How do you release an IP on an Imac?

Gah, trying to connect my friends new pc laptop to DSL but when ipconfig renew it says unable to contact your DHCP server.

So I believe I need to release the IP on the mac before I can renew it on the PC? any ideas how?

Maybe if you posted this in the apple forums you would get more of a reply...

Ok, Im new to macs but i will answer you question (i think)
Go to sysprefs -> Network -> Renew DHCP Lease

I think

I found a system preferences document in the system folder, but when I click on it, it says it can not find the application program that created it.

Any ideas???

not there...

anyway you could send me that file?

My friend most likely deleted it or never had to use it so it wasnt installed, I dont know.

Wait a sec..
Do you know what OS your using? (Click Apple (in the upper left) then "About this Mac")

it won't make a difference as system preferences if for OS X and won't run in OS 9...now since you are trying to connect to DSL are you sure it is DHCP or is it PPPoE? because if it is DHCP you shouldn't have to release the IP (besides there is no way to do it in OS 9 anyway) as when you connect the e-net cable to the comp it should grab the next available IP...in 10.3 you have an option to release and renew your DHCP connection but not in OS 9...and as a side note in OS 9 if it IS a PPPoE connection you will need a 3rd party application like Mac Poet to make the connection...OS X on the other hand has that connection feature built into the OS

Back