How do you take the heatspreader of XMS ram?

rally9x

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to take the heatspreader off of my xms ram to see what kind of chips they are and maybe put some new thermal grease on them. Are they thermal taped on so if you take them off you won't be able to put them back together? I always figured that if you took the clip off you could see what they were...but I've been using RDRAMM for the last couple years so I don't know. I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has) but I went 10 pages back looking and I follow the forum quite often and I didn't see anything so I thought I would post. Thanks guys.

Don't do it. They are most likely Hynix or Winbond, depending on which RAM it is. I am like 99% sure that doing so will a) void warranty and most likely will also b) damage the RAM.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure its winbond too. But I would like to know if its bh or ch or whatever. There has to be a decent way to do it. I would hope so at least.

maybey someone just knows what it is. Its XMS3202 V2.2 black heatspreaders. Xms3200 512mb sticks.

I'd hate to see someone destroy some awesome memory by doing something stupid. Who cares what memory chips it has on it? Try to OC it and see how far it goes. Knowing what chips are on it isn't going to change the speeds it can attain. It's still going to go as far as before you knew.

I recently bought 2 sticks of those...apparently in CPU-Z one of them detects as a Micron Techology stick? bought then retail from newegg...so dunno what's up with that.

I think the best way to tell whether they're BH-5 or not besides removing the heat spreaders is by setting Ras-to-cas delay to "2" at about 210MHz or so (might need some extra juice, but that's okay). I believe CH-5 has a real problem with tRCD at 2 (there are some exceptions though). HTH

Those would be hard to remove. Maybe stick them in the freezer???

Don't do it. They bake the epoxy on, so those heatspreaders are not going to come off.

Originally posted by SYDANG
I recently bought 2 sticks of those...apparently in CPU-Z one of them detects as a Micron Techology stick? bought then retail from newegg...so dunno what's up with that.
I'm hoping for an internship at Micron this summer. /crosses fingers:)

Originally posted by jagec
I'm hoping for an internship at Micron this summer. /crosses fingers:)

Hopefully in a different capacity as a White House intern.

Originally posted by djnes
Hopefully in a different capacity as a White House intern.
LOL! Good luck with that internship though, is it paid or are they just going to work you like a dog?

Back