on 100/100 though, still nice :D

How do you use 1Gbps Internet links? For business this is gravy. VPNs, voice, data, etc for up to a couple hundred users should be just dandy. For home, yeah this is probably overkill. Only exception I can think of would be something like a frat house with 10 guys all chipping in. Something like 1G would be perfect for that kind of setting.

Roliath: I think I spot a fellow redditor?

Also, yes, I downloaded Portal the other day at work with steam, only on 100/100 though, still nice :D
What is a redditor?

also check the time stamps in the pictures, bc2 dl'd and install'd in 9 minutes :)

Back